Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
So can someone tell me why I shouldn't lift weights?
Quote | Reply
I suspect that 90+% of the people on this forum participate in triathlon, as a hobby. So what is the problem with incorporating weights to increase overall well-being and fitness? I am not talking about triathlon, running, cycling, or swimming fitness, just strength and fitness that is usable in every day.
Quote Reply
Re: So can someone tell me why I shouldn't lift weights? [iron3fit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I suspect that 90+% of the people on this forum participate in triathlon, as a hobby. So what is the problem with incorporating weights to increase overall well-being and fitness? I am not talking about triathlon, running, cycling, or swimming fitness, just strength and fitness that is usable in every day.

Nothing wrong with it at all for those reasons. Just don't expect it to enhance endurance performance over what you'd realize just training for endurance.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: So can someone tell me why I shouldn't lift weights? [iron3fit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you want to get faster, concentrate on swimming, biking, and running. Time spent lifting could be better used doing tri-specific training. If you dont care to get faster, lift.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't. In the context in which you frame the question, are there really anti-weightlifting people out there?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To my way of thinking weight lifting should be the last element that you should add. I never did get why some people do all this weight training and end up walking on the run, even in a sprint or oly race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree as well. I got into the sport, becasue I wanted to improve my overall fitness. I incorporate weight training, because of this. I do not think it will ever help, but I like the way that I feel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No problem with it at all. I lift 2-3x per week to keep my base strength. If you haven't been lifting at all, you won't see much gain from 2 lifting days a week. I could probably better spend this time doing tri-specific work, but because it is a hobby for me, I prefer to lift for a few reasons:

1. Four words: "Curls for the girls."

2. Power. If I can generate a slightly harder pull through the water, I'll take it.

3. So when you and I get in a scuffle at the next T1 because I kicked over your feet washing bucket, I in turn will point out the fact that I can bench around 275lbs. and will kick your bike over too if you don't stop whining.

On a serious note, I enjoy lifting for the strength training, but also appreciate the mental energy/concentration/toughness it takes. Most people I see just stroll around the weight room talking about themselves and looking at themselves in the mirrors. If you really are lifting hard, it takes a lot of mental energy and concentration during every set and that translates into mental toughness for anything, including triathlon.

------------------------------------------------------------
Did you touch my drumset? Nope. Why are you so sweaty? I was watching Cops.
Quote Reply
Re: So can someone tell me why I shouldn't lift weights? [Dr. Bearmilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The reason why you should lit is that imrpoves stride lenght when running and it will also help to improve lactic threshold
Quote Reply
Re: So can someone tell me why I shouldn't lift weights? [Brind-Surch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you prove this?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
"Lemond is cycling's version of Rev Jessie Jackson." -johnnyperu 5/18/07
"Just because I suck doesn't mean my bike has to" -rickn 9/2/08
Quote Reply
Re: So can someone tell me why I shouldn't lift weights? [Brind-Surch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The reason why you should lit is that imrpoves stride lenght when running and it will also help to improve lactic threshold

The only thing that will improve stride length is deep stretching exercises. Weightlifting, ESPECIALLY without concurrent stretching, will actually hinder stride length, as muscles do shorten and get tighter with weightlifting.

There is a version of plyometric training similar to the belt parachute that holds you back, in that someone on a bike or other vehicle tows you slightly faster than you could run yourself, the theory is that you get the muscle memory of the longer stride.

As far as weightlifting, it depends on the type. If you are lifting for mass/looks, then no, it won't help your tri training. If you are doing cardio type lifting (circuit), a couple times a week, it can be beneficial. Mostly in the areas of being able to adapt your muscles to a greater stress at a further reach than you could normally. Hrm. That's not worded well. What I mean, is that you can use something like lat pulldowns, or one armed rows to allow the weight to stretch you out further than you normally could, along with muscle tension at that stretch point. This can allow you to get a further reach on your crawl.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been lifting most of my triathlon career. I can't tell you a reason why you shouldn't lift weights in a core strength or a functional strength program. I can tell you that over the past four years since I've been doing core strength and functional strength training with weights/resistance that my body composition has changed considerably, massively increased my strength to weight ration and most importantly I have show up to almost every race injury free.

Will strength training make you faster? No, it's not intended to. It's supposed to make you stronger so that you can do the stuff that makes you faster longer with the correct form.

Find someone who can train you to do an overall core strength and functional training. I agree with the other anti-weight lifters as the typical weight lifting programs are not really useful for any except the people looking to add cosmetic bulk or body building.
Quote Reply
Re: So can someone tell me why I shouldn't lift weights? [ECE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do strength work to improve weak areas. Hips, glutes, hip flexors, etc etc. Helps maintain form on long runs (hips dont collapse as much etc) and that translates into injury prevention. It might not make me faster, but it helps me toe the line healthy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did, it dodn't slow me down because I am already slow ;) About 5 hour average half IM. Actually it made me stronger and not get injured. I didn't notice any change in the weight either (only when I used creatine I got 7 lbs heavier) now i am not lifting, I want to but i do not have time, I used to lift 3 times a week, but now I can only maybe once a week.

