Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Spirit O' Racine Roll Call
Quote | Reply
I'm in. Will endeavour to wear my Peaceful Tribe shirt post race.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Spirit O' Racine Roll Call [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm going to be there. I probably won't have my Peaceful Tribe shirt(longsleeve) on since it's supposed to be in 90's ;-)

"luck is at the intersection of preparation and opportunity"

http://www.drinkmorecustomwater.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BTW, have you done this race before? What is the bike like? Any tips/suggestions, stuff I should really know? The only other half I've done is Eagleman and it is pancake flat, non-technical.

Quote Reply
Re: Spirit O' Racine Roll Call [choptank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in...with the target on my back..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've not done the race.

From what I've read it's a fast course. Potentially short (last year the swim was definitely short and/or current assisted and the run may have been a tad short). Roads are supposed to be okay. Run is supposed to be a pancake. Totally. Finishing times are similar to Eagleman, actually a bit faster last year due to the shorter swim. I'd expect a roller here and there on the bike, but nothing of any substance.

It will be hot. Likely hotter than Eagleman. Carry thermotabs/salt-pills. Perhaps add one or two endurolytes/thermolyte capsules to your water-bottles. Try this during the week. This is one of the hardest parts of long course racing -- managing calories and hydration. I'd be prepared for cramping. Remember to take salt & pottasium (bananas/OJ) the day before when most people "super-hydrate." Many people enter races hyponatremic from drinking gallons of water on Saturday without also taking salt. Add extra salt to your food. Eat an extra banana. Don't put yourself behind the 8-ball by thinking you must be pissing clear fluid every 30 minutes so that you know you are "hydrated." Day before hydration and caloric management are just as critical as in race management.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the tips, I've never had a problem with not having enough salt/potassium that I know of, but I will definitely try and consume a bit more the day before. I've also never used tablets/capsules before. During Eagleman this year I was moving so slow on the run that I don't think cramping was ever an issue :-) I've been sick this week and haven't swum in 10 days so I don't have real high expectations for this race other than trying something new and having fun. I put way too much pressure/expectations on myself for Eagleman this year and when I had a bad race it was a real bitter pill to swallow. So if the conditions are like Eagleman I will probably dial it down a notch on the bike so I hopefully avoid the "ironman shuffle" on the run.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the course 2 years ago (a horrible day!). I've ridden the course twice in the past month. The course is VERY straightforward...nothing to be concerned about or even consider. I think there's maybe one hill that you will notice..."maybe" another that you'll think "yup, a little hill"...but overall a very easy course. I read many threads about the roads being in poor condition. I didn't notice anything poor about the roads. In summary, a very typical course.

The run is VERY flat...goes through a neighborhood (no shade whatsoever but neighbors hose you with water) then through a zoo on the lakefront (very good shade).

Well, that's my pre-race report for you...

Oops, there is one short but steep hill coming out of transition (both bike and run) but it's VERY short.
Last edited by: Clarence1997: Jul 21, 05 20:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cold water. They need to have to swim further out in the lake. Otherwise, you can literally walk the swim back (nearer the beach).

Bike could be interesting if there is wind.....literally no/not many trees on course after you get out of town. Average pavement....spots of poor (sectioned) road, but nuttin too bad. The roads w/o shoulders are very rural. I'd check the wind report to determine your strategy on the bike...it could be tricky.

Pancake flat run (as mentioned)

My "posse" won't do the race again b/c its in the middle of the Racine ghetto and my buddy's girlfriend was harassed to no end by some locals. Oh well. I thought the course was nice and very well run....minus the sharp downhill run the last 100m...
Quote Reply
Re: Spirit O' Racine Roll Call [Smitty8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I may be there watching...if so, I will have Peaceful Tribe garb on.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Spirit O' Racine Roll Call [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I won't be there. Hurt calf last month and need rest before my IM Moo ramp-up next week.

Will put in 250 bike miles instead.

Make sure your cheer on the gal wearing the GB packer cheerleader outfit. Don't let the outfit fool you, she's 100% stud and doing the race for fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be there, racing hard. Last year I had to scrub this race due to a broken arm. Swim was very short last year, but there were some fairly nasty waves. The story this year will be the heat, and possible T-Storms. Hope they hold off til the run.

