Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Soma Triathlon 2004 Rocked
Quote | Reply
The debut Soma Triathlon 2004 in Tempe, AZ absolutely lived up to being one of the best year-end triathlons to do. It was one of the most well organized tris I've done. Red Rock Company which is a sport events mgt co in AZ was the race organizer.

It was a treat to have Paula Newby-Fraser host and MC the event. Unfortunately, I was not able to attend the dinner "Night of Champions" where you could mingle and listen to Faser, Huddle, Roch Frey, Chris Legh, and Heather Fuhr.

The event was Half Ironman and Quarter (Olympic) distances. Half Iron triathletes did 2 loops for each event the swim, bike, and run.

I want to make a point, that the officiating on the swim was the FAIREST and one of the best executed. I can't tell you how many other tris I've been to where there are always so many people who blatantly cut the swim course or "miss a buoy" on purpose to post a better swim time, and they get away with because they were not given penalties or DQed. The Soma tri had people in the kayaks officiating the swim pulled anyone who cut the course to go back and go around the buoy. Kudos to the race management.

Swim: The swim was in Tempe Town Lake which is a man made smaller lake. Very calm waters and the water was clean because I believe it is used as drinking water. Water was 65 degrees -sounded cold but it was not once you got moving. There was a last minute change for the swim course. Instead of being an out and back course for the Half Iron, they changed it to a triangular course with the Quarter doing 1 loop and the Half doing 2 loops. I thought this might present some logistical difficulties because the Quarter triathlete waves would be going off just as the Half iron age groupers were starting the 2nd loop and the Half Iron pros would be catching up with the Half Iron age groupers. It was congested but not as bad as I had thought it would be. As I had predicted I was starting my 2nd loop just as the Quarter triathletes started their wave on the swim and that was the worst congestion. Other than that, the swim went smoothly.

Bike: I'm not from AZ so I can't tell you the specifics and location of the bike route. The bike course was flat and fast with some slight head winds. Roads were closed to traffic. Very safe with police there to ensure no cars were pulled onto the course. This is where everyone could see Chris Legh far ahead by at least 7 minutes ahead of the 2nd place pro on the bike. Very scenic with mountains in the backdrop. Can't remember but I believe there were 2 aid stations with water, Cytomax, bananas, etc.

Run: Run was 2 loops around the Tempe Park Beach. Relatively flat with some slight inclines and it went over 2 bridges.

Volunteers: Good aid stations serving Cytomax, water, GU, and ice. Spiritied and encouraging volunteers.

Great Soma triathlon overall and well-organized. I would highly recommend it to anyone. Thanks to Paul Newby-Fraser for MCing - her directions were clear and she was enthusiastic. She announced everyone's name and where they were from as the triathletes crossed the finish line.
Quote Reply
Re: Soma Triathlon 2004 Rocked [trime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I enjoyed it thoroughly, my only complaint was the green bananas.....

SP

don't just do something..... sit there
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This race was the best managed, thought out race that I have ever done. The only suggestion I would make to the RD's is that they put up some type of tent in the park area after words to let races get out of the sun for a while.

The bike starts from transition onto Rio Salido that goes down a short hill then makes a quick left 90 degree turn then up to Priest to do a turn around back tracking the way you just came up that little incline east. Most of the rest of the course continues north and east on a zig zag track through town into the desert to Gilberts road where the turn is. The east bound leg is a slight incline almost all the way to the turn when you get the same incline to your benefit to ride the slight decline to the turn on the Mill St. bridge to start the next loop. This course is fast to say the least. The earlier course profiles that were posted implied some bigger climbs, there are none, just the 'false' flat that you ride when going east and get the benefit going west.

The run course has some dirt trails you run on where the footing could be a little tricky but it wasn't bad at all. It also had a few up hills that were 'false' flats or just up the paved side of a bridge to get to the road, this was on the Rural road bridge and the Priest road dam. Other than that, flat, flat and more flat.

The entire bike & run course offers no shade, NONE. If its hot in April for IM AZ, people will suffer.

On the down side I did notice a 'peloton' of drafters on the bike on beeline (aka county line hwy) I was passed by a group of about 10 riders together seemed like there were more then a few of the same local club jerseys in the group.

All in all a great race, thanks to everyone who helped organize or volunteered on Sunday to make my first half a great experience!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Soma Triathlon 2004 Rocked [ECE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I concur with all the posts. I was very impressed by the organization of the race. And yes it is possible to get temps in the high 90's for IMAZ. But its a dry heat :-)

In regards to the profiles that have been posted on this forum, you might have been looking at the full IM course profile. As the B-Line proceeds towards Fountain Hills we will see the elevation changes. The SOMA course only took us to mile 14 of the full course profile.
Quote Reply
Re: Soma Triathlon 2004 Rocked [ECE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Ever done IMC? I think there might be 100ft of the run course that has shade. Other than that.. no shade either. It gets in the high 90's in Okanagan in August as well. We don't do IM cuz it's easy, do we? ;-)

Drink lots, wear sunscreen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I knew that I was in trouble when I was passed on the run by the "Grim Reaper". I would imagine that would be considered 7 miles of bad luck!?! It was funny to see that guy riding on the bike course with that costume on and the black stocking over his head the whole race (minus the swim).
However I believe that the water is "reclaimed" and I wouldn't drink it myself... at least on purpose.
Quote Reply
Re: Soma Triathlon 2004 Rocked [Drock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
According to the ciity of Tempe the water is not reclaimed. The initial water for the lake came from the Central Arizona Project (CAP), which is Colorado River water. New water comes from 10 wells around the lake and the CAP.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I passed that guy on the bike. I couldn't believe he had that mask over his face. Said something like "Your messin' with Death passing me" or something like that. I got a great kick out of it.

