Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Softride Rocket can't climb - - B.S.
Quote | Reply
Seems like there is the impression among some that post here that Softrides can't climb. I know its only anecdotal, but at IMFL no one ever passed me on any of the hills/rollers (hey, I'm a flat lander; those were mountains to me). In fact, I estimate that I passed no less than 2 riders on each hill. This, despite the fact that I carry everything but a sawhorse on the back of my bike.

And on the downhills, the rolling resistance advantage was evident. On a couple of hills I coasted just to see what would happen, and I still passed riders that were spinning away.

And FWIW, I'm anything but a good or experienced cyclist. I define the MOP label - - 5:46 on the bike. And I ride only once a week - - one long ride on Saturdays. Its got to be the bike, because it certainly isn't the engine.
Quote Reply
Re: Softride Rocket can't climb - - B.S. [ktw70115] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Bikes don't climb hills; people do."

Congrats on your fine hill-climbing skills.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I echo Ashburn's sentiments. What's a couple of pounds, anyway? And the Rocket isn't THAT heavy. As long as it is reasonably stiff for your style of pedalling, it should move along well. I remember I actually WON a hillclimb back in the 80's on a relatively heavy, relatively flexible, steel framed bike. I also had one of the early very stiff Cannondale bikes that was lighter, but, for some reason, I always had better hillclimbs on the steel bike....it sort of felt like a spring....that's the only way I know how to describe it...got into a good rhythm and powered up.

I have a beam bike too (although not a Softride), and I love it. They're a great idea, at least for those with back problems from road shock, and probably for many others, too. And they can be made VERY stiff and still be well under 20 lbs in larger sizes.

Another urban myth shot down.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: Softride Rocket can't climb - - B.S. [LarryCalifornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its all a matter of perspective. If you live in a city where the highest point - - 35 ft - - is bridge, and the rest is below sea level, IMFL w/ its 161 ft. of elevation = hills.
Quote Reply
Re: Softride Rocket can't climb - - B.S. [Titan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think having a softride or not having makes much of a difference. Besides, they are not heavy...you can get them at 18lbs...

however, taking IMFL to show they climb well, is maybe not the best choice :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Come out west and climb Palomar or Mt. Baldy and see if you re-evaluate!!

Funny, I've never had anyone on a softride pass me going uphill....hmmm

TheBikeRacer.com
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Softride Rocket can't climb - - B.S. [mwbyrd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it's because you're never there with Jurgen ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Softride Rocket can't climb - - B.S. [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote: however, taking IMFL to show they climb well, is maybe not the best choice

What? I heard people were getting nose-bleeds and some carried oxygen bottles in their behind-the-seat bottle holders due to the severe altitude at IMFL! ;)

You're right, it is a matter of perspective. I'm also writing from the perspective of a 185 lb rider, not a 130 lb pure mountain type rider. For them, a few lbs. might make a bigger difference than for me.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote: it's because you're never there with Jurgen ;-)

Well, mwbyrd said he never had anyone PASS him going uphill on a Softride...Jurgen was already up front before the hill began ;o)

Quote Reply
Re: Softride Rocket can't climb - - B.S. [LarryCalifornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I never got out of aero; many of the other riders were standing up, mashing.

I make no pretense that IMFL is mountainess. For post of you, it is paper flat. But the inclines obviously had enough of an impact on the other riders to slow them down, while I maintained my speed - - not to mention cruise pass them on the down hills.
Last edited by: ktw70115: Nov 9, 04 15:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, that guy doesn't count. I was on a ride with him and one of the "fast" guys (Trust me, I'm not being sarcastic) was trying to hang with Jurgen. Jurgen was telling the guy to come on, let's really ride - and this was at 27mph through the hills. The guy was doing everything he could to hang on. Oh yeah, I was dropped long before this "conversation" occured.

But I bet Jurgen has a custom Softride ;)

TheBikeRacer.com
Quote Reply
Re: Softride Rocket can't climb - - B.S. [Titan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn Skippy!!!

TheBikeRacer.com
Quote Reply
Re: Softride Rocket can't climb - - B.S. [mwbyrd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hard to believe how fast some people can ride. That's pretty cool that you at least started out the ride with someone like Jurgen. I got to see Hincapie a few times when I lived in the Charlotte area...he was probably on an easy day, and he dropped a load of us without any problem...and he was not trying to show off, he's just that much better.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A sincere question here. Is it just the geometry of the Softride compared to some other unmentioned bikes that makes it tougher to climb on? It would seem that 300 watts going through a Softride would climb pretty similar to 300 watts going through my Klein. Is it a comfort issue that is being discussed here? I agree with the statement about climbing Mt. Baldy though if you want to test a bike's climbing prowess.
Quote Reply
Re: Softride Rocket can't climb - - B.S. [Joe Wiley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any bike can climb a hill fast, after all it's the rider that propels the bike unless I'm missing something. I had a 23.5lb softride w/ a classic beam. I could and did smoke people on it going uphill.

Big strong engine = fast bike. Little tiny engine = slow bike

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Softride Rocket can't climb - - B.S. [Joe Wiley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think 300 watts will achieve almost exactly the same time under the same rider on different bikes up the same hill.

I'm new to beam riding (130 total miles), but, this is what I'm noticing...my pelvis is now tilted more forward...so my gluteal muscles are getting in the pedal stroke more. I didn't do this on a non-beam bike because of the, shall we say, "discomfort", especially when hitting rough spots in the road. I hope that recruiting these larger muscles (mine are fairly large, I'm an ex-sprinter), will result in more watts, so I'll be faster. Have to train them and practice it a bit, as well as maybe giving the quads time to adjust to the gluteals firing more...we'll see.

BTW, I've let my Rotor Cranks "cure" for two days, so tomorrow is my first day on them and my beam bike. Should be interesting.

PS, your Klein looks sharp!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how the hell do you know if your silly beam bike can climb? you were in fucking florida! the highest mountain there is space mountain and something tells the jerk they don't let softrides in unless they are so high....yet clearly you are high....put down that funny stuff, pack up your human powered vehicle and head for the georgia hills...they're a tank of gas away and you can figure out if you and the two wheeled thing darth vader gave you can climb. okay?

jerk

http://www.echelonbicycles.com
Quote Reply
Re: Softride Rocket can't climb - - B.S. [jerk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to have a Softride Rocket and now have a diamond frame TT/Tri bike. I'm not sure what it is but I climbed much better on my Rocket (& I'm not talking about Florida, but GA (six gaps) & NC real hills :) than my diamond frame TT bike I have now & I passed a lot of people going up hill on it (But I'm also a lightweight:). I would think for climbing the most important element would be fit and bottom bracket stiffness and yeah, I have a funky body with a longer torso in comparision to my legs so maybe the Softride fit is just a lot better for someone like me . Anyway everyone's different that's why there are so many bikes to choose from, but I 'm definitely thinking about going back to the Softride for my tri bike.

I'm sure Jurgen Zack, Jeff Cuddeback & Patrick High who all ride Softrides pass plenty of people :)
Quote Reply