Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Solo Ironman...
Quote | Reply
Anybody out there do a solo Ironman. What I mean is just marking off the distances and going for it solo one day. I would be curious about how you did it. Any tips or lessons learned? I am thinking about doing this with no clocks, no HRMs, no bike computer. Just go by effort with marked distances and finish when I finish. What do you think? How would you do it? Thanks in advance...

Mike
Quote Reply
Re: Solo Ironman... [Mike Prevost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you were to do it, you'd probably need to set-up a loop course. The worst would be the run, since you'd really want a aid station every mile, which means running 26 loops of a 1 mile course probably near your house. On the bike, I bet you could get away with doing 3 loops.

But I will say, this begs the question "why?"

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go for it. But, have you ever done this distance before? Have a good cell phone depending on where you are going.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike,

I'm thinking you'll either need to loop the bike n run or you'll need to plan fuel/hydration stops along the way. As you know, that'll be the show stopper. Likewise, I'd recommend against stretching it out too far from your home; it'll only add variables into the equation that could bring the endeavor to a halt.

FWIW, I've never done a self-supported IM, but I've done halfs on my own a couple times. ...Makes the cerveza and burrito go down that much easier at the end of a long, satisfying day.

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably not something I'd ever try, but.........if I did, I wouldn't worry about looping the bike course. I'd plan the route and use gas stations or whatever to fill bottles ect. I think the run would be the hardest part. I'd sure miss all the aid stations, fellow competitors, volunteers and spectators.

Good luck,

Mike

=====================================
It's ALL about the bike!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A friend of mine did 1 about 3 weeks ago. A group of us had gone down to do Redman and he DNF'ed on the run. It was very hot at Redman and he dehydrated and had cramps so bad he couldn't go on. He wanted to earn his iron so he setup his day and our local club helped him out. About 6 of us joined him for the swim at the local recplex at 7:00 in the morning. We did the 2.4 mile swim and then headed out to do the bike. He had setup a 3 loop course and about 5 or 6 of us did the first loop with him. He did the second loop solo and then 2 others joined for the last loop. He then did his run by doing 2 6+ mile loops and then when it got dark changed it to 4 3+ mile loops. We had food and drinks setup at our cars and there were some drinking fountains along the trail. Different people joined him for parts of the run to help him keep going. At the finish we had a clock setup, a boom box that we played music on and we even made him his own finisher medal. We made it into a club event and had a ball. Club members got a chance to have a group workout but help a friend earn his iron.

Rich G.
Proud member of the Geritol wave!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did exactly this the very first time the wife and I ever did a tri since we had absolutely no idea what to expect the first time. Of course this was just a sprint length. If doing a longer IM distance I'd definately do it over shorter loops so you'd always be close to home.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thought about it.

Man, that would be a boring swim. 160 lengths.

The ride would be fine. A triple or quadruple loop would break up the monotny, and allow for hydration.

The run would be difficult to hydrate. Perhaps a fuel belt refilled every 6 miles, might be the least intrusive way.

I have really given this serious thought. Knowing me, after tolerating the swim and bike, I'd start asking myself, "Why, again am I doing this?". The run would be l-o-n-e-l-y.

I think I'd be willing to do a "practice IM" with a small group of folks just looking to get stupid, and do something together (and different, way different).

I do solo Olys now and then. I'll likely do one or two solo 1/2's in the summer (and 3 official).

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Re: Solo Ironman... [RichG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You guys are my kinda morons. Wait, you guys made him a medal? I change that. You guys are my kinda dorks. (<--good thing, IMO)

Not sure if having friends join you negates the label of "solo", but it's still a pretty cool thing. That's cool that your friend would rather do that than live with a DNF for the whole off-season.

