Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
So the Drop Shop is exciting, but Zwift also now has a Ramp Test for setting FTP...
Quote | Reply
Has anyone done our new Ramp Test? I'm pretty excited to have added in another FTP test option in this latest release...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Last edited by: Rappstar: Feb 28, 19 19:04
Quote Reply
Re: So the Drop Shop is exciting, but Zwift also now has a Ramp Test for setting FTP... [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I need to do one next week. Thanks for the heads up.
Quote Reply
Re: So the Drop Shop is exciting, but Zwift also now has a Ramp Test for setting FTP... [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice, i wonder where you got that idea from.
Quote Reply
Re: So the Drop Shop is exciting, but Zwift also now has a Ramp Test for setting FTP... [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:

Trying to imply something?
Please elaborate.
Last edited by: Ai_1: Mar 1, 19 1:07
Quote Reply
Re: So the Drop Shop is exciting, but Zwift also now has a Ramp Test for setting FTP... [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Google 'Zwift drop...' or 'Zwift drops...' and you get a lot of complaining about dropouts. I can't help but think Zwift is attempting to bury this information with the name 'drop shop' and I think that's a poor gimmick in the long run.

From my own experience, dropouts have never been the fault of Zwift per-say but rather my own set up and local interference. I think most people can change the set-up to improve their signal, but I think Zwift should be supporting them in this endeavour not trying to hide from the issue. Dropouts are a real problem in the context of the social aspects of Zwift and providing advice on how to tackle the issue is a customer support issue the Zwift team should be tackling head-on. Just because the problem isn't the fault of the software doesn't mean Zwift benefits from hiding behind easy gimmicks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thumbs up.

I find the ramp test more 'fun' than the traditional stuff. I don't care if it's a few watts off either way. But, it gives me a ball park area to set workouts...nothing more, nothing less. Since I find it more of mindset of 'max out' like in the gym, I'm more likely to do it more often.

will give it a shot.

"Outwork your talent." Kevin McHale
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jordan

What step length and rate of change did you settle on?

David T-D
http://www.tilburydavis.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did one today and have two suggestions. 1) A warm up protocol. There are plenty of good warm-ups but IMO 5' free ride is not one. 2) The average power listed should perhaps be the FTP (and labelled) instead. It's a letdown when you finish the workout and the adjusted is ~40w lower than what was displayed. I quickly went from 10w over my current FTP to 30w lower than it and I think I could have done a longer pull had I known I was below my numbers.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m excited for the ramp test. We’ve transitioned most of the athletes we coach to that protocol as it seems to be fairly accurate and it takes pacing out of the equation compared to the 20 min test. We built our own ramp test but if our athletes don’t want to pay for a TP account then it’s hard to pull the one minute max power from the workout without downloading, inputting into WKO or some other program, and getting it manually. Really excited that this is here.
Quote Reply
Re: So the Drop Shop is exciting, but Zwift also now has a Ramp Test for setting FTP... [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:

??? I'm finishing up the 6 week FTP builder plan this week and was planning on doing some kind of FTP test next week.
Quote Reply
Re: So the Drop Shop is exciting, but Zwift also now has a Ramp Test for setting FTP... [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scott8888 wrote:
Google 'Zwift drop...' or 'Zwift drops...' and you get a lot of complaining about dropouts. I can't help but think Zwift is attempting to bury this information with the name 'drop shop' and I think that's a poor gimmick in the long run.

From my own experience, dropouts have never been the fault of Zwift per-say but rather my own set up and local interference. I think most people can change the set-up to improve their signal, but I think Zwift should be supporting them in this endeavour not trying to hide from the issue. Dropouts are a real problem in the context of the social aspects of Zwift and providing advice on how to tackle the issue is a customer support issue the Zwift team should be tackling head-on. Just because the problem isn't the fault of the software doesn't mean Zwift benefits from hiding behind easy gimmicks.

