Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Squeaky Look Pedals?
Quote | Reply
I've read many posts on this forum about Look pedals squeaking. Am I just lucky that I've been riding my Looks since '98 with no squeaks? I change my cleats at least once per year and use genuine Look cleats. I don't remember the model number, but they were not the cheapest nor the most expensive in the Look line up.

Brett

"Du or Du not-there is no Tri" - Yoda
Quote Reply
Re: Squeaky Look Pedals? [timberwolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd have to chalk it up to luck- or taking good care of your cleats. Though I've never heard a definitive cause for the squeak, for me it seems to be happen when the cleats are a little worn, and when they get dirty. For example, if I get off the bike at a gas station and have to walk through some dirt or gravel and then get back on the bike; that's the type of situation that will cause them to start squeaking. Once they start, no amount of cleaning or lubing will make it go away. The only fix is to replace the cleats. I suspect that what's happening is that the cleat material is soft enough that debris can get embedded in it and then acts like a fingernail on a chalkboard when it starts to grind against the pedal platform. What color cleats are you using? I've been using the red cleats that have float- I don't know if the black cleats are made of a harder compound?
Quote Reply
Re: Squeaky Look Pedals? [jkatsoudas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the black cleats. I don't have a pair of red ones to compare hardness against but perhaps someone else in Slowtwitch-land has a set of both hanging around...

Brett
Quote Reply
Re: Squeaky Look Pedals? [timberwolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got both, neither of them squeak. I always set the tension to max on the pedals and abuse the cleats in every way possible. I guess I'm just lucky.

Look PP206 road bike Sidi Dynamic with Black cleats
Look 397 Tri bike Sidi T1 with Red cleats

jaretj
Quote Reply