Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Specialized "Contact Us"
Quote | Reply
Tried to call them many many times during business hours, and left messages on their general voice mail, in the last a few days. No one answers and no one calls me back.

Incidentally, the customer service line is called "Rider Care". It doesn't sound like they care.

I want to answer a couple of questions to a live person, and don't want to email them. So what does it take to talk to a live person at Specialized?
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized "Contact Us" [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Typically they are quick to respond to email but I get that's not the path you want. In general the goal is to point you to a Specialized dealer, that's just their model and they try to stick to it. If I had to make a guess (and I could be wrong) but maybe the office in Morgan Hill is a little short staffed with people over in France for the next few weeks, just a guess. I don't think they have a huge support org fielding these calls.

Quote | Reply
You may be right about the impact of TdF on their support staff. As for the local LBS, I called around and no one can answer my questions. In fact, it's really simply, I have an S-Works Tarmac but would love to use their mini aero bars for draft-legal races, but for the life of me, I can't figure out a) if they are compatible (I guess not), and b) what stem I would need to make them compatible (probably the '19 Venge stem won't fit the Tarmac), and c) what's the dimension/specification of the '19 stem so I can see if I may be able to get another brand or custom make one so the '19 Venge mini aero bars will fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree that your local shop likely can't answer that one :-O. I can't help much either except to say that for the Venge VAIS the clip on aero bar (both UCI and the longer one) only attached to the VAIS stem (maybe you could hack something up with a different stem, but doubtful it would be stable.) The new Venge bar looks like it attaches the same way. You'd know best if the Tarmac stem is at all close to the same shape as the Venge stem (doubtful). It just clamps around it (with some rubber shims to keep everything tight) but since the Venge stem is a unique shape it means the clamp is as well.

The Venge stem would likely fit your Tarmac but the spacers/dustcap might not match up or look all that great. The Venge stem mounts on a steerer like any other stem (you might not be able to use the cable routing, etc.) but the interfaces to the frame are unique. So it could work...but the result might not be super pretty.

Quote | Reply
Your LBS may not be able to answer the question themselves, but I would wager their Specialzied Sales rep could. Talk to them again and see if they can pass the question on to their rep. He/she may be the best and most accessible person for you at the moment.

Robert Dao
ATC Racing - Austin, TX
Gold's Gym Triathlon Coach
@speedao1
@daotraining
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those are Venge ViAS bars. So yes they are custom made for the Venge and not your Tarmac....

It is clearly noted on their page for them: "Note: Only compatible with Venge ViAS cockpit"

Not sure how you would expect their corporate HQ to walk you through making a custom setup. That is way outside any reasonable expectation. Why wouldn't you just buy other ITU style bars that would work with your setup?
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized "Contact Us" [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 2019 Venge aero bars are different from the Vias version. They simply attached to a squarish Specialized Venge stem. But that stem won’t fit well with the Tarmac. On the other hand I have other stems have squarish profiles, e.g. Cervelo or ENVE aero stems, that may work with some shims if they are close enough, hence my very specific question about what the '19 Venge stem dimensions are. The LBS I called around here didn't have a '19 Venge on hand to measure for me. Maybe someone here could, I just need the section measurement of that stem.

As for other clip on bars, their is only one other stem mount choice made by Control Tech called Sirocco but good luck finding it anywhere in the world. I sent them multiple emails with no response. They don’t even have a US distributor.
Last edited by: dalava: Jul 11, 19 16:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like there is a new (or first?) versie of the Controltech Clip-on released/announced in March. Could be the reason why it's not readily available?

Wouldn't it be easier (or at least, an option) to have something custum made to fit? Might be expensive...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a new Venge. What measurement of the stem would you like?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless you race elite, clip on aerobars aren't allowed in draft legal racing. Just want to make sure you know before you go to all this trouble
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
39.25mm wide x 36.25mm tall. Although that height measurement may be a bit off as I can't get my calipers to the middle of the bottom of the stem with the cables in the way and all.
Quote Reply