Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

So What Are My Options Now? Trek :(
Quote | Reply
So yesterday I walked into the local Trek Dealer looking to pic up a shiny SC 7.5

I spoke to the guys two weeks earlier and understood that they had no stock and that it will have to be ordered (1 month lead time). I said fine ill see you in two weeks with the credit card. Well yesterday they measured me up (well placed me on a M and a L and said the L is fine).

I tried some shoes _ asked for pedals and a new aero helmet. Great new kit sorted. Then when it came to paying for the lot the guy pulled out the calculator...wait for it $8500 just for the bike. I was like wtf I guess I wont take it then mate. Turns out there is no stock from US suppliers so the idiot decided I will be fine with the exact same bike from Project One with a bonkers markup.

Now I know they charge MSRP which translates to $6000 SGD but 8500 for the same thing...must be having a laugh.

Best of all he told me I can expect to wait at least 3-6
months for a new bike. I dont know but either my feet were really smelly or they really dont want to sell to me? The customer service was piss poor in general and frankly I dont think they deserve my support.

So long story short...what other options in the (USD 4200 range) do I have that has an integrated headset? I had a look at the cervelo P2/3 but while the bike is sweet the front end just isnt as tidy. How much time is to be lost by moving to a bike with noodles hanging out the front?

http://RoadID.com/...te/4HC4V-TAFQ9XPJDTX
Quote Reply
Re: So What Are My Options Now? Trek :( [BigCheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if you want to clean up the front end just use a Tri Omega front brake.
Other bikes to consider, Boardman 9.0, 9.4 and BMC TM02[/img]
Last edited by: Clutch Cargo: Jun 7, 14 2:31
Quote Reply
Re: So What Are My Options Now? Trek :( [Clutch Cargo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Buddy,

I like both the BMC and the boardman both which can be had for about 500 SGD less, however I noticed that neither has the integrated front end. Will one lose a lot of time with the stem and wires exposed? Does the exposed front brake make a big difference?

This seam like a good deal on the TM02?
http://www.bikeplus.com/bikes/road-tt.html

Might be a long shot but If I can get $1000 off that TM01 and maybe get them to keep the wheels might be a good option?

I had a word with the local boardman dealer and this is what he had to offer.

If you can wait, AiR/TT 9.0 is $4,200 and AiR/TT 9.2 is $5,300. He also mentioned Swiftcarbon never heard of them but I am open to ideas.

**prices are all in Singapore dollar so dont be alarmed. While the prices are generally higher here its not 1:1 to the USD.

Thanks

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Project One bikes don't have a different price from the stock bikes assuming you don't get one of the custom paint jobs or upgrade any of the components. So a Project One with one of the five stock paint schemes plus the same components costs the same as a stock model. There are several premium paint schemes that can add anywhere from $500-$1500 to the price. Then there's upgrades to components and wheels.

My guess is the Project One configured by you and your shop strayed a lot from the stock bike you were looking at.

I've ordered three Project One bikes from Trek so I'm well aware of the process.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: GMAN19030: Jun 7, 14 6:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
too bad you cant get what you want but in term of speed, the p2 and p3 will be pretty much even with the SC but at a much lower price. it might not be as cool but the new cervelo p2-3 set the standard in bike industry by it s simplicity, mechanically friendly, and within 1 watts of any bike that would be more aero....(there isnt many)

but at the end of the day, you need to get something you are excited about....

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The exact same bike from Project One would be the exact same price. Something must have changed or the LBS you are dealing with is out to lunch. The new P2/P3 is a nice bike and I wouldn't worry too uch about a few cables up front.

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: So What Are My Options Now? Trek :( [Clutch Cargo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Boardman's are nice bikes but the OP couldn't fit an Omega Brake as the fitted front brake is recessed inside the fork.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just bought a used 2012 SC that maybe had 200 road miles with some additional accessories like a Bontrager draft box and bento box for $1500

So my suggestion would be to look on the secondary market. You might find exactly what you're looking for at half the cost.

She's fast too
Quote Reply
Re: So What Are My Options Now? Trek :( [matthew2811] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes that is right you don't need a Omega on the Boardman but on a TM02 it really cleans up the front end.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Youre in Singapore? hit up the local 2nd hand markets for parts. The second hand market in Singapore is a buyers dream. You could probably score a good condition, good quality groupset for peanuts and wheels. Then grab the trek frame and build it up. You'd probably save.www.togoparts. Com comes to mind.

If the dealer you went to is treknology, i'd recommend you speak to the boss at their serangoon outlet. Bike shop staff in sg are not the most knowledgeable.

The integrated front end isnt really going to be a massive issue, it might save you a few watts but not worth haggling over.

Locally (in sg) I think the boardman is a good deal. Bmc is a little expensive, and a pain to service, but bikeplus gives good service.
No experience with swift but they look the business. Drapac (Australian pro conti team) rides them. If you want something unique the Bmc does seem like a nice choice, but I think if the boardman fits it would be the most value for money.

