Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Socks on bike in 70.3? Why?
Quote | Reply
I’ve been doing Ironman’s for a while now. (13 years). Just recently started noticing more socks on the bike. Recently I noticed a handful of guys wearing cycling socks(the ones that are cut to about 6inches above the ankle) at Ohio 70.3. These were FOP guys. Guys that were coming off the bike in the top 30 overall. I’m wondering why. Especially since a high cut sock is more difficult to put on fast than a low cut one. I was thinking that this was purely for looks, that they wanted the ‘cyclist look’? Or is there another reason?
Quote Reply
Re: Socks on bike in 70.3? Why? [Afg53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More Aerodynamic ?
Quote Reply
Re: Socks on bike in 70.3? Why? [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Isn't that what people shave their legs for?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because it takes at most 5 seconds to put socks on if you have them rolled so you roll them on like a sock condom. I wear WrightSocks (very thin, two layers) which make it essentially impossible for me to get blisters, even if my feet are completely soaked from torrential rain or dousing myself all day in water/ice. I also apply body glide to the inside of the socks. I used to apply it to my feet in T1, so the socks probably actually save me time in T1.

I wear Vaporfly shoes, which completely destroy my feet if worn sockless. So all in all, I essential get blister insurance the whole race, probably spend no more (and perhaps less) time in T1, and get to wear shoes that allow me to run 10-15 sec per mile faster. Seems like a good trade by my math.

I even wear socks for Olympic distance races! In a full IM, I change to a fresh pair of WrightSocks at T2, just because fresh socks feel really nice and the extra layer of Body Glide inside the sock helps too.
Last edited by: wintershade: Aug 2, 19 10:54
Quote Reply
Re: Socks on bike in 70.3? Why? [SnowChicken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No. Skin is relatively slow. Which is why you see more people going to trisuits with sleeves.

If I'm going to wear socks for the run, I might as well put them on for the bike too. It's the same amount of time, just either in T1 or T2. Plus I do 100% of my training with socks, so racing with them makes sense outside maybe a sprint/oly where every second is crucial
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would guess most people wear socks for the run. Technically, shouldn't matter too much when you put them on, in T1 or T2, so if someone is more used to riding with socks, why not T1?

I hate socks and only wear them on 3 occasions: when I'm running (train or race), when I wear dress shoes to a formal event, and sometimes, if I remember, when I go to my in-laws' house. In a race, I prefer putting them on in T2 as I do all my training and bike commuting sockless and I'm just used to it. I'm FOP by your definition, but rarely race anything shorter than 70.3.
Quote Reply
Re: Socks on bike in 70.3? Why? [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never thought of rolling them up to put them on! Thanks for the tip!
Quote Reply
Re: Socks on bike in 70.3? Why? [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
indianacyclist wrote:
No. Skin is relatively slow. Which is why you see more people going to trisuits with sleeves.

If I'm going to wear socks for the run, I might as well put them on for the bike too. It's the same amount of time, just either in T1 or T2. Plus I do 100% of my training with socks, so racing with them makes sense outside maybe a sprint/oly where every second is crucial

Your feet are wet in T1 and it's much harder to put socks on wet feet. You might be sweaty coming into T2, but it's never nearly as bad as having just come out of the water.

My cycling shoes are perfectly comfortable to be worn for 112 miles without socks, and are designed to do so (S-works Tri-Vents). So I just put socks on in T2 no matter the race distance.

I guess if my shoes weren't terribly comfortable to be worn sockless I would deal with it in T1.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Afg53 wrote:
I’ve been doing Ironman’s for a while now. (13 years). Just recently started noticing more socks on the bike. Recently I noticed a handful of guys wearing cycling socks(the ones that are cut to about 6inches above the ankle) at Ohio 70.3. These were FOP guys. Guys that were coming off the bike in the top 30 overall. I’m wondering why. Especially since a high cut sock is more difficult to put on fast than a low cut one. I was thinking that this was purely for looks, that they wanted the ‘cyclist look’? Or is there another reason?

More clothes to wear = more advertising space
Quote Reply
Re: Socks on bike in 70.3? Why? [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
More Aerodynamic ?

^^ This. Socks are more aero than skin, even shaved skin. Just like sleeves on tri suits (if they fit properly...). There's a reason the UCI has restricted sock height...

