Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Speed Concept Speed Box - faster with or without?
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know whether the speed box improves the bike's aerodynamics or is just a practical storage device?
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept Speed Box - faster with or without? [valdlaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i beleive it is and its discussed somewhere on the speedconecpt thread but its a long one so hard to find

while on the topic does anyone know if its faster to have an empty bontranger aero bottle on the frame vs leaving it off and which tube its more aero on. thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept Speed Box - faster with or without? [speedbullet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe the consensus was that the box was aerodynamically neutral. So no penalty for running it.

Frame is more aero with the Bontrager Aero bottle. Put it on the seat tube.
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept Speed Box - faster with or without? [drewmc3656] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drewmc3656 wrote:
I believe the consensus was that the box was aerodynamically neutral. So no penalty for running it.

Thanks Are there sources for those two assertions?
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept Speed Box - faster with or without? [drewmc3656] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drewmc3656 wrote:

I recall reading something similar but can never remember where. I also haven't seen the actual data. So, should I just slap an empty water bottle on?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl from Trek.
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept Speed Box - faster with or without? [elpete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure why not? Not going to hurt anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe it IS more aero with the Speed Box bolted to the frame. I know I remember reading that somewhere, just wish I remember where.

---------------------------------------------------------------
2014 Wattie Ink. Elite Team

ISM Seat, PowerBar, SpeedFil, BlueSeventy, Rev3, Reynolds Wheels, 454 Tattoo, FuelBelt, Herbalife24, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept Speed Box - faster with or without? [speedbullet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Empty Bontrager Aero Bottle on the seat tube is where I've always heard makes it faster.

---------------------------------------------------------------
2014 Wattie Ink. Elite Team

ISM Seat, PowerBar, SpeedFil, BlueSeventy, Rev3, Reynolds Wheels, 454 Tattoo, FuelBelt, Herbalife24, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept Speed Box - faster with or without? [FFCaldwell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FFCaldwell wrote:
Empty Bontrager Aero Bottle on the seat tube is where I've always heard makes it faster.

I was trying to find some data on that. I find it odd in the white paper them make the comparison with the P4 (w/ water bottle) but do not specify that a water bottle was used on the SC testing. If it was faster, I would think they would have used that data in the comparison with the P4. Maybe they just left that off or maybe I'm not looking at the correct white paper.
Last edited by: elpete: Aug 27, 11 16:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try looking on trek's site for white papers I think I read some stuff about the bottle on there
Quote Reply
Re: Speed Concept Speed Box - faster with or without? [elpete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could argue that the P4 water bottle is part of the bike whereas the bontrager bottle is not part of the speed concept, it's simply an aerodynamic water bottle.
Quote Reply