Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Softride Bikes: What is the deal with the bouncing?
Quote | Reply
I have owned two Softrides and have been training for triathlons for 8 years. I have been criticized heavily by friends and fellow cyclists for the bounce in my seat beam when I am riding. How much power am I losing when I bounce, if any at all. Does this mean I am riding incorrectly? Or do most people ride incorrectly and they would not really know it unless they rode a beam type bike like a Softride?

Any thouhts or insights would be greatly appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Softride Bikes: What is the deal with the bouncing? [kfisher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To prevent the bounce you need a smooth circular pedal stroke and without that you probably loose power but I couldn't tell you just how much.
Quote Reply
Re: Softride Bikes: What is the deal with the bouncing? [olddude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
your losing power. that bouncing is you just pushing down and not pedalling circles. I've owned two and I'll say that was one of the best investments you can get to correct your pedalling stroke

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Softride Bikes: What is the deal with the bouncing? [kfisher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey there, When I bought my Classic tt last year I had the same problem. The problem declined with the passing miles, but it is important to remember that your beam will respond to the bumps in the road, that by the nature of the beam were not harsh on your tail. Your friends perspective probably does not take this into account. I have found that these beams do not like a heavy pull stroke while seated, but on the other hand at a 79-80 degree seat angle I am always spinning up hills in my aerobars, not trying to mash gears for power, and I can do this for hours in comfort. I have a feeling if you are riding for power you might be unloading and loading your body weight on the beam, try shifting a few teeth up in the back increase your cadence, and smooth out the stroke. At a shallow road seat angle (about 73) cadence above about 95 will definitely cause bounce (bad bounce), but at a seat angle of like 79-80 degrees I have been able to spin up short steep hills at a cadence of 115 with no bounce at all. The steeper seat angle also decreases the leverage your weight has on the beam. It would help to have some of your personal and bike specs, but all said, you may have to fiddle with equiptment adjustments until you and the bike are happy together, I feel lucky to have found my perfect set-up after only about 6 months, and dropped my 40k almost 9 minutes in the process. I am unable to imagine racing on anything else. Hey if you are in So. Cal lets ride, softrides are few and far between.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
don't worry about all the people making fun, Softrides are the best, I still miss my powerwing... But yes if you ride with roadies you will be ridiculed, and ridiculed, and then they'll say mean things about you bike... Best to drop them quickly or else wait for one of those rough patches in the road and just blow through it while their chattering away:)
Quote Reply
Re: Softride Bikes: What is the deal with the bouncing? [Tai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahhh my Softride brethren...we are so very few..yet so very blessed. I wouldn't trade my Softride now for any other bike on the market (and some that aren't available to the public either). When the pedal stroke smooths out and you find the perfectly dialed in fit on your Softie life is a wonderful thing. Until then..bounce..and your posterior will be glad the beam gets it instead. While on topic..anyone else join the Beam Team? Got an email early press release that they are making a Classic TT version of the special edition Rocket SE..calling it the Classic LE. Polished Powerwings..mmmm. Planned on doing exactly that to my current rig..now I can buy it from the factory like that. Word is..frame fork and beam...$999 (or something like that..and complete for under $1700).
Quote Reply
Re: Softride Bikes: What is the deal with the bouncing? [Kentiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What I love is for people to look at my Softride and ask why I ride that...and tell them that I prefer it over my custom Litespeed's....usually get a shocked look.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Softride Bikes: What is the deal with the bouncing? [Record10ti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the other thing you can do it tighten the beam if it is a classic. remove the little cover near the headtube, carefully lift out the little tray, take a socket wrench and give it a few righty tighty turns. Bingo a stiffer beam.
All this softride love makes me think about getting another one, if only the damn things didn't require so much wrenching. Maybe I'll rebuild mine for the IM

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Softride Bikes: What is the deal with the bouncing? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All good posts here and some good advice for KFISHER. Some recommendations I have for this are:

1. The beam only reflects the loads placed upon it. Unlike a rigid frame, a beam will adapt to your body instead of forcing you to adapt to the frame. If your pedal stroke isn't smooth (round) or efficient, the beam will let you know by moving up and down. As you ride more on a Softride and your stroke improves, the bobbing will disappear. Unlike any other frame, a Softride can help you become a better rider by giving you feedback.

