Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Speaking of putting on a race
Quote | Reply
First, a question: How many of you regularly (say, once a year; more than once in your life) VOLUNTEER at a local tri?

We are well into the Alcatraz prep. In case one wonders what it takes to put on a big race (over 1,000 athletes for this one), here is a list of jobs and approximate number of volunteers needed for the larger groups. Smaller races, without the pro and TV presence would not have all the same needs (but close) and one person could handle multiple jobs. If anyone would like to volunteer, give me a shout.

Total volunteers needed: 600

Race Director and four assistant RDs (each with a separate area to oversee)

Administrative (race questions/applications/etc. prior to race)

Aid station (9 separate aid stations at EFA) (99 volunteers)

Bike: responsible for entire bike course--layout, cones, monitoring, volunteers, etc. (90 volunteers)

Communications (on-site)

Event Merchandise/Expo

Finish line food

Medical (10 volunteers)--includes two ambulances on the course

Officials/Marshalls (includes motorcycles and drivers)

Pros and Sponsor Liason

PR

Registration (25 volunteers)

Run: see bike, same stuff (50 volunteers)

Security (including police/other law enforcement)

Transition area (40 volunteers)

Start/finish (40 volunteers): includes body marking, getting athletes on boat, swim finish (and transport of bags from boat to TA and from drop to swim finish and then back to TA)

Supplies

Swim: includes boats, kayaks

Timing (20 volunteers)

Volunteer: Coordinate, place and train volunteers (note--quite a few volunteers are seeing a tri for the first time)

Parking

====================

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Speaking of putting on a race [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I volunteer (and pay for the production costs of) at least six races per year, in addition to paying my employees to volunteer. I can tell everyone first hand- having done over 200 triathlons myself- helping produce a race is a lot of fun and very rewarding. It is a very complimentary experience to participating: Lke hosting a massiver party with 800 of your best friends. I recommend it!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I volunteer at 3 events, officiate at 7-10, and race 3-5 times

[I reffed at alcatraz last year and yes Cathy I'll be back this year]

I really need to get a life

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"on your Left"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Cathy...count me in...all it will cost you is the airfare :)..I act as race director for probably 20-25 races per year. These are small scale local club races - not even close to the level of Alcatraz. On the weekend i was race director for the Lest We Forget run here in Rockhampton (Australia)...this concept is modelled on the Komrades marathon in South Africa (86km) and there were about 60 or so of these races throughout SAustralia to raise money for our war veterans...very rewarding experience....the best about going to the big races in this part of the world is that i don't have to be race director :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We volunteered at both Alcatraz and Treasure Island last year, as well as a few sprint tris at our gym. At Alcatraz the whole family including our kids worked a turn on the bike course in GG and at TI, my husband drove a motorcycle and I worked in the med tent. Our plan is to do more of same for this year, and I'm pretty sure we already contacted the person we worked with last year, but I better check!
Quote Reply