How about Scott plasma premium/2 or the cdale slice/slice rs? They are good frames, if abit older( except the newer rs).
If you can catch smiek from khcycle (the owner) who's usually around on Saturdays on a good day he may cut you a good deal on a plasma or a look. Id recommend you'd get a good quality fit if you're laying down that much coin for a bike tho, PM me if you need local recommendations.

In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd look at a Blue Triad SL.....very nice machine and crazy fast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hit up Brian on mybikeshop.com. He is one here all the time and I think he will ship internationally. brought a few things from him and has always worked out well. looks like he has a new trek frame as well.

https://www.mybikeshop.com/...2&product_id=381

Andy Mullen
Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Guys,

Didn't expect so many replies :) Some of the bikes you guys listed cost way more then the 4200USD eek.

Had a race today Trifactor SG and this gave me a chance to look at many of the listed bikes up close. I only started to Tri this year so give me a break haha. Today I felt kind of poor looking at some of the hardware.

So I used my Chiner MTB with 32T 1x10 setup and was way under geared but started picking off the weaker riders later in the race.
Garmin details below for those that care; results should be out sometime this week.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/516043443

Anyways here is what I found.
I like the clean looks of the Boardman but the bike does not look as aero as lets say a P3 which now looks like a very good option. I did not see Scott but I think that might be worth a look as well. Saw some older treks and a Argon. Kind of liked the Parlee or something like that but it looked like the lateral stiffness might be a issue with that bike. There were some Spec transitions any many other as you can imagine but not many with integrated headsets - and I thought those were all the rage these days.

Im going to try a few bikes in the coming weeks but let me know what to look for when out trying bikes. Any preference over Ultegra and Rotor? What catches appart from cheap wheels do they use these days?
Do I get a bike fit before buying a bike or can I just try and see what feels right and then get fitted?

Thanks

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bike fit first, number 1 priority!!

Just re: what you saw. The specialized transition is old hat and isnt even made anymore, you would be looking at a shiv from the same brand. The bike is ok, been around a while. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder with that one. Parlee would be plenty stiff, dont see too many around. P3 is the best option from what you mentioned.
As for ultegra vs rotor, dont worry too much. Both are good. Components can be upgraded should you want to, its the frame you want to look at first and foremost. AND you have to like the thing. P3 is a minimum ultegra so your good there.
Quote Reply
Re: So What Are My Options Now? Trek :( [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does this apply only to the US market? On the trek Canada website the 7.5 is $4,600 but the project one bike is $5,800. It seems to be the same configuration to me, and I can't get it any cheaper by changing anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
/Shiv

"I would definitely smell her seat after a century ride"
Rappstar wrote:
That might be the post of the year right there.
Quote Reply
Re: So What Are My Options Now? Trek :( [kingyyz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought mine in Canada but you have to be careful with some things, especially paint. The exact same bike via ProjectOne is the same price but it's hard to find that as the P1 bikes will have different paint usually.

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i just ordered a P1 Trek, the factory racing scheme with all the add ons (speed and draft box, duotap etc), 7.5 ultegra mech for $5400 Aus...., are you talking Di2 etc because 8500 US is ridiculous
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might also want to check out the Felt DA or B series bikes. pretty integrated and can be bought new within your price range.

Andy Mullen
Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The P2/P3 is a pretty sweet sled.
And other brake options include magura hydraulics. Or the eebrakes, if you prefer mechanical. Both of those brakesets get the cables going right down the front.

Pic of the eebrakes:

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: So What Are My Options Now? Trek :( [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry that 8500 is sgd but still redonkeyless if you ask me.The project one here has a crazy markup. A 105 p1 will cost more then a base ultegra bije with all elsebeing equal.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is the in thing these days for race wheels? Tri spoke or deep section for the front?I Will likely go for a flo or hed disc in the rear once all is said and done.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right now, at first year into tri, you dont need to splash crazy money on bike/wheels. Get the stock bike and training wheels. Dont get caught up with the money/equipment game. Lots of age groupers cant do justice to the expensive wheels they have, and they'd benefit by training more rather than buying more gear. When you're a year or two into the sport then maybe think about things like race wheels and a power meter.

Bike fit first, then get something that you like within your budget. A bike you actually want to ride is going to be worth way more than any stupid extra like an integrated front end or brake.

Think about it this way. When you're looking for a wife, we'd all like to marry Angelina Jolie or Emma Watson. But you want someone who's actually compatible with you(fit) and you like to spend time with. (like to ride). In any case small extras like an extra cup size or a cute dimple (extras like integrated front end) may be more trouble than they're worth, and should not be your primary consideration. Go for a bike fit before even narrowing down bikes. And it better be a good, proper fit (not some fifteen minute eyeball test) with a good fitter before plonking down such serious money on a bike
Quote Reply
Re: So What Are My Options Now? Trek :( [davidalone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks David.

Who would be a good fitter in sg? I know there was one that sponsored the metasprint series but I have no idea how reputable they are in the local market.

As for nice bikes and gear, I get why you are saying that but who can resist that nice shiny bike in the window.

looking at the splits on the garmin link how much do you think can be gained by swapping to a tri bike from a mtb? I have a bit of a cold but think I did pretty well while being severely under geared.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
have PM'ed you.
Quote Reply