Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Some bike advice needed
Quote | Reply
I'm a middle of the road AG athlete about to turn 40. Let's get that out there right now so there's no illusions. In smaller triathlons up to olympic-distance races I am an outside threat to podium if I've been paying attention to my training and diet, but you're probably not going to see me qualify for Kona any time soon either. I'm a mediocre swimmer, better than average cyclist, and decent runner when I don't blow myself up on the bike (see, e.g., IMTX in 2013 and 2014). I'm the guy who averages 21mph and has a great time on the bike, then runs a 5 hour marathon right after. My coach and I are working on it, I promise.

When I did my first IM, I got an entry level Cervelo P2. I haven't changed so much as a bolt beyond routine maintenance since the day I bought it (I do rent a disc and a ZIPP 808 front for big races), and it's been a decent bike for me. Specs here: (http://www.bikeroar.com/...2-ultegra-2013/specs). I'm starting to get more and more into racing - I want to do at least one Iron-distance race a year, if not two - simply because the racing and training help me get mental clarity. And that has me thinking about a bike upgrade.

My wife has signed off on my proposal to get a new bike, likely before IMFL this year. I don't really have a budget either, but every dollar I don't spend goes to something else. I COULD spend 15k on a new Cervelo P5x, but the law of diminishing returns tells me the last $7000 or so will get me about 2 seconds of time. $3500/second seems less than optimal. I could get a Speed Concept 9.9, or the sports-car-cum-Diamondback Andean, or a QR PRsix, or any number of others, but will I really be any better off than a new P3? Or just sticking on a ZIPP Stealth headset on my previous gen P2 and making sure my fit is optimal?

I'm not asking about any specific bike; I'm going to see a reputable fitter before I spend so much as a penny. I'm just looking for some thoughts from others on the value of that extra $7000. Or $2500. Or $25. What makes sense?
Quote Reply
Re: Some bike advice needed [frumptyfrontbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Premier Tactical is an incredible value for a total performance package. It is probably the highest price-to-performance on the market by a longshot. There may be faster bikes in the Cervelos, Trek SC, Felt IS, and a couple others. But their respective performance gains do not justify the incremental spend. In other words, once you get into the very fast bike territory, the performance differences are significantly disproportional to the prices.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could definitely do some changes aerowise (tririg omegas), maybe a better fitting and buy a nice wheel set , if you like electronic shifting......you can def use some bucks.
but as you are thinking how much makes a new super bike you faster for some serious dough.
If you are a minute behind kq probably worth thinking but then that's another thing you need the cash for :-)

-shoki
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clean up the P2 with brakes, aero bars, hydration set up, and optimize the wheels with the right tires/tubes.

Everything beyond is significantly diminishing returns.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply