Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Songs that fire you up, get you out the door, and/or keep you moving
Quote | Reply
I'm getting pretty tired of my usual mix of songs to lift my spirits and move me out the door, and yes, admittedly, sometimes to listen to while running (please no lectures on the dangers of running with music, sometimes I just have to, and no, I NEVER race with headphones).

What's pumping out of your IPod/car stereo/Walkman these days?

"At every endurance event, there comes a time when you'll say, 'What the f*ck am I doing here?' And you'll say, 'This is what I do.' "
- John Spas, as quoted in Bill McKibben's _Long Distance: A Year of Living Strenuously_
Quote Reply
Re: Songs that fire you up, get you out the door, and/or keep you moving [Striver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rage Against the Machine, Prodigy, Underworld, Carl Cox, Photek, Cypress Hill, Chemical Brothers
Quote Reply
Re: Songs that fire you up, get you out the door, and/or keep you moving [BNasty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i second rage against the machine and would add godsmack, some of live's early stuff, BT, Paul Okenfold, linkin park, system of a down...i'll think of some more later.
Quote Reply
Re: Songs that fire you up, get you out the door, and/or keep you moving [BNasty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I should also add:

Disturbed, Crystal Method, Pearl Jam, Kid Rock, Dust Brothers, Public Enemy, Guns 'n Roses, Def Leppard, Pearl Jam, ATB, and on and on and on...
Quote Reply
Re: Songs that fire you up, get you out the door, and/or keep you moving [Striver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you looking for songs or albums? Almost anything on Pearl Jam "Ten" and "vs". The White Stripes "Elephant". Metallica "Master of Puppets" and "Ride the Lightning".

-C

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Freedom" - Rage Against the Machine

"46&2" - TOOL

-------
Andrew

"When will i learn, people do not want to hurt but will spend $500.00 bucks to go four seconds faster." - randall t
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Matrix movie sound track
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Possum Kingdom" - Toadies

"Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)" - Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Working Man" - Rush

"Sure Shot" - Beastie Boys

"Whipping Post" - Allman Brothers Band (go with the 23 min. live version)

"Turn You Inside Out" - REM

"Grace, Too" - Tragically Hip

"Faith I Do Believe" - Rusted Root
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmm...you all have very similar musical taste...at least in the well-known bands department, and especially as far as Oakenfold, White Stripes, and the Matrix soundtrack...

Someone asked if I was looking for songs or albums - the answer is either, really. Just looking for some new stuff I haven't heard before.

Here's my current 1 hour-ish mix on my old MP3 player (let the fun-making begin!)
  1. Bad Reputation - Freedy Johnston (for warming up)
  2. Hurt so Good - John Cougar Mellencamp (starting to hate this song)
  3. Let's Get It Started - Black Eyed Peas
  4. Just a Girl - No Doubt
  5. Elevation - U2
  6. Supernova - Liz Phair
  7. Halycon and On and On - Orbital
  8. Track 3 from Disc 2 of "Another World" (Paul Oakenfold)
  9. Ready Steady Go - Paul Oakenfold
  10. Lose Yourself - Eminem
  11. Closer to Fine - Indigo Girls (thought I'd try it for exercise)
  12. Clubbed to Death Remix (from the Matrix Soundtrack)
  13. Dirty Water - The Standells (a Red Sox fan special)

"At every endurance event, there comes a time when you'll say, 'What the f*ck am I doing here?' And you'll say, 'This is what I do.' "
- John Spas, as quoted in Bill McKibben's _Long Distance: A Year of Living Strenuously_
Quote Reply
Re: Songs that fire you up, get you out the door, and/or keep you moving [mthammer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sitting here listening to 'Sure-shot' in the hope of it getting me out the door. I'll know in 3:19 if it works.

"Language most shows a man: Speak, that I may see thee. It springs out of the most retired and inmost parts of us, and is the image of the parents of it, the mind. No glass so mirrors a man's form or likeness so true as his speech." - Ben Jonson, Timber, or Discoveries made upon Men and Matter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Beastie Boys have also appeared on many of my past mixes...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
let me add

Ultraviolence-hardcore techno

and

Motorhead
Quote Reply
Re: Songs that fire you up, get you out the door, and/or keep you moving [GBJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's overplayed, but Outkast's "Hey Ya" will get me out the door because I can't help but shake it when Andre 3000 asks me to...

Quote Reply
Re: Songs that fire you up, get you out the door, and/or keep you moving [GBJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Make sure you turn it up to 11 !!

