Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Specialized Roubaix as a gravel bike?
Quote | Reply
I recently got my first tri bike (QR PRfive) and was thinking about converting my Roubaix SL4 Disc Comp to a gravel bike...really, just changing the tires out. It's a great bike, strong CF frame, but I'm wondering if it could handle the abuse of non-paved roads. Does anyone have any similar experience with this bike or other road bikes going to gravel?

- John
"Have courage, and be kind."
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Roubaix as a gravel bike? [OtterJohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frame only has clearance for 33mm tires. That's going to be really limiting for gravel applications.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OtterJohn wrote:
I recently got my first tri bike (QR PRfive) and was thinking about converting my Roubaix SL4 Disc Comp to a gravel bike...really, just changing the tires out. It's a great bike, strong CF frame, but I'm wondering if it could handle the abuse of non-paved roads. Does anyone have any similar experience with this bike or other road bikes going to gravel?

I just take a Roubaix 2020 to use it also as a gravel bike. With 32mm tires I could do also soft offroad routes. And i I want to put a larger tires I could think to put 650 wheels
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Roubaix as a gravel bike? [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fredly wrote:
Frame only has clearance for 33mm tires. That's going to be really limiting for gravel applications.

Thanks, that was going to be a question I had to figure out: how wide of a tire can I run.

- John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny, I have the same setup! QR PR5 tri bike and a Roubaix road/gravel bike. I have the 2020 model with 35 mm tires on it, love it! I've done a few gravel events with it, no issues at all. The only thing I'd recommend is putting some extra protection on the down tube and chain stays. Mine has gotten pretty dinged up with fly pebbles. I live on a dirt road so it gets frequent off-pavement use.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Roubaix as a gravel bike? [smccauley49] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice! My Roubaix is a 2016, so a little different. I was looking at downtube "fenders" or rock deflectors to protect it.

- John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you could do it. but my crystal ball says that most of you will be buying, if you buy new, gravel bikes with tires between 47mm and 57mm in width, mounted on 27.5" wheels. this means a pretty different frame than a roubaix.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Roubaix as a gravel bike? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
you could do it. but my crystal ball says that most of you will be buying, if you buy new, gravel bikes with tires between 47mm and 57mm in width, mounted on 27.5" wheels. this means a pretty different frame than a roubaix.

That seems to make more sense, the more reading I'm doing on the subject. Guess I'll have to just get another bike! ;)

- John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OtterJohn wrote:
Slowman wrote:

That seems to make more sense, the more reading I'm doing on the subject. Guess I'll have to just get another bike! ;)

that's too bad!! ;-)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m actually thinking the opposite. I have a Specialized Diverge and was looking at putting a compact crank on it so as not to spin out on the toad. I run 32 slicks on it and never have gone beyond 38.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Roubaix disc bike. Not sure which model, it’s Ultegra Di2. It’s also the first year disc bike, which may be 2016. It has the weird rear wheel spacing which is called SCS, Short Chain Stay. Anyway, it may be the same bike as yours which is why I’m giving details.

I ride 28mm Vitoria tires after trying 28mm continental GP4000 tires and the Continentals were very tall even though both brands are 28mm. They barely fit. I see no way that 32mm will fit well, despite what specialized advertises. My Lynskey gravel bike I built up easily runs 36mm. Love that bike and being titanium, it’s a non issue about the issues that can arise from carbon being destroyed on impact.

I also love my Roubaix. So, before you try to run it as a gravel bike, maybe keep it for road which it does superbly. Find a steel, aluminum, or titanium bike for gravel duty.

Damn- shameless plug.... I have a 54cm aluminum Specialized a Crux with full SRAM Red if you want that for gravel. Pm me. I keep lacking time to part out the bike on eBay, so I still have it.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Roubaix as a gravel bike? [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Offical cx tyres are limited to 33mm now. Seems to be working ok for the guys racing cx.

Granted, I never really appreciated the difference between gravel requirements and cx possibilities anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

I ride more gravel than anything else these days. Some of it rocky, some single track almost MTB stuff, some deep sandy.... and I still don't know why anyone needs to go that wide unless you are bikepacking.
Maybe it's because I'm only 64kg, but 38c is more than enough width for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Roubaix as a gravel bike? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As others have mentioned, this is just a question of tire capacity. The roubaix is a great choice for gravel if it’s not too chunky. You are certainly not going to hurt the frame.

While the trend is toward wider tires, you can have a significant advantage on some courses running narrower tires when everyone else is running big. There is a local gravel race I’ve done a couple times on my trek madone running 28mm gp5000’s. It’s mostly dirt road with a few chunky gravel sections, so I roll the dice. First year, I flatted 10 miles in. Next year I won solo from 55 miles out because most of the field was on gravel bikes w wide tires. I figured I had at least a 30 watt advantage for most of the course riding an aero bike on road tires.

