Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: So, why do we like tubulars? [GregX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WCP 12-Hour Tour DVD, interview with Gary Himlach. $60 (save $30, "what a bargain. That is a bargain for me." - E. Murphy)

http://www.worldcycling.com/...t=&Category_Code=
Quote Reply
Re: So, why do we like tubulars? [ajo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Rolling restance:
- The difference a user can feel, is that nice tubulars handles uneven surfaces (rough road) better than clinchers. This is due the construction, with individual differences (the best clinchers are better than cheap clinchers). This shock-damping directly improves the real rolling resistance, but are not handled by the standard rolling resistance tests done on completely even metal drums.
Tubulars do probably have better rolling restance in the real world then the tests indicates.

...and your evidence to support this opinion is where? I'm not talking anecdotal evidence, I'm talking empirical evidence.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: So, why do we like tubulars? [sticky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tape my TUFO S3's to my 808's...no good? ;)
Quote Reply
Re: So, why do we like tubulars? [lunchbox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
How often do you guys puncture in races anyway? I threw out my last set of tubs and my last set of clinchers due to wear, before puncturing either set.

This is one of those things I've wondered about as well. I've raced about 20 times, and never flatted. I've put in thousands of road miles over the past 7 years, and have only flatted about 15 times. In 2/3 of those, it was really due to me being a cheap ass, and trying to squeak another 100-200 miles out of some tires. Maybe I've beaten the odds, and will average out with 5 flats my next training ride... It all seems anecdotal to me.
I've wondered about this too. I've had about 3 flats in the last 15,000 miles. I've never pinch flatted, in my LIFE. The only time you could maybe call it a pinch flat is when I was crowded into rolling over a sewer grate by a car and taco'd the wheel. I don't really think that was the clincher's fault. Smile I did screw up installing a tube once when I went back to riding after a 5 year absence from the road...pinched the tube with the lever and thought I could get away with it.

Anyway, I race Pro2Race with Michelin latex on the front and Vittoria EVO CX with Michelin latex in the back. If weight really mattered you wouldn't see me riding an H3 and disc. I ride this because it is arguably the fastest combination I can race on.

For tubular fans, I can carry a spare tube, patch kit and 2 CO2 cartridges all tucked into a tiny pouch hidden behind my head tube. This weighs about 80g plus the CO2s (which you would need in either case). To be able to patch the equivalent flats in a race you'd need to carry 2 or more preglued tubulars (400g) and put them somewhere on the bike that is hardly aerodynamic...like those monstrosities I see on the back of people's seats. Or you can wing it like I saw one guy do at the GFT last year and flat at mile 60...and try to ride it all the way in like an idiot. With the weight "advantage" mostly negated by having to carry the spares, and the aero disadvantage of having crap strapped to your bike, and the Crr disadvantage of even the best tubulars, there's no point in really arguing. Wink

Regarding handling, there are some pretty crappy clinchers...Conti 3000 is harsh and the current Vredestein I have is pretty vague with no road feedback. There are also some pretty good clinchers, Pro2Race, EVO CX, Michelin Carbon, etc. I rode on a friend's tubular set with a pair of fairly expensive Vittorias...they felt pretty much the same as my race wheels.

Regarding Beloki's crash, here's the second best thing to being on his shoulder...the guy who was 2 feet behind him, you might know Armstrong:
"All the corners were melting and the tarmac was hot. Up until that corner it wasn't slippery but when he (Beloki) braked hard he locked up the back wheel and he couldn't control it ... then the back tyre rolled and exploded. In that case you're on the (wheel) rim and there's nothing you can do." The slide started with the tire on the wheel, but rolled off when he went from the goopy pavement to the grey high traction stuff. He might have saved it if the tire had stayed on the rim. Maybe not.

Mad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Even a 14 year old kid can tell you he prefers tubulars over clinchers for a race... unless he has to do the gluing ;)[/quote]
yes, pro's in europe have some choice, but my guess is that the access to the team car (and extra wheels) means the team must make the decision as a group, so who knows ?

and my problem is that i am the guy that has to do the gluing ! so i guess i am just like your son ...