2. Beam motion can be caused by improper saddle height. If your saddle is too high or too low, your muscles are unable to revolve smoothly and will cause the beam to bob. For example, if your saddle is too high on a rigid bike your hips are forced to extend out of the hip joint on every revolution. On a beam, the hips will stay in joint with every revolution, but the beam will pull down instead. The result is bob. The solution is to adjust the saddle.

One recommendation listed in this thread that I would be cautious of is the tightening of the nut on the front attachment assembly of the Classic beam. The nut should be tightened 1 revolution after initial contact with the washer.

If you have any additional questions feel free to contact Softride @ 888.258.7299

Thanks

Adam

Softride Bike

Quote Reply
Re: Softride Bikes: What is the deal with the bouncing? [ADAMSOFTRIDE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

...as you ride more on a Softride and your stroke improves, the bobbing will disappear.

I don't think it ever completely disappears. I've been on my Softride Powerwing for 5 years now and I know I still bob a bit. I've ridden behind a lot of other Softriders and they all bob. I wouldn't worry about trying to eliminate it. Just try to minimize it.
Quote Reply
Re: Softride Bikes: What is the deal with the bouncing? [Tai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You might want to mention to those ridiculing roadies, that Alex Steida, who was the first North American cyclist to ever wear the Tour de France Yellow Jersey, while racing for 7 - 11, finished up his pro road racing career riding and racing on a Softride road bike and winning a number of North America road races and criteriums.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Softride Bikes: What is the deal with the bouncing? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and from the current breed of roadies you're likely to get an 'Alex who?'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sure this is too obvious...but make sure you are sized correctly. I think people see consistent bob if their seats are placed incorrectly.

I love mine, and I don't care how many roadies make fun of me. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got one (original Powercurve frame) and while the bobbing has minimized with use, it still re-appears from time to time. While I like the ride, I think that a stiffer beam might be better for me.

Along those lines, I think I'll eventually replace the Softride with a Titan-Flex. I like the fact that you can get booms with different levels of flex, and have heard nothing but top notch reports about Tom Piszkin (the inventor and main dude I'd be dealing with). I've also never been able to climb well on my Softride, and hear that the Titan-Flex climbs really well.

In the meantime however, I might try tightening the beam bolt a bit (as suggested above) to try for a stiffer beam.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have what I suppose is a historical question? Why were the softrides invented in the first place? And is there a particular rider (size and weight) or riding style these were designed for?

thanks

------------------------------------------------

Trying to find ways to pass the time.
Quote Reply
Re: Softride Bikes: What is the deal with the bouncing? [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Softride currently has two beams in the market that offers all the performance advantages of beam technology. The Classic beam is offered in two different spring rates to accommodate virtually any application - you decide how stiff or soft you like it. The Softride beam, both Classic and Rocket, are the only two beams in the market with controlled damping. The added element of controlled damping, found on all high performance vehicles, and keeps the rider from bouncing up and down uncontrolled. To further explain the difference in the two beams I have included the following:

Classic Beam:
The Classic beam is the best example of all that beam suspension technology offers. It is designed for those people who are open to understanding all the benefits beam technology offers and who understand that the more comfortable they are, the better their body will be able to perform. The Classic beam maximizes the Performance Advantages of comfort, reduced rolling resistance, cornering traction and adjustability, all the while still offering a responsive and aerodynamic chassis.

Rocket Beam: The Rocket is stiffer and lighter than the Classic beam and thus helps to bridge the gap between traditional rigid frames and suspension technology. The Rocket is designed to maximize the Performance Advantages of frame stiffness and aerodynamics while still providing the rider with greater comfort, better handling and less rolling resistance than a rigid frame at the same time. The Rocket provides a more "traditional" ride and doesn't take as long to get used to as the Classic Beam.