There is a place for wide tires, but I think people tend to bring too much tire to some of these tamer gravel events. Regular road tires actually do pretty well on smallish gravel in a straight line, it’s the deep sand where you need the extra volume.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If a bike named Roubaix can't handle gravel then it is very poorly named. :)
I happen to own a 2017 Roubaix fork (He advertised it as a straight steerer and I did not realize it was 35mm and not standard for anything) and it will fit my my 650bx47mm WTB Byway tires. There is not a lot of clearance so I definately would not ride in mud, but otherwise, the front at least can go road+.
I have an old road bike that I replaced the fork so it would take a larger tire and I run it in gravel/dirt sometimes with the Byway in front (20psi) and a 25mm GP4000 in back (60 psi) and it does pretty well except when I hit sand. The front floats through but the back obviously sinks. I would guess the back could probably handled a larger 650b wheel/tire and you would have a more than passable light gravel bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Roubaix as a gravel bike? [bluto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The problem is not the wider vs. narrower imo. The problem is that Conti has not come out with a 650bx47mm GP5000tl tire yet. If I had a set of those, I would be a happy man. I've tested a lot of gravel/fast mtb tires with a Conti 4000S2 as my control and tire width has very little to do with the speed. In fact, my 2.0 G-One Speed and my Conti Raceking 2.2 (with the center knobs ground down) both tested as fast or faster than several 38-42mm tires and were not appreciably slower than the GP4000 when all were run at an appropriate pressure over rough pavement. (60psi for the 25mm 4000) I think that companies making gravel tires are erring more to durability than speed right now. If you made the aforemention GP500tl with a little side tread I think you would sell a million of them to guys already using the 32mm version as a pseudo-gravel tire.

Are you running tubes or tubeless in the GP5000 and what pressure do you run? When I was using my 5000tl 32mm as a rear tire I found I could go at low as 45-50 psi and it was super smooth on and off-road. I have not had any issues running a tube on the rear of my weirdo bike (47mm Byway on front, 25mm GP4000 in back) even at 60 psi. If I could go tubeless with a 28mm I would definately try 50psi.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Roubaix as a gravel bike? [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wish I had tubeless, but running latex tubes w a little sealant on zipp 404s. Running 75psi rear, 65 in front @ 165 lbs. The key to survival is keeping a clear view of your line on any chunky sections, which can be almost impossible unless you get on/off the front of the pack. One big hit and it’s instant pinch flat or sliced sidewalk.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Roubaix as a gravel bike? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
Slowman wrote:

I ride more gravel than anything else these days. Some of it rocky, some single track almost MTB stuff, some deep sandy.... and I still don't know why anyone needs to go that wide unless you are bikepacking. Maybe it's because I'm only 64kg, but 38c is more than enough width for me.

folks who travel around with their gravel bikes know that gravel biking is like open water swimming: it's a very different experience swimming in a lake in minnesota versus starting and ending your swim on a beach in southern california with pumping surf. in fact, maybe that's it. it's the west coast thing. we're weird out here. everything has to be different for us.

i have taken to referring to "west coast gravel" lately. remember that 5-day gravel stage race last year? oregon trail gravel grinder? i wasn't there, but what i heard was the enterprising rider changed to 650b and fatty tires for 1 or 2 stages, and that helped the eventual winner to victory.

on the west coast we have a lot of batholithic and sedimentary soil. granite. quartz. breaks down into boulders, then river rock, then sandy soil. we roll over a lot of rock and we get bogged down in sand... unless we have wider tires to roll over it! in much of america's midwest it's more of a clay-dominant loam and you don't even need to pave it. subdivisions, housing tracts, are built and the roads are sometimes just groomed, but not paved. you don't need 53mm tires on your gravel bike for that. 35mm or even 30mm tires might be fine.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is why we created the Industry Standard Guide to Gravel in 2017 http://ouroutdooroffice.com/...ing-gravel-standard/
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Roubaix as a gravel bike? [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw that in RBA when it came out, and found it very helpful, and a solid classification. But since it's bikes, there can't be just one industry standard:

Gravel Gradient goes to 5: https://cyclingtips.com/...e-off-road-surfaces/

What I liked about this one was the adjustment factor for "corrugated" surfaces. Otherwise, it seems to agree with yours.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
Slowman wrote:

I ride more gravel than anything else these days. Some of it rocky, some single track almost MTB stuff, some deep sandy.... and I still don't know why anyone needs to go that wide unless you are bikepacking. Maybe it's because I'm only 64kg, but 38c is more than enough width for me.

folks who travel around with their gravel bikes know that gravel biking is like open water swimming: it's a very different experience swimming in a lake in minnesota versus starting and ending your swim on a beach in southern california with pumping surf. in fact, maybe that's it. it's the west coast thing. we're weird out here. everything has to be different for us.