=======================
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike, I've thought about this several times, still haven't done it best of luck.

thoughts I've had are a backpack and selected 7-11's along the way on the bike (i have no problem standing in line at 7-11 covered head to toe in sweat, in a weird way i kinda enjoy it), the backpack for tires tubes and special needs, 7-11 for water/gatoraid. i don't like the idea of the looping to the house multiple times, not out there enough.
my town has great parks with fountains, i have an 11 mile out and back, that I just take gels with me... a couple of out and backs... with a few side bars. That's been one of my ideas...

Have you ever considered visiting Oahu and doing a solo on the original course? I would advise against the waikiki swim (rather a ways from the shore) but the alt course (used one year) at ala moana is a nice protected channel 1000 meters in length, very big and open, two out and backs... ride the orignal course come back to the hotel and go for run on the honolulu marathon course... parks with fountains on that course also (being an oahu resident, I still have that on my list)

I have done the IRONMAN REVISITED twice, great race real old school stuff and a great cause.

As for rappstar's question why? ah if you have to ask you wouldn't understand i guess... heck what kinda question is that on a tri board anyway? (just messin' with you - not a flame)
Quote Reply
Re: Solo Ironman... [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Which begs the response, "Why not?" ;-p

=======================
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey! I had just been thinking about this. My wife has nixed the idea of an IM for me next year, so I told her I'm going to do it anyway, with our driveway as T2, aid station stop and finish line (I'll start at the local pool). We're looking at a date next July. I think I'm going to do it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
If you were to do it, you'd probably need to set-up a loop course. The worst would be the run, since you'd really want a aid station every mile, which means running 26 loops of a 1 mile course probably near your house.
I know you must thinking in terms of racing it by yourself. Anyone who can do 26 mile loops is mentally a total bad ass or should I really say.... insane. How about a fuel belt and something a little more fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm signed up for Florida next year but if a hurricane F's up my goal then I'm going to do it anyway. I live on a lake so the swim is no problem, not too sure about the bike, and on the run I'd do a 2.5 mile loop with my house and a camelback for aid. I'd still use a hrm, clock, gps, etc. Hopefully mother nature cooperates next November so I can experience a 'real' IM event.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Solo Ironman... [Ashburn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Be interesting to see if others might join you on that date. I think I've got a 1/2IM planned for july, but I might be dumb enough interested in joining ya.

Might be more reassuring knowing that you're not the only moron athlete doing it.

=======================
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's awesome.... personally way better than any IM. Putting down the distance, appreciating friends, bringing out the good in people... sweet.

I'm thinking about something nearly as nutso as a "birthday challenge" in a couple months. I'll be turning 22, so I'm thinking 22 200's, 66 mi bike course and a 22mi run. I'll need all the help I can get... and I'm really hoping some of my teammates will do parts of the event with me--you give me hope that I can pull it off.

Thanks,

Daniel

The question of who is right and who is wrong has seemed to me always too small to be worth a moment's thought, while the question of what is right and what is wrong has seemed all-important.

-Albert J. Nock
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You and everybody involved that day should be commended on being a great friend and supporting the true sportsmanship of triathlon. The world (not just triathlon) needs more people like you. Very well done.

Joe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

It scares me to see this comment on Slowtwitch. Must we now explain to each other why we want to do triathlons? Why do any Ironman? What difference does it make if other people are doing it?

I know what my personal course would be. It would be a point-to-point endeavor from a lake in northern Minnesota to my house. Swim the length of the lake for 4 miles. Bike 100 to my uncle's house. Run 22 home. That would be a day. I'd just drive it first and leave food out along the way - you can still get by with that stuff up there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh ya, you should definately do it. Take pictures and report back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was a yearly bike/run fund raising inside one of the exclusive villages here. Riders/runners raised money for every kilometer completed. Some cyclist completed 180k riding a 12k loop. One of my friends thought of doing a solo IM instead of just riding his bike (but was worried it would affect his performance in the coming half im 50 days away) or running.

Pledges started coming in for him before the event as interest in his endeavor grew. Swam in a 50m pool (70+laps), rode the 12k couse (15 laps) and ran the bike course. Friends cheered him on and several riders/runners from the original charity event were amazed. He finished in 14hrs 13 mins (with long transitions chatting with friends), raised close to $4,000 for charity and did his best half IM weeks later.