It hurts so bad, it feels good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh no, not another weight lifting thread!!!!!

Beetlejuice!.......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NSCA Endurance Training Conference last year had a presentation with a resounding "yes, do weights" theme.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started cycling again to lose weight. then after that was done I went to lift weight to get muscles so I look good instead of just thin. Now I am starting to look at triathlons so I can use all that training I did toward a goal.

I'd like to be an Ironman finisher some day but I also want to keep looking good and not just thin like a frequent marathon runner. This is my goal and frankly I don't think that lifting is going to make me any slower.

---

Warning: Username does not in any way apply to triathlon past and future performance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think triathletes should totally have a weight lifting regime. Weightlifting does not have to be sitting there and doing bench press after bench press. You can do all kinds of triathlete-esque training that will ultimately prepare your body to endure the rigors of training and help keep you injury free.

Functional training is important. Adding resistance training helps your muscles learn how to respond to load, reducing injury, and more. When you run, you essentially are putting all your body weight plus load impact on one leg. You can weight train to get your body to do this effectively (single leg squats are one example). In fact, single leg training is a good idea for runners and bikers, since they are essentially single leg activities. If you scoff at this, try doing a single leg squat.

In addition, you can train your muscles for endurance in the weight room-do higher reps (16-20).

More muscles can equal less fat and more strength, which ultimately equals moving faster. So not only can you help prevent injuries and train your muscles to handle higher loads, you can even get faster. Total body strength leads to better running/biking/swimming efficiency. Your body performs as a functional unit-the muscles connect together (running uses legs, which uses core muscles, which also feed into upper body, etc.).

There are a number of studies that focus on this question and more and more they are proving that weight training will help performance (but it has to be the right kind of weight training).

I could go one, but I completely believe that weightlifting is an important component for triathlon. There is a reason that elite endurance athletes do it!

Emily

------------------------------------------------------------
Bra Diva
Find a sports bra that won't let you down!
www.BraDiva.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I lift weights... on coaches orders. I'm getting faster, faster. Go figure.

n=1 is always right!
Last edited by: synchronicityII: Feb 28, 08 12:56
Quote Reply
Re: So can someone tell me why I shouldn't lift weights? [bdiva] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
There are a number of studies that focus on this question and more and more they are proving that weight training will help performance
There are no studies demonstrating that resistance training will improve endurance performance in trained cyclists.
Quote Reply
Re: So can someone tell me why I shouldn't lift weights? [scmax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
NSCA Endurance Training Conference last year had a presentation with a resounding "yes, do weights" theme.
Well duh: it is the National Strength and Conditioning Association.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"The reason why you should lit is that imrpoves stride lenght when running"
I dont know any great runners looking to increase their stride length.
Quote Reply
Re: So can someone tell me why I shouldn't lift weights? [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Isn't there a study that says 14% or so increase in ability to exercise at high intensity for trained cyclists if weight training was added? And another study that says one can replace a percent of their cycling training with weight training without losing cycling fitness (if this were the case, then the weights would make sense if they make you more injury resistant.)

I'm asking more than I am making a statement (I'm not an expert on this and you are, and I am trying to understand). But, I happened to read those figures in "Lore of Running" this morning and the conclusion of the section was there was no proven benefit to weight lifting for cyclists, but there was for runners.???
Quote Reply
Re: So can someone tell me why I shouldn't lift weights? [Jon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Isn't there a study that says 14% or so increase in ability to exercise at high intensity for trained cyclists if weight training was added?

That sounds like the study by Hickson et al., the subject in which would most properly be classified as NON-cycling recreational runners.

In Reply To:
And another study that says one can replace a percent of their cycling training with weight training without losing cycling fitness

That would be the study by my friend Asker Jeukendrup, which was conducted using cyclists who were in their "base" period (i.e., weren't doing any high intensity training at the time).

In Reply To:
(if this were the case, then the weights would make sense if they make you more injury resistant.)

Well as it so happens, there are no data to support that assertion either.
Quote Reply
Re: So can someone tell me why I shouldn't lift weights? [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eeaaaasy, Andrew. Yes, it is a strength organization, but they're not all about powerlifting. That conference happened to include some excellent triathlon coaches - Neal Henderson, William Kirousis, Robert Seebohar...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Oh how I love this hot button topic and watching all the internet muscles flex....as small as they may be due to not lifting :)

Anyway...to sum up from what's been said in other threads...and what the general consensus seems to be:

1. Lifting weights will not help your swim/bike/run endurance.
2. Lifting weights DOES have benefits in "real life" (also known as life outside swim/bike/run).

Based on that....and the fact that I live in "real life" I choose to lift.

As for the rest of this thread...it should be good...

*grabs popcorn*

------------------
The world is full of pricks who can only criticize. Are you one of them?

Your time and energy are limited. Are you wasting them by talking shit on the forums? -Dave Tate
Quote Reply

Prev Next