... and then the person that does the gluing for this kid has to hand the wheels to his driver and/or his maid to get the old glue removed. I am not sure this "tire gluer" would let this kid him race in all but only on the most important races if he would have to take the old glue off himself ;)

I have to agree that clinchers are a great invention. It also seems that the performance diference is not that much anymore. I am still not sure that clinchers are the best choice for the most important races.

Sergio

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: English is not my first language. Please read this translated post considering that.

Quote Reply
Re: So, why do we like tubulars? [Sergio Escutia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well, you folks in mexico have a good life. because here, i am the maid and cook and dishwasher and driver and computer tech and mechanic and coach and racer.

"if you want it done right, sometimes ya just gotta do it yourself ... "

(ps. your son's performances are amazing, but when are we going to hear accounts of you doing some tri racing?)

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

(ps. your son's performances are amazing, but when are we going to hear accounts of you doing some tri racing?)

As soon as the eyas leaves the nest ;) That means pretty soon. But then... I still have to see if Paulo is willing to coach me. :)

Sergio

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: English is not my first language. Please read this translated post considering that.

Quote Reply
Re: So, why do we like tubulars? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply][reply]
Rolling restance:
- The difference a user can feel, is that nice tubulars handles uneven surfaces (rough road) better than clinchers. This is due the construction, with individual differences (the best clinchers are better than cheap clinchers). This shock-damping directly improves the real rolling resistance, but are not handled by the standard rolling resistance tests done on completely even metal drums.
Tubulars do probably have better rolling restance in the real world then the tests indicates.[/reply]

...and your evidence to support this opinion is where? I'm not talking anecdotal evidence, I'm talking empirical evidence.[/reply]

I have not any evidence, just pointing out differences between the real world and the tests I have seen; differences that might influence the value of the tests.

If you know a bit of tire construction and physics, there is no doubth that the round tubular construction (where almost the entire tire flexes and dampen road shock) is much better than the clincher, where a smaller part (from one side of the rim to the other) flexes. That's probably the reason why manifacturers making both clinchers and tubulars makes the clinchers 1-2 mm wider. (23mm is the "standard" for clinchers, 21-22 for tubulars.)
Last edited by: ajo: Aug 16, 07 9:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Rolling restance:
Tubulars do probably have better rolling restance in the real world then the tests indicates.

...and your evidence to support this opinion is where? I'm not talking anecdotal evidence, I'm talking empirical evidence.

I have not any evidence, just pointing out differences between the real world and the tests I have seen; differences that might influence the value of the tests.

If you know a bit of tire construction and physics, there is no doubth that the round tubular construction (where almost the entire tire flexes and dampen road shock) is much better than the clincher, where a smaller part (from one side of the rim to the other) flexes. That's probably the reason why manifacturers making both clinchers and tubulars makes the clinchers 1-2 mm wider. (23mm is the "standard" for clinchers, 21-22 for tubulars.)

OK...just so I have this straight, but your opinion expressed above is solely based on conjecture, right? ...and, I might add, a misunderstanding of the "tire construction and physics" of the situation.

Got it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
all interesting.

but does it occur to you that perhaps these same qualities (which you describe) that appear to give tubulars a better road 'feel' than that of clinchers may also be the same ones that give clinchers the better (lower) rolling resistance numbers than that of tubulars?

(not a fact, just an opinion about a possibility)

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
[reply][reply]
Rolling restance:
Tubulars do probably have better rolling restance in the real world then the tests indicates.[/reply]

...and your evidence to support this opinion is where? I'm not talking anecdotal evidence, I'm talking empirical evidence.[/reply]

Okay, so you have no evidence whatsoever that tubulars are better other than your intuition and flawed description of why a tubular flexes better. You've ignored the high hysteresis losses in the glue among other things. And did you know that the best rolling tire out there is the VeloFlex Record clincher...which just happens to be 20mm wide? Or that the Pro2Race 20 and 23mm both measure nearly identical? Sorta shoots a giant hole in that theory...