I honestly wish that we could take credit for being this clever/devious. We've just overhauled our whole support site and moving it to a new architecture. So there may be some bad links that make it harder to find some of the info on setup than there used to be. But I've just completed a whole article on trying to improve signal integrity and calibration of data. So it's definitely not something we're trying to hide behind. I'd actually say there's likely no single topic that we spend more time thinking about internally.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: So the Drop Shop is exciting, but Zwift also now has a Ramp Test for setting FTP... [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:
I did one today and have two suggestions. 1) A warm up protocol. There are plenty of good warm-ups but IMO 5' free ride is not one. 2) The average power listed should perhaps be the FTP (and labelled) instead. It's a letdown when you finish the workout and the adjusted is ~40w lower than what was displayed. I quickly went from 10w over my current FTP to 30w lower than it and I think I could have done a longer pull had I known I was below my numbers.

But the FTP is "inferred," so it's not really accurate to show your FTP especially early on. I get what you're saying, but how much of that is because it's a new experience?

"standard" for this test is a 5-10min warm-up, but I could see people maybe wanting more. This is one thing where I'd like a bit more flexibility in FreeRide blocks. Something like a "warmup until 'LAP' press." Maybe we can add a second 5min warmup that can be skipped?

Thanks for the feedback. We wanted to keep the workout "compact," but maybe 5min is a bit short. From my perspective, given that the test "starts" at only 100w, we still considered the first 2-3 steps (up to 160w) to still be warmup for "most" people (so more like 8min).

I will say that a higher intensity warmup is definitely not typical for this test.

Quote Reply
Re: So the Drop Shop is exciting, but Zwift also now has a Ramp Test for setting FTP... [tilburs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tilburs wrote:
Jordan

What step length and rate of change did you settle on?

1min // 20w. Depending on engagement, we may add in a 15w and 25w version as well (or simply make a selector for 15/20/25w variants. And maybe even a selector for duration of steps, though I think power variations are more desirable than duration variants)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rapp,

Will Zwift investing time into creating more workouts? I make custom ones all the time but having a much larger workout library would be cool

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: So the Drop Shop is exciting, but Zwift also now has a Ramp Test for setting FTP... [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Rapp,

Will Zwift investing time into creating more workouts? I make custom ones all the time but having a much larger workout library would be cool

First step is to make workouts easier to find. We're definitely adding workouts and constantly adding, but I really want to improve people's ability to find/filter the workouts we have. They aren't mutually exclusive, but the former is more of a priority since adding workouts in the current structure isn't as good as it could be in terms of alerting people that we have these new workouts available.

Quote Reply
Re: So the Drop Shop is exciting, but Zwift also now has a Ramp Test for setting FTP... [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Rapp,

This. I used Zwift last year but went back to TR this year as I found the training plans and workout library in Zwift to be pretty underwhelming in both quality and numbers. Though I guess I’m comparing apples to oranges between the two.

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: So the Drop Shop is exciting, but Zwift also now has a Ramp Test for setting FTP... [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i am confident lassek was replying to OP and not to you.
Quote Reply
Re: So the Drop Shop is exciting, but Zwift also now has a Ramp Test for setting FTP... [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pun_Times wrote:
BryanD wrote:
Rapp,

This. I used Zwift last year but went back to TR this year as I found the training plans and workout library in Zwift to be pretty underwhelming in both quality and numbers. Though I guess I’m comparing apples to oranges between the two.

This was why I dropped my Zwift membership this last month. That and I kept thinking a footpod would get mailed out, but that's a different story. I also understand that the workouts are not an apples to apples comparison, but it is why there is people who won't move from TR to Zwift. If there are many more workouts, there's sure not a good way of finding and filtering them. I did really appreciate how you could (free)ride a little before and after workouts and keep everything in the same file.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am really excited about this since just 4 weeks ago I was looking for a ramp test on Zwift and now its here!

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:

X2! Next they'll have a weekly podcast........ I guess imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just to summarize for other folks on the thread: TrainerRoad.com changed their FTP test protocol to be a ramp test a while ago, and folks are commenting that Zwift is copying them or playing catch-up.