It may be a bit of an advantage since there was an event around his IM compared to just you doing a solo, but a noble effort non the less. The multi loop set-up makes it possible.

Looks like other triathletes are planning for next year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why? That is a good question. I can't say exactly why the idea appeals to me so much, but it does. Not sue if I will make it this year as I will be moving early summer. We will see. Yes, I have done an IM previously. I have MANY good open water swimming venues locally. I can walk out my front door and walk 50 yards to get to Perdido bay. The Gulf is 3 miles away. I live on a peninsula that is about 9 miles long. Three loops should work on the run. That way, I go by my house 6 times. I have a nice bike course along the beach that would work as a 112 mile out and back. Logistically, I think I could do this. The hardest part will be marking a swim course. I can probably find a spot to swim parallel to the shore and do 1/2 mile loops. I will have to do some serious thinking about this. It will take quite a commitment to get it done.

Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This shouldn't be that difficult on the technical side. During IM buildup I do the first 2 segments every Saturday, with no race support. Swim should be easy to figure out. You can pack enough food/drink on your bike for 112 miles, even if its a single loop, or at least always manage to find a gas-n-go or 7-11 to refuel if needed.

The run would be the place where I'd probably crack, as marathons suck. I'd make up a 3 loop run course that went by my home each time so I could refuel my camelback or water bottles, and probably too, I'd simply go out on the course the morning of and stash drink bottles. The temptation to stop on the marathon would be a huge mental challenge for me.

--------------
Elivis needs boats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Why? That is a good question. I can't say exactly why the idea appeals to me so much, but it does. Not sue if I will make it this year as I will be moving early summer. We will see. Yes, I have done an IM previously. I have MANY good open water swimming venues locally. I can walk out my front door and walk 50 yards to get to Perdido bay. The Gulf is 3 miles away. I live on a peninsula that is about 9 miles long. Three loops should work on the run. That way, I go by my house 6 times. I have a nice bike course along the beach that would work as a 112 mile out and back. Logistically, I think I could do this. The hardest part will be marking a swim course. I can probably find a spot to swim parallel to the shore and do 1/2 mile loops. I will have to do some serious thinking about this. It will take quite a commitment to get it done.

Mike

Mike, sounds great! If you decide not to do it near your house, you're welcome over in Gulf Breeze. There's a nice 4 mile loop my house sits on, and I'd be happy to drive out on the loop and meet you for a second mobile aid station on the course. You could use the 50m pool at the Club for a measured swim. I wish the beach road was repaired, the 40m beach loop would be ideal! I'm sure Suzanne (sp?), me and maybe a few club members could work support wherever you need it. Give me a month or more of notice, and I'm yours for a day! I owe you big time for your support on my 1st century attempt and the ride home when I crashed. I'm up for joining you for parts of it as well, if I can keep up!

Tom
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was a guy in my tri club thinking about doing an indoor ironman...all in his apartment. Swim in an endless pool, bike on the trainer and run on the treadmill. The aid station situation would be good as you can have whatever food you want, but oh the boredom! It's tough on me to ride more than an hour inside.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]If you were to do it, you'd probably need to set-up a loop course. The worst would be the run, since you'd really want a aid station every mile, which means running 26 loops of a 1 mile course probably near your house. On the bike, I bet you could get away with doing 3 loops.

But I will say, this begs the question "why?"[/reply]

if it was me doing it, that's actually the last way i'd do it, unless i had someone counting my laps for me.
i say this as someone who always forgets how many laps i've swam, and how many laps i've run. and while i'm particularly bad at this, i have to think that after all that biking and swimming, it'd be pretty hard for anyone to keep track. if it was me it'd be 3 laps max, bike or run, once i'm out of the pool.
if you have someone else counting the laps, different story.
Quote Reply

Prev Next