Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

So what happened there then?
Quote | Reply
Out for penultimate long run before IM last night. Trotting along quite happy for just over two hours and ignoring building soreness in my thighs (not fresh at all). I had been gulping from water bottle every 15 mins with SIS GO (electrolyte energy drink). It wasn't that warm, though quite humid. Last 20 mins HR starts to climb up from 161bpm tops out at end of run at 172+. Brisk walk for 10 mins or so warm down. Get to front door not feeling too great. Suddenly very light headed and feeling cold. Didn't feel too good for the rest of the evening at all, continued to feel chilled. Tired this morning, otherwise ok.

So what was that all about? Not enough fluid/salts/energy taken on during run? Too fatigued before run?

Jon
Quote Reply
Re: So what happened there then? [Jon-Andrew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is not complicated Jon. You got tired. Sounds like you are ready for the IM taper soon. I look forward to your smoking me in Lake Placid.
Quote Reply
Re: So what happened there then? [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it won't be me smoking you I'm afraid!? I am doing IM Switzerland!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had similar experience lately. When I recently did a long run at lunch time with temperatures over 90F (found no other time) my heart rate steadily rose (from 125 to 140; 170 is my race HR / LT) as long as I run in the sun. When I came in a forrest it came down again. So this was the heat.
When I did a Half-IM a month ago I felt also a bit light headed and cold. This was after I run the first 9km in the sun at 2pm on a hot day (also above 90F). Then I started to eat some salty food in addition to water and electrolyte energy drink at the aid stations. Then I felt better. Here it was the heat and probably to less salt. But I am not sure.
I also experienced this feeling light headed and cold once I walked for some time trough Bangkok on a hot day.

Felix

http://www.weilenmann.ch.vu
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Classic symptoms of dehydration. Feeling cold is my signal that it is time to stop, no matter what - I take it as past normal dehydration and into a danger point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When do you do the last long run and bike? I am also doing IM Switzerland and am not sure of this.

Are you Andrew Jonathan (No 219) from GBR. Then we start in the same age group.

Felix Weilenmann (No 169)

http://www.weilenmann.ch.vu
Quote Reply
Re: So what happened there then? [felix__w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep - that'll be me.

I am no expert..... but.... Did last big cycle w/end last w/end. 110 miles steady Sat, 60 miles of Surrey hills on Sun. This w/end going to Henley Royal Regatta to see friends :-), then Sunday - hills again and final long run - drinking more this time! - somewhere between 2.5 and 3 hours on Monday - then taper from there.

I am leaving the last big run to later for work timetable reasons mainly.
Quote Reply