i have taken to referring to "west coast gravel" lately. remember that 5-day gravel stage race last year? oregon trail gravel grinder? i wasn't there, but what i heard was the enterprising rider changed to 650b and fatty tires for 1 or 2 stages, and that helped the eventual winner to victory.

on the west coast we have a lot of batholithic and sedimentary soil. granite. quartz. breaks down into boulders, then river rock, then sandy soil. we roll over a lot of rock and we get bogged down in sand... unless we have wider tires to roll over it! in much of america's midwest it's more of a clay-dominant loam and you don't even need to pave it. subdivisions, housing tracts, are built and the roads are sometimes just groomed, but not paved. you don't need 53mm tires on your gravel bike for that. 35mm or even 30mm tires might be fine.

This is why I went back to a 2x system when I upgraded to AXS. Granted SRAM peaks at 10-33, with the right front rings that's more than enough. I didn't want to wait for SRAM wide...also the WIDE has some crankset issues that I think would cause headaches in the future. Seemed to be a very limited ecosystem.

As for a Roubaix, I would say no. I love the Roubaix bike and I rode an Orbea AVANT that peaked at 34. Last fall I purchased the Diverge with 40 and that was a HUGE improvement.

Quote | Reply
OtterJohn wrote:
Slowman wrote:

Is what I did. I have a 2013 Roubaix w/105 group. The widest tire I could get on it was a 28, which wasn't enough for real gravel. So I convinced myself I needed an Allied Alroad, which runs 35's with ease and can maybe do a 38. Still not hard-core gravel, but good enough for dirt and bad roads. I like the Allied so much that the Roubaix lives on the trainer now.

Yes, though, a Roubiax frame can handle almost anything you throw at it. It may exist, but I haven't seen gravel that's tougher on a frame than the cobblestones the Roubaix was designed for.

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, good luck with that. I've got an old Roubaix (maybe a 2005) and I can't imagine putting anything but road tires on it. Would be an interesting ride on gravel. I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

That race had slightly more difficult than typical OR gravel and/or contained a shitload of very loose and relatively deep sand (like 30-40 miles total for the whole race). At least in OR, stuff that would pass for single track in many places is common in both gravel and CX racing.

And as far as how the race was won (the winning time gap actually happened on stage one, Barry Wicks and Carl Decker got like a 10 minute gap) was Carl Decker was running 50mm tires. He told me he had to hand trim the side knobs so he could get adequate frame clearance. But that stage included about 5-6 miles of true sand (not kidding, imagine about the worst sand pit you have seen in CX, but it lasts for 5 miles) and then about 2 miles of rocky, steep single track and those tires made the difference. At least the good part was that in a 300 mile race, the first 30 miles were the hardest.

But to your original point, I was glad to have 650Bs for that race and because the wider tires aren't really slower on easier stuff, but can make you stupidly faster in some knarl, they are totally the way to go. As more people figure this out, as you say, we are going to see frames set up to run 50mm as a normal setup and anyone getting a bike now should get ahead of that and make sure they can fit tires at least up to the high 40s.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Roubaix as a gravel bike? [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri_yoda wrote:
Slowman wrote:

That race had slightly more difficult than typical OR gravel and/or contained a shitload of very loose and relatively deep sand (like 30-40 miles total for the whole race). At least in OR, stuff that would pass for single track in many places is common in both gravel and CX racing.

And as far as how the race was won (the winning time gap actually happened on stage one, Barry Wicks and Carl Decker got like a 10 minute gap) was Carl Decker was running 50mm tires. He told me he had to hand trim the side knobs so he could get adequate frame clearance. But that stage included about 5-6 miles of true sand (not kidding, imagine about the worst sand pit you have seen in CX, but it lasts for 5 miles) and then about 2 miles of rocky, steep single track and those tires made the difference. At least the good part was that in a 300 mile race, the first 30 miles were the hardest.

But to your original point, I was glad to have 650Bs for that race and because the wider tires aren't really slower on easier stuff, but can make you stupidly faster in some knarl, they are totally the way to go. As more people figure this out, as you say, we are going to see frames set up to run 50mm as a normal setup and anyone getting a bike now should get ahead of that and make sure they can fit tires at least up to the high 40s.

you'll see on the thread on the new exploro. this, and the open wide, these are the templates, imho, for the future. not everywhere, but certainly in the variable gravel we get on the west coast. i did 2 rides over memorial day weekend in the sierras, with paul thomas, total about 80 miles and 12,000 feet of climbing, and on the second day a bunch of pitches between 16 and 20 percent and it's hard to get up those without the wider tires. and then descending from 6,500 to 2,500 feet over 10 miles, offroad, sandy turns, the time you lose is legion if you don't have the wide tires.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply

Prev Next