Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Soloist Tri Experiences?
Quote | Reply
I am one of those guys who can only have one bike. I was going to buy a Cervelo Dual until a new Soloist became available to me (for a very good price). Since I live in a hilly areas (not mountainous) yet only want to bike for triathlon training the Solist as advertised and reviewed seems to be a very good choice. However, the people I know who ride Soloists do not use them in the tri setup.

Is there anybody out there that uses the Soloist as a tri bike? In this configuration, is it as good as advertised?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Soloist Tri Experiences? [cowtippers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in the same situation as you. Until I finish grad school I can only afford 1 new bike and I'd like a bike for both road racing and triathlons. The Soloist seems like it could be that bike (especially with the new paint job...very nice IMO). I don't know anyone that rides one but I've seen Simon Lessing use one for triathlons (at Alcatraz and Hawaii if I'm not mistaken).

DC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have two friends who use Soloists for tri and group riding. In fact one of them sold his P2K and his road bike to get a Soloist because he wanted to simplify things. He's just as fast on the Soloist as he was on the P2K.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a soloist and use it for tri during the summer and road for the off-season. It's great. I've never had a "real" tri bike, so I can't compare, but the 76 degree seat angle with the seatpost flipped is the same as many high priced tri only bikes.

It's definitely different with the seatpost flipped. Shorter reach, different weight distribution. I can ride no handed in road position, but not tri. My lower back has less problems in the tri sert up too. Maybe it's because I've done my base mileage in the road set up and am sore, and have gotten used to riding by the time I flip the post. Definitely a difference though.

KMS

---------------------------------
Kyle
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The soloist rocks as a tri bike. I had a tri bike before, and I'm much more comfortable on the soloist. The compact geometry is a much better fit for me than a steep geometry tri bike. If anything, I am faster on the soloist because I'm set up in a more comfortable/powerful positiion.

Also, it doesn't seem to slow down Simon Lessing at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i had a P3 last year and got a soloist this year instead....the shorter top tube and front end fit me much better and it's a perfect tri set-up for me with my carbon-x's off the front end.

i think it's one of the most underrated tri-bikes out there....especially in the smaller sizes, it's a great value and fits great.
Quote Reply
Re: Soloist Tri Experiences? [reblAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll second reblAK: the Soloist is great as a tri bike. I don't even flip the seat post around; I just keep my saddle where it is, and use a shorty aero bar and pads. It's very comfortable, and the weight distribution is fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually asked Tom D. a similiar question via PM. I hope he doesn't mind, this is the response he gave me:

"The Cervelo Soloist family of bikes does have a seatpost and attendant frame geometry than enables the rider to reverse the seatpost head. I've done it- it works pretty darn good. the key factor with the Soloist as opposed to other bikes is that the shorter chainstays, curved seat tube which partially wraps around the rear wheel, and the longer front center geometry enable you to "induce" a steep seat angle (like about 78 degrees max) without putting too much weight on the front wheel and consequently messing up the bike's handling by making it too responsive. When that happens reaching for a water bottle can be an unnerving experience." - Tom D, owner of Bikesport Michigan

-Shawn, ASICS America

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Quote Reply
Re: Soloist Tri Experiences? [ShawnF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mr. Demerly's comprehensive review on his website is what got me interested in the soloist in the first place. He should probably receive some commission on the sale. I also read in a recent edition of triathlete, that the compact geometry tends to work well for larger athlete's...which I'd consider myself at 6'1" 195. Has anyone else heard of this tendency??

I'd check out tom's review if I were cowtippers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At the end of the day, it's just a road bike that lets you move the seat a little farther forward via their seatpost head. You can buy a zero-setback/offset and get fairly close to the same effect (though not quite since the reversed head gives a little more room).

I like(d) mine. A lot. Turned out I couldn't get far enough forward, though, so it's not a good aero fit for me. If ~76 degrees is enough for you, then perfect!

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Re: Soloist Tri Experiences? [reblAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a P3 and was considering a soloist next spring to use as a road bike and maybe the occasional tri. Madisonbucky did you find you rode the same size in both bikes?

I don't have a reputable dealer where I can test one, but hate to get the wrong size since they have different geometry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the opinions. I am now the owner of a new Soloist 105.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
congrats cowtipper. err... what IS a cowtipper anyway? We only have moose where I come from ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey cowtippers,

Congratulations on your new addition! Have you had a chance to go on a ride yet? If so, how do you like it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Simon Lessing
Quote Reply