Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Spoiler: Biathlon Relay World Championships
Quote | Reply
Norway wins thanks to OEB. At the last change they were 4-5 seconds down, and after the last shoot they were 35 seconds up. He almost cruised the last lap to win by 25 or 30 seconds.

It's a shame about Germany though; they couldn't get their shooting straight at all.

And finally Austria really deserved that 3rd place. They haven't won anything in their own championship, but they kicked ass in the relay. That last Belarus skier must feel awful after he screwed up his standing shoot.

Paulo? Sergio? Lets here some comments :)
Quote Reply
Re: Spoiler: Biathlon Relay World Championships [freestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, let's hear some exciting commentary! Here in the US we get no biathlon coverage. Sure, I'll be able to read a few paragraphs about it at: http://www.biathlonworld.com/eng/news/default.htm -- but that's not enough. If I'm lucky, in about a month OLN will air the Men's pursuit race from the world championships. I'll tape what I can get and watch it several times to satisfy my hunger for biathlon -- but OLN isn't likely to give me any relay excitement. If you guys taped it, I'd love to "borrow" a copy.

I'd happily share a lane at the pool with everyone from my town (pop. 100,000+) who knows what OEB means in your recap.

BTW, is SF gonna hang on for the OA title?
Quote Reply
Re: Spoiler: Biathlon Relay World Championships [Wags] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I raced biathlon for a number of years, including National level events. I actually sold my Anschutz this year as the local Nat Guard put the races on...and they have all been sent to Iraq! It is a very spectator friendly sport, even my wife liked to go watch. OEB is on a tear for sure, new shooting coach has helped a lot. He will be very tough to beat at Torino next year!

Kurt

http://www.pbmcoaching.com
USA Triathlon Level 3 Elite Coach
USA Cycling Level 1 Elite Coach

Quote Reply
Re: Spoiler: Biathlon Relay World Championships [trukweaz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kurt, I envy your participation in the sport of biathlon.

I have no experience with (or real interest in) target shooting by itself, yet I find the biathlon format to be more exciting than any other sport to watch. I admit that I love to XC ski and love to watch the powerful and graceful technique of the best skiers. But biathlon makes the race unfold like no other sport. It would be great if a skill similar to shooting (but more accessible to everyone) could be incorporated into the local citizen racing scene -- running and nordic skiing for starters. I really think it could catch on.

Jim
Quote Reply
Re: Spoiler: Biathlon Relay World Championships [freestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was a great race! Man, I could not believe the day Rico and Sven had on the range!!! But I never liked Wolf...

Anyway, great solid race by the Norwegians, but I'm guessing the race would have been even more exciting if Lars Berger had started :-p

The Russians were solid but a bit disapointing. Roshkov was class act though. And the Austrians deserved the medal with a great shooting score.

A great day at the races :-)))

PS - Sérgio was out in the road doing a 4h ride...

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Re: Spoiler: Biathlon Relay World Championships [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What happened with Berger -- some kind of safety violation in a previous relay? Is that why he was left off the relay or is it b/c his shooting is unreliable?

Also, would someone explain the the difference in relay shooting/penalty vs the individual events?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Spoiler: Biathlon Relay World Championships [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah it would have been interesting if Anderrson (?) had raced. If I'm not confusing him with anyone else, he's probably the fastest skiing biathlete there is. Too bad his shooting sucks. I remember they said he could be a top XC skier with his speed.
Quote Reply
Re: Spoiler: Biathlon Relay World Championships [Wags] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
in relay you get 8 rounds (there is a place to hold them in the bottom of the magazine, or on the stock of the rifle) to hit the 5 targets. This promotes a quicker "go for broke" attitude on the range. But if you have to use the "relay rounds" they must be hand loaded wich is a pain as you have to reset your position.

Berger and Andresen have been off on their shooting all year. I think Berger might have lost some form after competing at the nordic worlds and getting a 4th in the 15K skate there. Frode is just a loose cannon (excuse the pun). he almost rapid fires at the targets and hopes the fall.

I think the dissapointment of the Biathlon worlds has been rafael poiree, and the fact that his hot wife Liv Grete is not racing either.

Kurt

http://www.pbmcoaching.com
USA Triathlon Level 3 Elite Coach
USA Cycling Level 1 Elite Coach

Quote Reply
Re: Spoiler: Biathlon Relay World Championships [trukweaz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Kurt! Now the shooting scores (e.g., 0+2, 1+3) and strategy make sense.

In spite of LGP's and RP's dominance last year -- given the fine line between winning and MOP, maybe remaining #1 biathletes and #1 parents isn't possible?
Quote Reply