Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Specialized Shiv TT (not Tri)
Quote | Reply
New Shiv TT on Specialized website

That sure is a lot of space between the seat tube and rear tire.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Last edited by: refthimos: Jul 2, 19 9:40
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv TT (not Tri) [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Specialized wrote:

Disc brakes are now a necessity in TTs with variable weather, tight corners, and rough surfaces. Not only do they let you late-brake into corners and shift on the bars, but they also create a more stable chassis in corners and when accelerating. And don't worry, they don't lend themselves to any additional drag [emphasis added]

Ready... Set... Fight!

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Last edited by: refthimos: Jul 2, 19 9:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"less" ugly than I would have guessed.

Still ugly though, and probably very ugly outside of "S-Works" black paint scheme.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I knew it, global warming is the cause of disc brakes!

Looked at the Geometry chart...Pad X has an adjustable range of just under 30mm... was hoping for more.

Specialized wrote:

Disc brakes are now a necessity in TTs with variable weather, tight corners, and rough surfaces. Not only do they let you late-brake into corners and shift on the bars, but they also create a more stable chassis in corners and when accelerating. And don't worry, they don't lend themselves to any additional drag [emphasis added]

Last edited by: bloodyshogun: Jul 2, 19 10:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That massive gap between the seat tube and the tire....yikes. I would imagine Specialized knows what they are doing, but this seems to be the opposite of what every other manufacturer has done in the past 10-15 trying to hide the wheel/tire...

It looks like the bolts front detailer hanger is placed between the tire and seat tube. Interesting choice. Looks nice when you are running 1x, but I imagine this was one of the reasons they couldn't close that gap a little.

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What... what's... *leans in and squints* What's going on behind the seat tube??? There are two bosses there as well for... something. I'm not going to delve into the whole disc thing but saying this is the "most adjustable TT bike ever" is a bold (and false) claim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The other thing that jumped out at me is the seat tube angle. Pretty shallow (though the same it looks like compared to the previous Shiv TT). But I guess comparing a TT bike to tri bike can be apples to oranges given UTI rules about how far back the saddle needs to be.

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Specialized designed the tt bike for wider tire clearance just in case the owner wants to use it as a gravel bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv TT (not Tri) [chadm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chadm wrote:
Specialized designed the tt bike for wider tire clearance just in case the owner wants to use it as a gravel bike.

i lol'd. thank you!

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was going to say the same thing! Need clearance for those monster tires, because bigger is always better...

I was hoping for more and better photos to see more of the details. So weird. The UCI deemed that tucking the rear wheel into the seat tube was so good they made a rule against it. Will they now restrict how big the gap can be... ?;)

Looks like the same design team who brought us the Shiv Tri, which has some questionable elements IMO. I'll reserve judgement until I see good windtunnel testing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What a bunch of marketing gobblety gook justifying disc brakes, and I am not even against discs. Interesting that the bike profile in the geometry section has that huge gap behind the seat tube filled. Maybe that's where the ebike motor is fitted. Also different rotors, 2x crankset, extensions.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:
Specialized wrote:

Ready... Set... Fight!

So, not only can I late-brake, but the disc brakes let me shift on the bars, too! Holy crap, what a game changer; wonder why nobody ever thought of that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay, first off I love the look of this tt bike with cyclocross tires.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An interesting marketing position. I also would love to see wind tunnel numbers. Seems like they are trying to hit the weight weenie tt crowd. But with all the proven advantages of aero over weight... especially at pro speeds... one wonders if this is more hype than science.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv TT (not Tri) [Rocket_racing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocket_racing wrote:
An interesting marketing position. I also would love to see wind tunnel numbers. Seems like they are trying to hit the weight weenie tt crowd. But with all the proven advantages of aero over weight... especially at pro speeds... one wonders if this is more hype than science.

I bet there are certain mountain TT stages that this will excel at. And I wouldn’t be surprised if this is what the pro tour riders asked for.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv TT (not Tri) [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pun_Times wrote:
The other thing that jumped out at me is the seat tube angle. Pretty shallow (though the same it looks like compared to the previous Shiv TT). But I guess comparing a TT bike to tri bike can be apples to oranges given UTI rules about how far back the saddle needs to be.

Urinary Tract Infection?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chadm wrote:

As crappy as the roads are around here, especially this time of year when they're putting down fresh "chunk-seal" (kinda like chip seal, but with bigger, coarser aggregate), a TT/tri bike that could fit 650b x 42s for training would be great.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv TT (not Tri) [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
Pun_Times wrote:

Urinary Tract Infection?

Ha. Autocorrect got me on that one. Not the first time I’ve inserted a medical term by accident

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv TT (not Tri) [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pun_Times wrote:
japarker24 wrote:
Pun_Times wrote:

Urinary Tract Infection?

Ha. Autocorrect got me on that one. Not the first time I’ve inserted a medical term by accident

Not altogether inappropriate, though.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv TT (not Tri) [Rocket_racing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocket_racing wrote:

The marketing isn't that great, "...the new Shiv is as fast in the wind tunnel as the bike it replaces."

Not that great because the old Shiv wasn't considered best-in-class in aerodynamics.

I do think the behind-the-seat-post derailleur mount is kinda clever. That's the best I can say about it....
Last edited by: trail: Jul 3, 19 6:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Received a response about the reasoning for the giant hideous gap behind the seat tube from Chris Yu, from Specialized. He stated that it is for "removing the material (weight) that doesn't provide aero benefit, especially when paired with a 321 disc wheel."

Personally, I think the bike takes an aesthetics hit because of this "weight reduction".
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv TT (not Tri) [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T-wrecks wrote:
What a bunch of marketing gobblety gook justifying disc brakes, and I am not even against discs. Interesting that the bike profile in the geometry section has that huge gap behind the seat tube filled. Maybe that's where the ebike motor is fitted. Also different rotors, 2x crankset, extensions.

That is the Shiv Tri, not the Shiv TT.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv TT (not Tri) [Jimi Sendrix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jimi Sendrix wrote:
Received a response about the reasoning for the giant hideous gap behind the seat tube from Chris Yu, from Specialized. He stated that it is for "removing the material (weight) that doesn't provide aero benefit, especially when paired with a 321 disc wheel."

Personally, I think the bike takes an aesthetics hit because of this "weight reduction".

I'm not an expert, but I don't quite get it because I always thought the point of monocoque designs was that you could achieve strength by using less material over a larger volume. It's not like they designed the bike "too strong" with the gap filled, then cut away the excess material to save weight.

Though maybe with seat tube stresses you need that dense column of material regardless of what you put elsewhere?
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv TT (not Tri) [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
chadm wrote:

As crappy as the roads are around here, especially this time of year when they're putting down fresh "chunk-seal" (kinda like chip seal, but with bigger, coarser aggregate), a TT/tri bike that could fit 650b x 42s for training would be great.

TBH I’ve often wondered if this would be feasible for a TT bike for training on really crappy roads. If you look at the most recent Orbea Ordu’s fork, if it had disc brakes it could probably clear 650b x 42s. Rear triangle definitely can’t clear anything more than maybe 28s or 30s but I wonder how much of an aero penalty would be imposed by having wider stays given how “dirty” airflow is back there.
Quote Reply

Prev Next