Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
So.....Schwalbe Pro One's or Conti GP 5000 TL tubeless tires?
Quote | Reply
Now that the Conti GP 5000 TL have been out for a bit.....for those that have used both the 5000 TL and Pro Ones - do you have a definite preference of one over the other?

Not looking for a Tubeless debate......I use and like tubeless, just looking for a comparison of these two tires from those that have actually used both. I have two wheelsets and have been using the Pro Ones on each for about a year now. I will need to replace a set of tires soon and trying to decide if I just stay with the Pro Ones or if it's worth it to switch (I had always used the Conti GP4000 before switching to tubeless and loved those tires...

Looks like the Pro Ones are now running about $120pr vs Conti @ ~$150....so $30 more......
Quote Reply
Re: So.....Schwalbe Pro One's or Conti GP 5000 TL tubeless tires? [MKirk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Conti all day long. Just a better tyre.
Quote Reply
Re: So.....Schwalbe Pro One's or Conti GP 5000 TL tubeless tires? [MKirk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swhalbe in the wet is not very good. Schwalbe on wet brick is completely unrideable. (for those navigating city streets with brick crosswalks).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've ridden the Pro 1s for years and just moved over to a pair of GP5ks (tubeless for both). I find the Pro 1s a touch more supple as well as cheaper.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IRC Roadlites are good too.
Quote Reply
Re: So.....Schwalbe Pro One's or Conti GP 5000 TL tubeless tires? [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:

obviously you've ridden both the 5000 and the pro one. i've got some pro ones on the way to me. i'll be riding them both myself. i'm wondering how you've arrived at your conclusion about these tubeless tire models.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Continental GP5000 TL tires are about $60 each.
Quote Reply
Re: So.....Schwalbe Pro One's or Conti GP 5000 TL tubeless tires? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
turdburgler wrote:

obviously you've ridden both the 5000 and the pro one. i've got some pro ones on the way to me. i'll be riding them both myself. i'm wondering how you've arrived at your conclusion about these tubeless tire models.

I have a stellar track record with Conti as well as with the 5000 TLs now. Better aero and rolling resistance, but more importantly I find they seem to grip better in the wet and seem to be more puncture resistant. Both the lady and I are on 5000 TLs for 1000s of kms before I just replaced my first set. No punctures.

Punctured (and sealed successfully) on fairly innocuous roads with the Schwalbes. Obviously that can happen anywhere. At any rate, I did not care for them in the wet and they don't roll as well.
Quote Reply
Re: So.....Schwalbe Pro One's or Conti GP 5000 TL tubeless tires? [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
Slowman wrote:
turdburgler wrote:

I have a stellar track record with Conti as well as with the 5000 TLs now. Better aero and rolling resistance, but more importantly I find they seem to grip better in the wet and seem to be more puncture resistant. Both the lady and I are on 5000 TLs for 1000s of kms before I just replaced my first set. No punctures.

Punctured (and sealed successfully) on fairly innocuous roads with the Schwalbes. Obviously that can happen anywhere. At any rate, I did not care for them in the wet and they don't roll as well.

thanks. i'm just surprised you had the time to put 1000s of kilometers on 5000s, as they're a pretty new tire, and you also had the opportunity to put meaningful time on the schwalbe pro ones.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: So.....Schwalbe Pro One's or Conti GP 5000 TL tubeless tires? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Again, myself and the lady are on them so plenty of k's on them.

Meaningful time on the Schwalbes is a no though. Wasn't happy with the puncture nor a back wheel slide out and so I bailed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
Again, myself and the lady are on them so plenty of k's on them.

Meaningful time on the Schwalbes is a no though. Wasn't happy with the puncture nor a back wheel slide out and so I bailed.

what wheels are you using for this?

we're going to start a new thread today, an evergreen thread just for road tubeless. you're on the leading edge of this. it's my view that road tubeless is where the market is going. i'll have my detractors, as i did when i pretty much staked out the position a few years ago that disc brakes were where the tri market was going.

we're starting the thread to help make it easier for our readers to make the switch intelligently.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Roval CLX 50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
been on Schwalbe last 6 or so months... and GP5000s the last month or so.. sometimes alternating since they are on different wheelsets. I think the schwalbe are a tad more supple and soak up bumps a little better (they are wider and taller at the same pressure) maybe it's the rims that make me feel that way too. Schwalbe on Enve 4.5AR and GP5000s on Roval CLX50.

