Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

So I saw a Helmet save someone's life..
Quote | Reply
During the last day of our 4 day training camp we had a TTT race. It was pretty cold outside and after the swim everyone was a little shakey. The road was pretty crappy with lots of gravel and potholes, and 4 sharp turns (it was a square course).
On one of those turns I was positioned last out of 5, and the girl in the 3rd positioned swirved onto te gravel and her bike turned. She slammed into the ground and rolled twice, and then the person behind her ran her over with his wheel. I skidded and went into the bushes and didn't hit them.

They both got scratched up pretty badly (her more so), and the biggest part was that her helmet was broken in half. 2 inches from the middle the whole thing was hanging together by the straps. If she didn't have it on it would of been her head =/

I never liked helmets too much, but now I see they're so damn important.

Wear a helmet people!
Quote Reply
Re: So I saw a Helmet save someone's life.. [freestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear she survived the accident. Don't understand why people won't wear helmets. Some people won't wear them on motorcycles let alone bicycles. Pure foolishness.
Quote Reply
Re: So I saw a Helmet save someone's life.. [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
foolish indeed... but, as they say in the medical profession... motorcylces riders without helmets are referred to as "body part donors".

...the concept of natural selection takes it course.

Joe Moya
Quote Reply
Re: So I saw a Helmet save someone's life.. [freestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the early 70s, I rode all over Europe and much of the US without a helmet (I don't think I'd ever even seen one, let alone used one!) I got my first helmet in 1980 while in graduate school, and wore it occasionally. Truth is, I've never like to wear my helmet, and am still looking for one I consider comfortable. Now, however, I'm a fanatic, and won't even do a group ride with someone not wearing a helmet. I've made my kids wear them as well, even when they were sometimes ridiculed by friends at school.

Then about 18 months ago, out on a training ride, my wife went down just ahead of me. When I got to her (and for several minutes after I, and the rest of the cavalry, arrived) she was unconscious. Her helmet was completely shattered, and actually concave over the right temple. She suffered a fairly severe concussion, but I have NO DOUBT that she would not even have walked away from that crash had she been helmetless. We keep the helmet in the garage as a reminder of why we wear them.

Glad that girl is alright. Not wearing a helmet is just silly.
Last edited by: Lloyd: Apr 17, 03 8:56
Quote Reply