If you are going to put on socks for the run anyways, its not really added time. Higher sock can be rolled on likes mentioned above. I also turn the sock inside out, put a bunch of talc powder and then have it pre rolled ready to go on fast. the talc helps with the wet feet.
Quote Reply
Re: Socks on bike in 70.3? Why? [CyclingClyde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Empires chew the living shit out of my feet without socks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like to start my run with fresh socks. And, my bike shoes are perfectly comfortable without socks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some socks are pretty damn aero and can save up to (redacted) watts

I've got a pair of (redacted) socks that I'm going to be wearing for all the rest of my 70.3 races this season.

Now there are socks out there that are not aero and will cost you time vs bare legs.

Choose your socks carefully ladies and gents

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wintershade wrote:
I wear Vaporfly shoes, which completely destroy my feet if worn sockless. So all in all, I essential get blister insurance the whole race, probably spend no more (and perhaps less) time in T1, and get to wear shoes that allow me to run 10-15 sec per mile faster. Seems like a good trade by my math.

I also found the Flyknit Vaporfly much faster to put on with socks. Using them for a sprint, I had to sit down(!) to get them on my bare feet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I personally wear socks for all distance races, from sprint up to full IM. i'd rather not have the potential of blisters to ruin a part of the day. it takes seconds to put them on, so why not ?
Quote Reply
Re: Socks on bike in 70.3? Why? [nagost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've lost races and podium spots by seconds, including full IMs..

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Quote Reply
Re: Socks on bike in 70.3? Why? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Some socks are pretty damn aero and can save up to (redacted) watts

I've got a pair of (redacted) socks that I'm going to be wearing for all the rest of my 70.3 races this season.

Now there are socks out there that are not aero and will cost you time vs bare legs.

Choose your socks carefully ladies and gents

Just about to buy a couple pair of socks

I can be persuaded

Any brands and models you would recommend?

👋
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never in T1....because I piss myself on the bike and I don't need piss soaked socks to deal with when I make it to the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because the pros are.

It's a Good life if you don't Weaken!
My Mom 1922-2004
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wintershade wrote:
....so the socks probably actually save me time in T1......

It is impossible to be faster in T1 by putting on socks vs not putting on socks.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Socks on bike in 70.3? Why? [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I pissed myself twice on the bike at my last race. Two things I'm not doing in a race are wearing my Giro Imperials or wearing socks on the bike. I do put them on in T2 though.

Culley22 wrote:
Never in T1....because I piss myself on the bike and I don't need piss soaked socks to deal with when I make it to the run.
Quote Reply
Re: Socks on bike in 70.3? Why? [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
wintershade wrote:
....so the socks probably actually save me time in T1......

It is impossible to be faster in T1 by putting on socks vs not putting on socks.

I used to apply some body glide to my feet in T1 before I wore socks, or I’d get blisters. Now I apply the body glide inside the sock. I think I get the socks on faster than I was applying the body glide, so for me, it’s faster.

Also, if you’re getting puss in your socks you’re doing it wrong. Piss into the wind, like a dog.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wintershade wrote:

Also, if you’re getting piss in your socks you’re doing it wrong. Piss into the wind, like a dog.
I don’t know how you do it but I don’t do much other than hold my leg straight and go, and it’s like a broken faucet head at first contact with my suit. It’s everywhere, and a LOT down the leg.
Quote Reply
Re: Socks on bike in 70.3? Why? [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, it doesn’t seem to bother you. But if it does, get a tri suit with a fly like the DeSoto FliSuit. Stick your pecker through the hole, lift your leg in the air like a dog, piss goes under the leg and behind you. I get none on my body anywhere. It’s probably illegal, but do it somewhere with no spectators and it’s really not that obvious anyhow.
Quote Reply
Re: Socks on bike in 70.3? Why? [CyclingClyde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CyclingClyde wrote:
MrTri123 wrote:
More Aerodynamic ?

^^ This. Socks are more aero than skin, even shaved skin. Just like sleeves on tri suits (if they fit properly...). There's a reason the UCI has restricted sock height...

If you are going to put on socks for the run anyways, its not really added time. Higher sock can be rolled on likes mentioned above. I also turn the sock inside out, put a bunch of talc powder and then have it pre rolled ready to go on fast. the talc helps with the wet feet.

Totally this. I heard some pretty incredible independent wind tunnel results from the castelli aero socks. Since I run in socks anyway, why not get the aero advantage? Rolling them on to wet feet is not hard.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply

Prev Next