Hey I just had a random thought...I wonder why my car tires are clinchers and not tubulars? Wink

Mad
Quote Reply
Re: So, why do we like tubulars? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Just curious ..... where is all this empircal data that shows clinchers are faster than tubies?? Never seen it (doesn't mean it doesn't exist, just never seen it). And what was the protocol for the testing? Real world, lab, multiple tires/tube/wheel combinations??

You must be kidding...
No, I'm serious, I wasn't trying to be a smart azz (like others), I just wanted some sort of link so I can read up on it ..... I've honestly never seen anything legitimate on the topic. Education is key.

Re: So, why do we like tubulars? [Daremo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Just curious ..... where is all this empircal data that shows clinchers are faster than tubies?? Never seen it (doesn't mean it doesn't exist, just never seen it). And what was the protocol for the testing? Real world, lab, multiple tires/tube/wheel combinations??

You must be kidding...
No, I'm serious, I wasn't trying to be a smart azz (like others), I just wanted some sort of link so I can read up on it ..... I've honestly never seen anything legitimate on the topic. Education is key.

The reason I said this is that a simple search of just this site's forum alone will get you more info than you'll know what to do with...add in a simple Google search and you'll be "drinking from a firehose" ;-)

I think it's still listed on the Slowtwitch front page, but here's a start for you with some links to actual test data at the bottom:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...tr/wheels_tires.html

That may not answer all your questions (yet), but there's still 2 more articles to go in the series :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Here's Al's roller tests, which are a pretty complete summary of lots of different tires:
http://www.biketechreview.com/tires/AFM_tire_crr.htm

There's also the Continental clincher/tubular drum tests that were published a while back:
http://www.rouesartisanales.com/article-1503651.html

Note that Continental's tests show the best tubular to be the VeloFlex Carbon at 34.05/34.74W with most tubulars in the 40+ range...and the best clincher at 26.4W with most in the mid 30s. Even the lowly Michelin Carbon clincher training tire is just as good as the best tubular...

Mad
Quote Reply
Re: So, why do we like tubulars? [triguy42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I'll read up on the topic more .........

But I'm not going out and buying another set of 999's just because the clincher is supposed to offer less rolling resistence than my tubies (I think my 23.4 mph avg. at Eagleman was decent for having only ridden 700 miles this year at that point - don't think it would have gained me much more time) ..... ;-P

Re: So, why do we like tubulars? [Ti T'war] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been riding sewup since early 80's. Back then, you rode clinchers for training, sewup for racing.
I still like the ride of the sewup. However I hate to perform the required maintenance work.
Clincher performance and ride characteristic is getting very close to sewup. I'm no longer wanted to deal to sewup anymore.
Yes, I'm going to miss the feels of the sewup ride.

BTW, I'm selling my Lew's carbon tubular wheelset. spec: 38mm depth rim. Full carbon tubular rim. 700c.
Personally custom hand laid-up by Paul Lew himself. So it's a custom Lew's. I think it's 20/24. AC hubset.
weight around 1200g or under (bare). shimano spline. PM me if interested. Local SF bay area sales prefered.
Quote Reply
Re: So, why do we like tubulars? [Kwantani] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of the big reasons for running tubulars is that you can safely run much lower tyre pressures without pinch flatting. It doesn't matter that much for tri's which aren't typically run on ridiculously bad pavement and require you to take corners at 30 mph in the rain. If you always run your tyres at 110 - 120 psi, use clinchers. If you have a need to use lower pressures than that, then tubulars become a better and better option.