Note: tightening the nut on the front attachment assembly is not recommended as suggested earlier. The front attachment parts were designed to work under certain loads and have specific torque recommendations. If you are looking for ways to stiffen your Classic Beam it may be in your best interest to go to a higher spring rate. If this is the case give us a call.

Adam

Softride Bike

Quote Reply
Re: Softride Bikes: What is the deal with the bouncing? [ADAMSOFTRIDE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Adam, thanks for the information. While I was aware of the 2 beam styles, I had no idea that the classic beam was available with different spring rates. Is there a way I can tell which I have by looking at it? I purchased the bike 2nd hand, so I really don't know all that much about it.

Thanks,

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Khai,

To tell what beam you are currently riding look at the sticker underneath the beam near the Made in U.S.A decal. The sticker should indicate a 510 (soft) or a 530 (firm) Every beam out of Softride is tested and a measure of deflection is recorded on the sticker.

No worries for the info.

Adam
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool - I'll check as soon as I get home! What's the MSRP on a new (stiff) beam? I suppose it will depend on my dealer, but a ballpark figure would be good to have...

Thanks,

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Khai,

New Classic beams MSRP are $229.99

Thanks,

Adam
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Adam,

This is some good Softride info. Do the newer beams still have a rider weight limit? I stopped considering Softride when I found out the new beam was for those of us under 200 lbs.

If so, please sell me on the old beam for a 220-30 pound rider.

Actually, I'm 250 now, but if I ever get back to cycling regularly, 220 will be the target.

"Nobody gets out of here alive."
Quote Reply
Re: Softride Bikes: What is the deal with the bouncing? [bruiser98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
According to the website, the "classic" beam is good for rider up to 240lbs while the "rocket" beam is limited to <200lb riders.

I'm sure Adam can fill you in on any new details, or correct me if I've misread something.

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Softride Bikes: What is the deal with the bouncing? [bruiser98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bruiser98,

Glad to help you out. A Classic Beam will take a rider up to 240lbs. Currently four Softride models use the Classic Beam and have been very successful throughout the years.

Many riders have used the Classic beam that are over the 240lb recommendation. Former offensive tackle from the New England Patriot's, Darryl Haley, set a record in Kona as the biggest athlete ever to compete in the Ironman. Standing 6'5" and weighing in at 295 lbs., Darryl rode a Softride Solo equipped with a 530 Softride beam.

Thanks,

Adam

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So if a 295 pounder can use the classic beam rated to 240, can I use the new beam at 230 when its rated to 200?

Do I have to sign a waiver?

I was a part of Team Clydesdale way back when Haley was racing, and was just waiting for the day when that classic beam would snap. It never did, always tempting me to press my luck and not heed the weight limit with the new. His Hed 3s never seemed to show any unusual wear either. I guess the good stuff just stands up to more abuse than the engineers (and lawyers) would like.

You really don't have to answer than question. I'm well aware of the world of shit you would be putting yourself in if you said 'Sure, go ahead and use the new beam, you'll be fine'. 200 pounds means 200 pounds. People could make a living off the law suits you'd generate.

But on the same token, are there any similar stories about riders who have blown off your reccomendations with the new beam?

Is it the beam itself that is the weak point? Maybe the hardware or frame attachment? Can I be a test dummy (literally) for Softride and see how big the pothole required to break the beam is when exceeding the limit?

Again, don't answer if this could get you in any trouble.

"Nobody gets out of here alive."
Quote Reply
Re: Softride Bikes: What is the deal with the bouncing? [Race4LV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It soothes my bitter soul to read so much good feedback regarding the Softride experience. I'm "this" close to hanging up my new Rocket TT7 in frustration and disgust; maybe, just maybe, there might be a solution. I spent so much money and time on the purchase of this bike; I had really high expectations. Now I wonder if I can even ride the thing for the bike leg of an upcoming 1/2 IM. When I read of folks riding for hours in comfort, I just shake my head in wonder.
Quote Reply

Prev Next