"...you can't, you won't, and you don't stop!..."
Quote Reply
Re: Songs that fire you up, get you out the door, and/or keep you moving [mthammer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Despite having to keep my underwear up with a piece of elastic - i'm gone.

Job done.

"Language most shows a man: Speak, that I may see thee. It springs out of the most retired and inmost parts of us, and is the image of the parents of it, the mind. No glass so mirrors a man's form or likeness so true as his speech." - Ben Jonson, Timber, or Discoveries made upon Men and Matter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a good espresso machine for christmas and I swore nothing was its equal until I cracked open "Misirlu - Dick Dale and his Deltones". The world's first surfing music. If you don't know it, it's the first track on the Pulp Fiction soundtrack.

It's dangerous stuff though. Got back from a 2 hour run Tuesday night and left the music on while I was mixing a giant smoothie. Had me bopping around the kitchen for 15 mins, on swollen ankles. (Hey that reminds me, that's loggable training ! )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some people have listed some great music -- I used to listen (and will again soon) -- but lately I have gone heavy metal retro.

Motley Crew, Deep Purple, Scorpions, Def Leppard

It pumps me up and gets me out the door.

I listen before I run or ride - never during - I use my hearing to locate cars - traffic is pretty bad in my area.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eminem I'm a soldier does it the best for me. I don't listen to a ton of rap but I find the general "I'm invinsible" theme that runs through most rap pretty motivating.

------------------------------------------------------------

"He broke into the long easy lope, and went on, hour after hour, never at loss for the tangled way, heading straight home through strange country with a certitude of direction that put man and his magnetic needle to shame."

-Call of the Wild
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i dont know what your political inclinations are, dont really know what mine are either, but this is what works for me in the mornings. turn on conservative talk radio :) some of the inconsiderate, disrespectful and insensitive things these people say will really piss me off, fire me up, and get me ready to run. (please keep in mind 1) i'm not trying to start a political thread 2) i agree with many of the things these people say). there, i've said it, now i can start the healing process from being in the closet about being a 20 y.o. college kid listening to talk radio. i feel like my dad...
Quote Reply
Re: Songs that fire you up, get you out the door, and/or keep you moving [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice taste in music! I'd add System of a Down, Slipknot, & Megadeth's "Countdown to Extinction".

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply
Re: Songs that fire you up, get you out the door, and/or keep you moving [BLACKSHEEP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"Miserlou - Dick Dale and his Del-Tones". The world's first surfing music. If you don't know it, it's the first track on the Pulp Fiction soundtrack.

Although not his first ("Miserlou" was released in '63; Dale had a hit in '61 with "Let's Go Trippin'") but definitely the fastest - legend has it that picks used to actually melt between his fingers.

Check out a young Dick Dale in "Beach Party" and "Muscle Beach Party"

What we now recognize as Surf music was born from the likes of Link Wray ("Rumble"), Duane Eddy ("Rebel Rouser," "Peter Gunn") and Paul Johnson ("Mr. Moto," with the Bel-Airs) as well as the Ventures, Shadows from UK, and Surfaris.

In Europe, Surf Music is also called "Space Music" or "Spy Music" (listen to "Mission: Impossible" by Laika and the Cosmonauts). In japan is just all f'ed up ... I assume you've seen the 5,6,7,8's in "Kill Bill?"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anything Green Day, especially from the new CD. I've also been turned on to the Chemical Brothers. Sugarcult is also getting a lot of play.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Songs that fire you up, get you out the door, and/or keep you moving [Sparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scientists may prove it is impossible to not run out the door when "Kickstart My Heart" by Crue starts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No one listens to gangsta rap here?

...Anyway hardcore rap gets me totally fired up...

Biggie Smalls, Bone Thugs n Harmony, Snoop Dogg, Tupac, Nas, Pastor Troy, Lil' John

and depending on the mood ...some lighter stuff more underground...Jurrassic 5, Souls of Mischief, Hieroglyphics, Planet Asia, old Public Enemy, Del...

Mind you I also listen to a lot of funk- that can really get you going- like some old school James Brown, Maceo Parker, Sly and the Family Stone, Meters,

or other - like Moby, U2, Modest Mouse, Robbie Robertson, Robert Bradley's Blackwater Surprise (the shit), Johnny Cash,...

Anyway I wish I had an Ipod...

Spindogg

http://www.mountainmettle.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My all time, pump-me-up song is "Sunday Bloody Sunday", the live version from Under the Red October Sky. You know, the one that starts with..."There's been a lot of talk about this next song, maybe too much talk, this is not a rebel song, this is SUNDAY BLOODY SUNDAY!"

Dave From VA
Quote Reply

Prev Next