Number5
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
See you there. First time for me as well. Don't carry anything metal on your bike, lightening can hurt you know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in. Hopefully a little cloud cover will seep in and keep the temps down, else it will be a scorcher.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not doing the race this year, but the have done it previous 2 yrs. Swim will depend on weather. Last year there were 3-5 ft waves with a current so we walked down the beach and then swam through the surf then paralleled the beach. The last bouy got moved so a short course. Nice little run through the sand to T1. Bike is pretty flat with the exception of one or two rollers. If they do the same route as last year the roads are rough with lots of expansion cracks. Still a pretty flat course but watch for launched "stuff". The run is virtually flat with some really easy rollers. The distance is very accurate. The hardest part of the run is the short steep hill coming out of T2. Have a great race - HFP does it right.

Larry

Don't be afraid to ride too long or too hard. That's what cell phones are for. Rich Strauss
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
smitty, for a not very technically-knowledgable biker, how do you change your strategy for the wind? say, winds out of the south at 15-20, what do you do differently when riding different directions?

i think my only strategy with wind is to curse as much as possible when the wind is strong and in my face. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Spirit O' Racine Roll Call [swimgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can I copy your "wind strategy" Ms. SwimGirl?...on that diamond :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in as well. Done it the past 2 years. As others mentioned, the swim was a bit short and very current-assisted last year. I wouldn't count on it being short again this year, but you never know what the current will be. The bike course winds around a bit out of T1, but once you get out on the open roads, it's pretty smooth sailing - a few rollers and spots of crappy pavement, but otherwise a pretty fast course. I don't remember seeing alot of flats the last couple of years, but if you start to see water bottles and spares on the road, be on the lookout for a rough spot - also, at several intersections, there are rumble strips built into the road surface - they'll rattle your 'boys' if you ride over 'em. The run is very flat and very hot - a la Eagleman. A couple of tips - 1) be prepared for wind. Two years ago, we had some significant headwinds on the way out, and the wind shifted during the ride, keeping the wind in our faces the whole way. 2) Try the drink they'll have on the course (Infinit) at check-in tomorrow. They had it last year, and it was flat out nasty - I understand that they've put alot of work into the formulation and I hear it's much improved, but better to know in advance. Current temp preditions are for 100+, so stay hydrated.

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: Spirit O' Racine Roll Call [Clarence1997] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure! Just don't curse at the Guru as you ride by (even if the wind is in your face). Be sure to tell her how fast she looks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lol, I'll even try to give her a pat on the back!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be there as well.

~Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think your strategy is a very good one! ;o)

http://www.spiritofracinetri.com/...urse_sort_061605.pdf

For me, I need to determine what part of the course plays to my strength....which is either long sustained aero power or long sustained climbs. (The short sprints and short steep hills aren't really good to me). Basically...anywhere I can get in my zone and catch everybody who beat me out of the water. Just like PacMan...you are gobbling the tiny dots, but need to strategically use your Power Pills to really make your move.

In shorter race, you go fast until you puke. In 1/2 (once again, for me) nutrition plays a key role and I need to give myself time/patience rather than go with HR. Racing against other people is a bit different than racing against yourself or the clock....

Perhaps worthy of another thread to get the "coaches" involves here.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I like the pac man analogy. This will be my first 1/2 and I've been very much go-fast-til-(just-before)-you-puke in shorter races lately. I'm having a little trouble visualizing how to do this race with more control. Any more tips are greatly appreciated!
Quote Reply
One Small piece of advice [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Make sure your bike is in the easiest, smallest, lowest - whatever you want to call it - in the transition.

I saw plenty of riders struggling and falling to get up the hill out of T1.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just stay "smooth & strong"...try to keep a smooth pace for everything (swim, bike, and run). As others have said here: drink plenty of water PLUS plenty of sodium (salt) the night before and during the race. You'll do that Guru proud.
Quote Reply
Anyone know the Wave Start order? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the race packet they only say "Final wave starts will be posted on Saturday"

Any idea what they did last year?

~Matt
Quote Reply

Prev Next