Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Spinal Fusion- looking for neurosurgeon
Quote | Reply
I would really appreciate hearing from anyone who has had low back spinal fusion from a supportive neurosurgeon and has had success returning to running (and Tri's). I live in Florida so ideally (with some luck??) maybe there is someone out there in Slowtwitch forum world who lives in Florida and has had the surgery here with success returning to Tri's.

Even the southeast is not out of the question, though.

I've read the posts from trimama and gleveq (thanks very much!!) about their successes and Dr. V at Boulder Neurosurgical, but I've checked with my insurance company's office in Colorado, and they have told me that Dr. V's practice is not participating with that particular insurance company- I am also in the process of confirming directly with his office.

Any help with recommendations on surgeons would be greatly appreciated!!
Quote Reply
Re: Spinal Fusion- looking for neurosurgeon [JT66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny you mention Dr V. I had a fusion on L4/5 almost 2 years ago. I was walking 3 miles within 10 days. I'm back to racing but not at the level I was pre surgery. In regards to training my swimming and biking are great no issues at all. The run does give me some discomfort at times....I just use the foam roller and it usually takes care of it.
Good luck and do tons of research before the surgery. I did everything I could to avoid surgery but the reality was I needed it. I flew in from SoCal and stayed a week in boulder for the surgery. We loved Colorado so much that 6 months later my family and I moved to the boulder area.
For what it's worth I had the surgery at 38 and had to start a new career as I was unable to physically do my line of work. Let me know if u have any other questions.
Lou-
Quote Reply
Re: Spinal Fusion- looking for neurosurgeon [Louis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Couple of things:
- did/do either or both of you have disk degenration? Or just disk herniations?
- Lewis, when you have low back problems after a run, where on your body do you foam roll?
Quote Reply
Re: Spinal Fusion- looking for neurosurgeon [mjpwooo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did/do have DD my last 3 MRI's showed the area of the disk and it was just black...Basically gone.. I roll wherever it's tight...lower back, upper back, hammies, IT bands. etc...
Quote Reply
Re: Spinal Fusion- looking for neurosurgeon [Louis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hijack OP.

Lewis, my Neuro told me that I probably should give up running so that I could avoid the fusion surgery. Been tough to accept but I'm slowly coming around to that.

What did your doc say to you about running with DD and your fusion? I have been told that once you start going down the road of fusion/back surgery, it begets more surgery. The docs told me this. I assume it's true and accurate.

Do you participate in IM distance? Oly/Sprint?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tito ORtiz - UFC fighter had surgery and was very positive about the surgeon - Dr William Smith (in Vegas though) /
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i believe dr v also did simon lessings back...not to mention him and his brother are gosh diddly darn good athletes themselves...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had 3 docs in OC that told me if they did the surgery I would never run again. Dr V said that was basically bullshit! In my 1 year follow up everything looked good and I got the go to be a "normal" person again. I figure I'll need some type of surgery again on my back...... I like living life and sometimes that means doing things u shouldn't. I'm not going to take up chess anytime soon.
As for the distance that I race I do mostly oly with one or two halfs thrown in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perhaps you should first find a neurosurgeon and find out if you really need a spine fusion?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply, Louis! Sounds like you had a good outcome with Dr. V (as expected!). Boulder must be nice-
Sorry about the new career start, though.

Mjpwooo- I have disk herniation and sponydlolisthesis.

fedor123- I had heard that about Tito Ortiz- think he's had SEVERAL surgeries- then returning to MMA? WOW!

Butch- Simon Lessing? wow! That's "where the air is rare" that's for sure!

bhobbe- have had 2 independent surgical consults- both surgeons said I need the surgery- (both said the exact same type, etc)

So now I'm hoping someone may know of someone like Dr. V in FL or southeast!!

