Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Sold Out Ironman Races in NA
Quote | Reply
With things opening up I decided to start looking for Fall Ironman Races. So far Ironman Florida, Ironman Maryland and Ironman Wisconsin are all Sold Out. Only two left are Ironman Louisville and Ironman Chattanooga for the fall. I wonder if they are limiting participation? I would think with international travel restrictions or people not being comfortable traveling, the RDs would keep registration open a little longer. Surely they have information on who transferred out. I'm surprised at these races selling out.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Sold Out Ironman Races in NA [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With all the summer races being cancelled, you prob have a lot of folks in the US flocking to the few that are still scheduled to go ahead.
And just as an example, Florida was one of the transfer options for those who were supposed to do Texas, so probably filled up a lot from that. Not sure about the other two races, probably similar circumstances I'd guess.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironman St George still has spots available for racing on September 19.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not an Ironman, but my wife and I are signed up for Patriots Half the weekend of 9/11. We haven't booked a room yet because we are wondering if it is still going to happen.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel like I just checked the other day for Florida and it was still open so it filled up pretty recently. Bummed as I was keeping an eye on it but wasn't ready/able to throw down the $$ yet.
Quote Reply
Re: Sold Out Ironman Races in NA [pacco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know. I've done it 3 times and was watching it as well. No way in hell did I think it would sell out. I was waiting for a "for sure" race before signing up.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder if they are limiting registrants. This happened with IMWI too. Usually IM sends emails that there are fewer than 100 spots left in a race, none of those emails went out.
Quote Reply
Re: Sold Out Ironman Races in NA [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It looks like Texas, Waco is open. Confusing wording on the Ironman page because the course maps all show Woodlands but it says Waco.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel like Ironman has historically given a registration update as it approaches filling up but nothing this time around. I guess it's also possible that they logistically couldn't fit anymore bikes with the addition of the 70.3 and just had to close things (although they'd gladly take $1400 and make a spot).
Quote Reply
Re: Sold Out Ironman Races in NA [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only Foundation slots,no general entry.

SallyShortyPnts wrote:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My gut is that those races are all capping the overall registration numbers - I believe I saw that Eagleman/Maryland was for sure doing that, and only holding the max between the two races of what they would typically have for one race (I believe 2500). Same goes with Florida and Wisconsin.

IG: NCGregory8778
Quote Reply
Re: Sold Out Ironman Races in NA [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:

I think only Foundation slots are left.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm jumping into Ironman Chattanooga right now since it's still open. Looks like Gulf Coast 70.3 is full, Muncie 70.3 is full among others. I think people want to race, lol.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had this problem booking a train ticket for my parents who were stuck overseas and finally got home on a repatriation flight. From their final landing spot the best way to get home was a train leg, except the train was constantly sold out. As it turns out, they were running a reduced schedule and each car only had 1/4 the seats occupied even though website said "sold out". I bet Ironman is doing a bit of the same. Sold out races to which less people are traveling to are not "re opening" to fill the projects no shows or existing open races are being capped all to reduce density on course. My guess is that they want to run these races with reduced capacity and not cause a fuss and be perceived as a group spreading the virus wherever they are operating before building back to larger events next year.

There are a few 70.3's I am eyeing this fall, but I have to be able to travel to the USA first from Canada. Right now the border is closed (I believe till end of July) anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
timr wrote:
With things opening up I decided to start looking for Fall Ironman Races. So far Ironman Florida, Ironman Maryland and Ironman Wisconsin are all Sold Out. Only two left are Ironman Louisville and Ironman Chattanooga for the fall. I wonder if they are limiting participation? I would think with international travel restrictions or people not being comfortable traveling, the RDs would keep registration open a little longer. Surely they have information on who transferred out. I'm surprised at these races selling out.

These days, the status 'sold out' appears to be a pending cancellation... :-( I hope that won't be the case though...
Sam
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems odd that they would defer racers (Santa Rosa) to IMWI considering they already combined the WI 70.3 to that same day. Doing the exact opposite of limiting participants to keep gatherings smaller. Also feedback/updates from IM are horrendous as we already know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
timr wrote:
I'm jumping into Ironman Chattanooga right now since it's still open. Looks like Gulf Coast 70.3 is full, Muncie 70.3 is full among others. I think people want to race, lol.

Active registration site for Muncie still shows you can register for general entry ($325)
Quote Reply
Re: Sold Out Ironman Races in NA [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
but I have to be able to travel to the USA first from Canada. Right now the border is closed (I believe till end of July) anyway.

Turns out you can fly......article in Toronto Star (I didn't read the details)
Quote Reply
Re: Sold Out Ironman Races in NA [michael Hatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
michael Hatch wrote:
but I have to be able to travel to the USA first from Canada. Right now the border is closed (I believe till end of July) anyway.

Turns out you can fly......article in Toronto Star (I didn't read the details)

That's weird...but maybe its for essential travel. I want to travel to both Tampa and NYC for business once my customers are back in their offices. Probably the last place anyone in Ontario wants me to go and bring the virus back from, but regardless, I then have to go into a 14 day quarantine, so its not worth it!!! (yes, I am more deterred by the quarantine than the virus, so essentially the quarantine is working to keep people from potentially moving the virus around not by keeping them put at home after travel, but dissuading them to move in the first place....so that works)
Quote Reply
Re: Sold Out Ironman Races in NA [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried. If you click on General Registration Tier 4 it still only allows Relay Spots.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That was quick. I signed up this AM around 6:30 Mountain Time.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Sold Out Ironman Races in NA [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's strange because I tried yesterday. I wonder if the website was acting up. It worked out anyway as I'm heading a different direction as of today. Being from Indiana is a bucket list race.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I want to say they might have shut down sign-ups to avoid having to give refunds/deferrals when the events are still so far away. And potentially so that as more and more events get cancelled, people will still be able to transfer into them (like as transfer options when events are postponed).

I think they might re-open once there is a clearer idea of potential numbers based on how many events actually get to happen.
Quote Reply
Re: Sold Out Ironman Races in NA [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is the damn quarantine on the way back. Even if you go to Iceland which has zero cases I think. New York and Tampa, yes I want people to quarantine.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Sold Out Ironman Races in NA [spockwaslen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spockwaslen wrote:
It is the damn quarantine on the way back. Even if you go to Iceland which has zero cases I think. New York and Tampa, yes I want people to quarantine.

Hawaii is almost no cases now too, but I would have to quarantine on each end. For Iceland, you can enter with a test at the airport, and if you pass, you're good, if you fail, you pay for your own 14 day isolation until you recover (not sure how they do it, but one of my colleagues based in California is about to do that). That system seems reasonable because at some point, the world can't keep quarantining people moving around (and eventually people will move around....there is too much business and personal demand pent up, its just a question of time).
Quote Reply

Prev Next