Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: South rim down and back up in 1 day...how tough? [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amazing run/hike, I did It a few years ago in late September and it was perfect- 30’s at the top, 80 or so at the river. I ran down Bright Angel, to the river, stuck my hand in the water, then ran back up Bright Angel (power hiked the last three miles with brief runs, steep!). Wore trail shoes, running tank/shorts, arm warmers and gloves that I took off as it got warmer, and a camelback that I refilled at Indian Gardens on the way back up. I started at dawn, didn’t see anyone on the trail almost all the way down, ran into some mule trains on the way back up and then a fair number of tourists the last couple miles to the top. 16.4 miles took 4 hours total, about 3:36 moving (stopped for views, water, photos). Took 1:20-ish to run down, 2:15 to get back out.

Here’s my Garmin track https://connect.garmin.com/.../activity/2008190908

Probably the most gorgeous run I’ve ever done. If you are in marathon shape you can do it, effort felt about like running a normal marathon, with a wall those last couple steep miles. But if you have time to walk as you feel and stop for photos, enjoyable. I was in a time crunch (had to be back before noon) because I snuck out from the tour group we were with :)
Last edited by: gmatom: Dec 28, 20 19:32
Quote Reply
Re: South rim down and back up in 1 day...how tough? [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
mdiet22 wrote:
***Update***

Did this 18 mile hike in 8.5 at a very easy pace and it was quite doable for most of the triathletes on this website. This was surprising easier than I had imagined due to being done in December. In the summer this would be brutal. Case in point, we started at 7:00 at 32 degrees and 25 mph gusts, when we got to Indian Gardens it was 90 degrees...One 3 liter Camelbak lasted the whole trip. Oh we did split a lemonade at Phantom Ranch.

Fantastic. Would you give more details? Which route down and which one back up? What did you wear? What gear did you take?
I hope to do this in 2021.
Thanks, John

I did this in September of 2020. I went down the Bright Angel trail on the South Rim side, touched my toes in the Colorado River, turned around, and headed back the way that I came. Going down was fast and fun. Going back ... not so much :) It was about a 16 mile round trip run. I power hiked back the last 4+ miles because power hiking was faster than any run pace I could muster.

I took the Bright Angel Trail because from what I read, it was the more runable trail when compared to the Kaibab trail, on the South Rim side. I had pretty good weather that day. I didn't notice that much of a temperature change that day from the top to the bottom of the canyon. I ran shirtless down the canyon.

There were a 2 spots going down with water faucets that you can use. One spot was just a faucet. The other was at a campsite that you run through. There were 2 bathroom stations along the way that were pretty clean. One was at the bottom near the river and the other was at the campsite.

I had a Solomon Active Skin 8 running vest on. I carried 4 gels, 3 honey stingers, and two soft flask hydration bottles (12/oz per flask) with Gatorade.

One thing I did notice was how respectable people were toward each other. When they saw me running down the trail or hikers coming by, they would move to the the side and let me through. I don't think I ever said, "on your left," at any point during the run. Depending on the time of day that you are out there, expect to see either mules carrying supplies or mules/horses carrying tourists.

Prev Next