Thanks for the replies!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where in Florida? I am in Tampa.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 46 yrs. old and very active. About ten years ago I was diagnosed with DDD, bulging disc and surgery was recommended. At that time I didn't want a zipper ( open laminectomy )put in my back. It seemed to me most developed scare tissue later resulting in new or more pain. So I researched and had a (A.L.I.F.) Anterior lumbar interbody fusion with the LT-cage with the infuse bone graph. I did not want the pain from the hip either. I think this is the best approach for non traumatic injury such as our cases. I since have continued to coach wrestling, ride motorcross, professional outfitter, and since last year changed my hobby of bodybuilding to triathlion training. Can't say racing yet still to slow.... Last year i ran a sprint and enjoyed it. I have since ran a half marathlon, a sprint, a oly, boise half and training for AZIM. All I can say is I am totally happy with my decision to have this procedure. The information for this procedure can be found on back.com. There you can find a doctor locally to perform this type of surgery.
If you have any questions feel free to ask. Good luck and God bless Randy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You trust their diagnosis, but not their ability to do the surgery.
Quote Reply
Re: Spinal Fusion- looking for neurosurgeon [Randy@huntutah] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info, Randy- looks like "you've never looked back"! congrats on your recovery! I will check out back.com. , and definitely look at that specific procedure. Your surgery wasn't in Florida I take it.
Congrats on going into Triathlons and those running races. Best of luck ongoing!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Central Florida -
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in Western Canada, and I had an L5-S1 spinal fusion when I was 15 (1978) after a rugby accident, and had no problems stumbling around in my sedentary lifestyle until I started to take up running and eventually long course triathlons (including IMC) in my 40s. I needed a microdiscectomy at L4-5 4 years ago after rupturing a disc with a poorly executed hamstring stretch, but recovered quickly and have done 3 half irons, three Xterras and a marathon since without any problems at all. I will proudly do my third Ironman Canada next weekend. While I can't recommend a surgeon you could access, know that full recovery (and them some) is very possible after major back surgery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in Tampa. My neurosurgeon recommended i stop running to avoid fusion surgery down the road (maybe 10 years?). I like him a lot.

Second opinion neurosurgeon is very highly respected as well and i know two people (one very well) that have had discectomy surgery. They love him. I am in Tampa so PM me if you want details.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I fix spines for a living. There are too many variables to answer your questions. But in general, a lumbar fusion is compatible with a very active lifestyle. Essential needs: accurate diagnosis, properly done surgery, appropriate rehab, good patient protoplasm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ryan Glasser in Sarasota. He did my micro disectomy. A friend of mine did a lot of research for his surgery and received very positive feedback about Dr. Glasser. Apparently Univ. of Florida said he is one of the best doctors to graduate from there.

Quote | Reply
Dr Gary Moskovitz. Tampa and Clearwate. http://www.drmoskovitzspine.com/location.html
he did my discectomy. i'm still doing IMs. he came highly recommended and i highly recommend him. knows how to treat athletes.

Quote | Reply
JT66. This is Dr V. My practice takes all insurances I am aware of. Let me know what the problem is & I will try to work it out. I make a special effort to take care of fellow athletes & even if you don't have any insurance I will evaluate your particular case at no charge by looking at your films & calling you, as I do for many athletes from out of the country. Regarding all the comments on this post. I utilize much less invasive techniques than the LT cage to accomplish the same result. Many other factors & options. Let me know if I can help. Visit bnasurg.com for more info on the types of things available & to get in touch as well
Quote Reply
Re: Spinal Fusion- looking for neurosurgeon [DrV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. V, Thanks very much for your note. I talked with Jackie today, and she said that you do take the insurance. I'm not sure why the CO office of the company says they don't find your practice on the list. I will make another call to that office and try to get it clarified.

Thanks again- I hope it works out!
Quote Reply
Re: Spinal Fusion- looking for neurosurgeon [kesiro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kesiro,

Thanks a million for the note and the encouragement- I'm pushing on!
Quote Reply
Re: Spinal Fusion- looking for neurosurgeon [SRQ_3sport] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SRQ_3sport- thanks very much- will check it out
Quote Reply
Re: Spinal Fusion- looking for neurosurgeon [timeforacompact] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timeforacompact- Thanks very much- will check it out
Quote Reply

Prev Next