Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Spinergy Xaero lites vs. Mavic Kysrium Elite
Quote | Reply
Hey guys - what's the word with these wheels? They seem fairly light - about 1540g/pair (700c).

I currently ride Mavic Kysrium Elites - about 1730g/pair (700c). I know I'm not talking race wheels here, but the Spinergy's seem to be pretty light for a clincher. Are they any good?

I won't be forking out any cash for race wheels any time soon, but I am doing Placid next summer, so I'm wonderring if it's worth it to sell my Mavic's and put on a pair of Spinergy's in an effort to save about 200g on wheels, and maybe be a bit faster/lighter on the climbs.
Last edited by: GearGrinder: Sep 12, 05 12:37
Quote Reply
Re: Spinergy Xaero lites vs. Mavic Kysrium Elite [GearGrinder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just do a search on either and you'll find a ton of opinions. Having used the spinergy xaero lites from 2003? I don't think they would make any difference from kysrium elites. They're very comfortable wheels but I found they got out of true quickly, would (seem) to move side to side when sprinting and that noisy rear hub was annoying. I believe in aero wheels regardless of weight. My shamals are ancient (got them cheap) and even though they're a little heavier uphill they feel that much more solid downhill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want to save weight try the American Classic Sprint 350's (<1400 gm, or nimble spider. I think they can be obtained for less???????

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kysium elites are about the most under-rated most overlooked wheels around. they are about 99% as good as the sl version; the only difference being aluminum spokes and shaved rims on the sl's (all for a little less weight, no discernible difference in ride).

i've got untold thousands of miles on elites with no problems. they are stiff, true, light enough and 'feel' fast. great hubs, great rims, stainless spokes with steel nips. and they arent terribly expensive. i've never had to true mine, and they get ridden evrywhere ... MUT, gravel roads, etc.

i dont think you would benefit at all by going with the spinergy wheels. if you are going to spend money on wheels, go for aero. that's the only area where you would improve on the elites.

best of luck. take care, jc

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The elites may be heavier, but I bet you a dollar they are faster wheels. Mavic makes exceptional hubs, second only to Campy IMO (I ride Campy and since King doesn't make a campy hub, they are off my list).

I rode spinergys for a while. They were OK, but not great. The axle on the rear cracked, not sure if it cracked before or after I got hit by a car, but when I was inspecting it after the wreck, I noticed that there were cracks around the drive side if the axle.

Finally, 200g is not going to make that big of a difference in your speed - even climbing. You want aero more that light weight, and I don't think one is much more aero than the other.
Quote Reply
Re: Spinergy Xaero lites vs. Mavic Kysrium Elite [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input guys. Any suggestions for an aero wheel set that won't break the bank, but are still pretty decent? I'm not talking Zipp's here, or disc wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the Campy Zonda, but there were issues with them coming out of round - "flowering" is what they called it. They fixed this on the 2006 Eurus, not sure about the Zonda, though.

Another good option is a set of Mavic CXP33's or Velocity Deep V's mated to some good (Dura-Ace/Campy Record/Chris King) hubs. 28 spokes is probably all you need. They are not the lightest wheels around, but they will be very reliable.

Still not sure that any of these options will be better than the Mavic's that you already own.

How about this - a Hed3 front and a CH wheel cover for the rear? $600 for the setup and aero enough to make a difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I put nearly 20K miles on on the Spinergy's over the past 18 months. I found them pretty reliable (stayed fairly true), but I did have a fair few problems with the rear hub. I thought they were very comfortable, and even raced a couple of IMs on them. I was not, however, impressed with Spinergy's customer service, which frankly sucked.

I just bought a set of the Kysrium Elites (~800 miles ago), and wow, what a great wheel set! I've been very impressed, they are a very fast wheel, strong and responsive...pretty much bombproof. (They also make an interesting sound when turning through a crosswind. Kinda like a stealth helicopter or something.) I'm truing up my Spinergy's this weekend, and will sell them on a used bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
How about this - a Hed3 front and a CH wheel cover for the rear? $600 for the setup and aero enough to make a difference.
What's the web-site for the CH wheel covers? I remember ookign at it recently, but have no idea how to find it again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

That's exactly what popped into my pea brain. tough to beat for the $$$.

Here's what I'm thinking about for next years race wheels: Hed3C in the back combined with a Stinger in the front. I think this would be a fast combo good for all conditions.

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Quote Reply
Re: Spinergy Xaero lites vs. Mavic Kysrium Elite [jcurtis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good for all conditions except wet ones. Steve Hed himself mentioned that the Disco team opts for the aluminum rimmed H3's when it is wet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
www.excelsports.com has them, as does www.wheelbuilder.com

Wheelbuilder will pre-cut them for you, which is nice.
Quote Reply