I also got passed by Dave of Zoot wearing a cheerleaders outfit...

Definitely a fun race, but I'm hurtin' big time today. Hit the wall at mile 10 on the run. My calves and quads are killing me!

Mike

TheBikeRacer.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This was my first Half IM and I too thought it absolutely rocked. Would definitely recommend it. This is a great course and a very well organized event. The swim was calm, the ride smooth and fast and the run -- while uninspired -- was well done. My only complaints were the two cars I saw on the bike course. I had to actually stop to avoid a potential collision with one driver leaving a cigarette shop. Definitely not safe. Still, I can't wait to get out there again next year!
Quote Reply
Re: Soma Triathlon 2004 Rocked [mwbyrd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was Dave Benjes of DCB, which puts on several races in the area. No wonder I never saw him on the bike course...should have looked at the bike!

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: Soma Triathlon 2004 Rocked [a.i.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...well thats good to know since I have swallowed my share of Tempe Town Lake water in the past few Tri's. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike, That sounds like my race report... hit the wall at mile 10... calves and quads are killing me!

I guess that will be my question for the "pro's" is if they feel like this after a race. Then what to they do for the 4 days after to recover.

Derek
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw the guy in the grim reaper suit too. He did well for someone who did the entire bike and run in that getup. There was also a guy who did the entire run in big clown shoes. He actually won an award in the clydesdale category.

This is the second year in a row I've done this race. I went mostly to spectate my best friend, but decided to go ahead and race for the hell of it. This year I did the quarter as I hadn't been in the water(with the exception of the shower) since IMWI and only biked 40 miles in the 4 weeks leading up to it, all of them the day before the race :)

I highly recommend this race. Free dinner and beer afterwards, lots of raffle giveaways, very well organized, great awards(I won a bottle of wine with my place and age group listed), a bike course on very nice pavement, and a run around a lake. Also, Soma does a terrific job as title sponsor. Finishing 6th overall in the quarter was a bit of a surprise and just put icing on top of a good weekend(ok, so there were only 210 people in my race). Also, got a chance to meet one of our female slowtwitchers, Gail(gleveq).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am really glad that you all enjoyed the race here in tempe. We loved having you all here. Thanks! I will say though that there is no chance in hell that anyone in the phoenix, tempe area drinks that water willingly. In fact, most of the citizens in the area believe that it is some of the dirties water around. Don't you think that it's a liittle intersting that it is illegal to swim in the lake unless otherwise permitted. Anyways, I am glad you all loved the race... and congrats!

dave j
asu sun devils

david
asc-arizona state cycling
tribemultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: Soma Triathlon 2004 Rocked [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That guy is the clown shoes was the very talented Gerald Kirkpatrick...........before he "graduated" to clyde status, he was a top age grouper on the brink of going pro. He's gonna be pretty fast no matter what he wieghs or what shoes he wears! ;-)

From a volunteer perspective, this race was very well done. They treated the athletes and the volunteers very well. I will definitely be looking to race this sucker next year!

It was great to meet you and visit a bit..........wish that I could get your results on that "brutal" training regime you described! :-) Nice work!

G

It's a little like wrestling a gorilla.........you don't stop when you're tired.........you stop when the gorilla is tired.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Derek,

Yesterday was the worst. It's pretty amazing how much better I feel today. I'm getting a massage tomorrow night and hopefully the I'll be able to withstand the pain!

I'm trying to determine if it was lack of fitness (ie not enough long runs) or nutrition. I'm pretty sure it was fitness because I felt great after the race. I finished smiliing even though the last two miles were brutal for me.

Mike

TheBikeRacer.com
Quote Reply
Re: Soma Triathlon 2004 Rocked [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dang Jaylew, didn't know you were going to be there!

When's the next Baldy ride - or better yet, have the TT's started up Glen Dora Mtn. Road? Not that I'm in a hurry to get back on my bike. I'm in the offseason right now!

Mike

TheBikeRacer.com
Quote Reply
Re: Soma Triathlon 2004 Rocked [gleveq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gail,

Were you hanging out with Gerald (The "ManPad") and Jennifer (the biker chick) at Dos Gringos and Martini Ranch after the race?

TheBikeRacer.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not me........I was scarfing sushi @ Kona Grill.

Gonna be moving to the Valley in the next two weeks to start school and do a bit of coaching.........are you a local? Will be looking for folks to train with.......

G

It's a little like wrestling a gorilla.........you don't stop when you're tired.........you stop when the gorilla is tired.
Quote Reply
Re: Soma Triathlon 2004 Rocked [gleveq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope. I'm down in San Diego. Going to school and coaching. Sounds awesome...what the heck am I doing in a cubicle (besides not working...)

TheBikeRacer.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those guys looked great. Here's some pics:

Tucker

Shop at: TriSports.com

"Stick to the facts man, they are good enough, no need to go making stuff up." - STP
Quote Reply
Re: Soma Triathlon 2004 Rocked [mtuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the photos. The "Grim Reaper" was hilarious and in the spirit of Halloween. I wanted to see that guy unmasked. Couldn't help but to laugh every time I saw him pass on the bike.
Quote Reply