I think there were threads about TR's ramp test here on SlowTwitch, including some commentary by heavy hitters like Dr. Andrew Coggan. Use the search bar to find them if you have a few hours to kill and enjoy reading debates on the Interwebs :).

The TL;DR of ramp tests as a measure of FTP is:

1. Some folks think the ramp test has too much of a contribution from the "wrong" physiological systems for measuring FTP.
2. Most folks think ramp tests are easier to do, and can be done more frequently.
3. Sprinters might find their ramp test overestimates FTP, while time trialists might find it underestimates (same point at (#1), really).

Remember that the primary reason to do an FTP of any variety is to set the proper value for your structured workouts. Your FTP is not a precise measure of your value as a human being, and the measured value can be off by a bit but still give you an appropriate number to train with during your workouts.

-Mark Rebuck, http://www.markrebuck.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jordan, it's not just workouts but training plans as well. Hopefully new training plans will be added, and even better, training plans in the context of base, build, specific. Perhaps Zwift should just go buy TR and add their library of training plans.
Quote Reply
Re: So the Drop Shop is exciting, but Zwift also now has a Ramp Test for setting FTP... [MarkRebuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MarkRebuck wrote:
Just to summarize for other folks on the thread: TrainerRoad.com changed their FTP test protocol to be a ramp test a while ago, and folks are commenting that Zwift is copying them or playing catch-up.

I think there were threads about TR's ramp test here on SlowTwitch, including some commentary by heavy hitters like Dr. Andrew Coggan. Use the search bar to find them if you have a few hours to kill and enjoy reading debates on the Interwebs :).

The TL;DR of ramp tests as a measure of FTP is:

1. Some folks think the ramp test has too much of a contribution from the "wrong" physiological systems for measuring FTP.
2. Most folks think ramp tests are easier to do, and can be done more frequently.
3. Sprinters might find their ramp test overestimates FTP, while time trialists might find it underestimates (same point at (#1), really).

Remember that the primary reason to do an FTP of any variety is to set the proper value for your structured workouts. Your FTP is not a precise measure of your value as a human being, and the measured value can be off by a bit but still give you an appropriate number to train with during your workouts.

Blasphemy!!! :P
Quote Reply
Re: So the Drop Shop is exciting, but Zwift also now has a Ramp Test for setting FTP... [MarkRebuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good summary

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
But the FTP is "inferred," so it's not really accurate to show your FTP especially early on. I get what you're saying, but how much of that is because it's a new experience

I don’t really know what you mean inferred. The HUD gives average power over the workout and personally I’d prefer that metric to be calculated FTP so I know where I’m at. I remember thinking the same thing when I took the original “long test” years ago. For me, that’s a carrot. Put another way, the average power metric it gives now is pretty much useless, whereas a real-time, calculated FTP metric would be a pretty important and understandable number to chase.

Quote:
"standard" for this test is a 5-10min warm-up, but I could see people maybe wanting more. This is one thing where I'd like a bit more flexibility in FreeRide blocks. Something like a "warmup until 'LAP' press." Maybe we can add a second 5min warmup that can be skipped?

I remember the long ftp test was my first workout on zwift years ago. I liked it a lot as the structured warmup and test took all the guesswork out of the session. I came away impressed that the test was giving me a result as clinical as possible.

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. We wanted to keep the workout "compact," but maybe 5min is a bit short. From my perspective, given that the test "starts" at only 100w, we still considered the first 2-3 steps (up to 160w) to still be warmup for "most" people (so more like 8min).

I did a 5 minute ride prior to starting the test with 3 one minute efforts at 120% FTP. That seemed reasonable but what do I know. Lol

To be honest, I never took another FTP test on zwift until today. The short test seems more manageable from a mental & pain standpoint.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Last edited by: Timtek: Mar 1, 19 10:08
Quote Reply

Prev Next