Speed wise they are pretty equal.. nothing huge between them.. my times are slightly faster on the ProOne on climbs.. downhills I have been getting PR's with the 5000s.. ? who knows. I never really had an issue with ProOne's in the wet and obviously since it's summer have not had the 5000s in the wet yet. Both feel fine on the dry to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I switched from Pro One's to TL 5000s a couple of months ago. I like both and am not sure I can really tell the difference on the bike. My butt does not to seem to be as well calibrated as some. Will probably stick with the 5000s simply because conventional wisdom seems to indicate they might be a little faster.
Last edited by: Greatzaa: Jul 1, 19 10:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can only speak to the pro ones. Been running that in a 28 for about 3 months on my road bike. I love it. 0 issues so far. As far as a road tire goes this is my tire of choosing for the foreseeable future.
Quote Reply
Re: So.....Schwalbe Pro One's or Conti GP 5000 TL tubeless tires? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Continental GP5000 TL tires are about $60 each.

Where? (I only checked Biketiresdirect).....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting intel. In the past I rode quite a number of Pro Ones but also destroyed a couple of them (admittedly riding where they're not intended). Been really liking the Hutchinson Sector 28, which seems to be a skinny 28 (or more likely accurately measured) but of course that doesn't roll as well as 5000 or Pro One.

What's the internal of your Roval? What size tire are you riding, and how to they size on rim?
Quote Reply
Re: So.....Schwalbe Pro One's or Conti GP 5000 TL tubeless tires? [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I want to say internally they are 21mm and 25 GP5000s are measuring fairly true to size (being around 26mm).
Quote Reply
Re: So.....Schwalbe Pro One's or Conti GP 5000 TL tubeless tires? [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rovals are indeed about 21.. specifically 20.7
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After 3 years on Pro Ones, I switched to the 5000TL once the rolling resistance data was out. Prior to the 5000TL, I was an ardent Pro One evangelist. It's one big flaw - wet weather cornering - isn't much of an issue with me, as I live in SoCal and am super soft (i.e. never purposely ride in the rain). I can't say I notice much of a difference between them, though the Pro Ones have always been wide for their stated size and so a 23c Pro One is pretty close to a 25c 5000TL (the smallest 5000TL offered by Continental).

So TLDR, 4000SII was my "train/any race other than a TT" tire before the switch to tubeless, then Pro One with the switch to tubeless, but I think the 5000TL is the "Pro One killer" and now the best "train/any race other than a TT" tubeless tire.

Final note: 5000TL can't be used with hookless rims like Enve 4.5 ARs, so you will need to stick with something like a Pro One or Corsa TLR for hookless.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So.....Conti size wise.....

I have 2 sets of Reynolds Aero wheels which are 19mm internal and 28 external
The 25mm Pro Ones measure @ 28mm in these wheels. I could probably fit a true 29.....maybe a 30mm tire (could be tight).

Anyone measure a 28mm 5000TL on a 19mm internal rim? Staying close to the 28/29mm size?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Merlincycles.com has them for $62.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had the GP5K TLs on my TT bike since Nov and the Pro 1s on Road bike for about a year. don't ride too much in the rain (SoCal). find them to be pretty similar in terms of feel. hard to quantify speed since different bikes. But need a new set of road tires and going to switch to the GP5K since they feel more durable. have had multiple punctures recently on the Pro 1s. they sealed up ok but just feels like they are a bit more sensitive to that.
Quote Reply
Re: So.....Schwalbe Pro One's or Conti GP 5000 TL tubeless tires? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Merlincycles.com has them for $62.

Just ordered a pair from Chain Reactions. On sale and found a 10% off coupon so out the door shipped for $102.72, plus 1.5% cash back thru ebates/rakuten. I would have just price matched @ biketiresdirect, but they did not have any 28's in stock.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
in that case... i've been on road tubeless since feb 2016 and have not fixed a flat since then.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply

Prev Next