Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

St. George Pro Race discussion
Quote | Reply
Yes, way too early but the start list is out, and I'm curious what everyone thinks of the TriRating predictions.

https://www.trirating.com/70-3-st-george-2021-may-1st-seedings/

Men:

I think Lionel's swim will be slightly better than predicted, I think Sam Long's bike will be MUCH MUCH better than predicted. I think Ben Kanute's bike and run will be better than predicted. Matt Hanson's run will be much better than predicted. This is a hilly course and Sam's a bigger guy so I'm not sure his watts/kg will be as good. Another loaded start line, I HOPE it is covered at least in a blog or SOMETHING this time, come on WTC!!!

I would say it's a toss up between Lionel, Sam Long and Ben Kanute for the podium, but so many other strong racers on the start line.

Women:

On the women's side, a STACKED field. Daniella raced once since Kona 2019, her disastrous race, with a first at Dubai 70.3, she appears to be back on form? If Paula is back on form, I think the three top picks on Tri-Rating look good for the women.

So stoked to have the pros racing again!!!
Quote Reply
Re: St. George Pro Race discussion [CementBottle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: St. George Pro Race discussion [CementBottle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Magnus and maybe Long are going under 2hrs on the ride unless it’s a terrible wind day
Quote Reply
Re: St. George Pro Race discussion [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's early enough in the day that they may be off their bikes, before it is "terribly" windy.
But they day will have terrible wind. It's St. George.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sub 2 bike split on a course with 3,000 ft elevation gain? That would be pretty incredible.

ETA: Sub 2 would be at least 1:15 under Sebi's 2018 course record. Couldn't find any descriptions of the conditions that year.

Darren
https://www.strava.com/athletes/12385497
Last edited by: vonagut: Apr 18, 21 12:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MadTownTRI wrote:
Magnus and maybe Long are going under 2hrs on the ride unless it’s a terrible wind day

Sub 2 on that course would be a hell of a feat. I'm no Sam Long or Ditlev but I'm 13 minutes slower on that course than I am on the Boulder 70.3... the course is a little different this year than in the past but all the significant climbs are still there. I'm hoping they replaced the awful chipseal of the first 5 miles with nice asphalt given the construction of the new road. That'll speed things up a tiny bit.

The tri rating predictions for the men seem slightly better than random. Their predictions for the women seem better but I'd move Moench further up the list, assuming she is recovered well. She's been racing a lot which may affect her.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: St. George Pro Race discussion [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speaking of Ditlev, does anyone know what happened to him today in Florida? Seems to have dropped out about 6 miles into the run. Nothing on Instagram so far.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: St. George Pro Race discussion [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone think they are actually predictions or just best times added up on a spreadsheet? As far as I can see Thorsten doesn't take into account current or improving form or even physical suitability of an athlete over a specific run or bike course. He's also wrong an awful lot.
Quote Reply
Re: St. George Pro Race discussion [MrPG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrPG wrote:
Does anyone think they are actually predictions or just best times added up on a spreadsheet? As far as I can see Thorsten doesn't take into account current or improving form or even physical suitability of an athlete over a specific run or bike course. He's also wrong an awful lot.

That's a good question. I don't know the exact methodology employed to make these predictions, I think I read it is based on past results and does a statistical analysis to predict the race results. Not sure it takes into account, current form, course profile, etc.

I just think it's an interesting talking point to get the discussion going about race day and make predictions, whether we agree with the predictions or not. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: St. George Pro Race discussion [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
Speaking of Ditlev, does anyone know what happened to him today in Florida? Seems to have dropped out about 6 miles into the run. Nothing on Instagram so far.

Yeha good question, wondered that myself.

I know he is a strong biker, but is he just overbiking every time?
Quote Reply