For tri's and TT's - clinchers
for road racing, and especially crits - tubulars.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: So, why do we like tubulars? [Sergio Escutia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"unless he has to do the gluing ;)

Sergio"

it is all about the glue sniff sniff ;+)
i would rather mount tubbies any day sniff sniff aaaahhhhhhh the high

dirt

Slowtwitch bitchist place on planet earth
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironically the faster you go the less Crr matters proportionally, since Crr goes up linearly and aero drag goes up by ^3. At 20mph a change in Crr from 0.004 to 0.005 is about 20.0 vs 20.44mph for a very aero person (2.2%, 96secs on 40k). At 33mph (TdF TT speeds) the same difference is 33.0 vs 33.28mph (0.8%, 22 secs on 40k). Still important, but the faster you go the more important the aero part is.

Mad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Here's Al's roller tests, which are a pretty complete summary of lots of different tires:

There's also the Continental clincher/tubular drum tests that were published a while back:

Note that Continental's tests show the best tubular to be the VeloFlex Carbon at 34.05/34.74W with most tubulars in the 40+ range...and the best clincher at 26.4W with most in the mid 30s. Even the lowly Michelin Carbon clincher training tire is just as good as the best tubular...

I know this has been covered in another thread but the test at Bike Tech Review is flawed. A single tire pressure was used for all the test and not the recommended pressure stated by the manufacturer. I already posted the differences with the Zipp tires and how Zipp recommends different tire pressures, but I found some Vredestein literature and it stated how it had the best rolling resistance as I recall at about 145 psi which is far different from the 120 psi used in the test. Bike Tech Review use of 120 psi was arbitary.

In all fairness, until the test is rerun at Bike Tech Review at the manufacturer's recommended pressure, Bike Tech Review cannot be used as a guide to say which tire has the best rolling resistance.

From their website: With a casing technology that permits a 145psi recommended pressure for lower rolling resistance and unsurpassed cornering consistency.

So once again, how is the test done on Bike Tech Review accurate or contain any useful information?

Pasadena Tri Club
Last edited by: vtrader: Aug 16, 07 13:47
Quote Reply
Re: So, why do we like tubulars? [vtrader] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would you expect some tires to demonstrate better rr as pressure increased and other tires to demonstrate worse rr as pressure increased, such that a tire that was better at low pressure would be worse at higher pressure?

Have you seen graphs of rr v. pressure for various tires?

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I know this has been covered in another thread but the test at Bike Tech Review is flawed.

Correction...you stated this opinion in another thread. That doesn't make it true.

In Reply To:
A single tire pressure was used for all the test and not the recommended pressure stated by the manufacturer. I already posted the differences with the Zipp tires and how Zipp recommends different tire pressures, but I found some Vredestein literature and it stated how it had the best rolling resistance as I recall at about 135 psi which is far different from the 120 psi used in the test. Bike Tech Review use of 120 psi was arbitary.

...and as it was attempted to be explained to you by multiple people, your logic is flawed. A simple perusal of rolling resistance vs. pressure plots will reveal why this is so. Choosing a single reasonable pressure to use is the most efficient way of comparing a large number of tires in a consistent manner.

In Reply To:
In all fairness, until the test is rerun at Bike Tech Review at the manufacturer's recommended pressure, Bike Tech Review cannot be used as a guide to say which tire has the best rolling resistance.

In all fairness, your illogical bias against Al's testing is blinding you from the utility of the information.

Hmmm...Do you work for Tufo by any chance? ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply][reply]
[reply]
[/reply]
No, I'm serious, I wasn't trying to be a smart azz (like others), I just wanted some sort of link so I can read up on it ..... I've honestly never seen anything legitimate on the topic. Education is key.[/reply]

Note that Continental's tests show the best tubular to be the VeloFlex Carbon at 34.05/34.74W with most tubulars in the 40+ range...and the best clincher at 26.4W with most in the mid 30s. Even the lowly Michelin Carbon clincher training tire is just as good as the best tubular...[/reply]

These (and other tests I have seen) shows which tire that rolls best on smooth metal drums.

All IM's I know of, have quite different surfaces, where other tires (and other pressures) are more optimal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
From their website: With a casing technology that permits a 145psi recommended pressure for lower rolling resistance and unsurpassed cornering consistency.

Really? You're basing your opinion on a vague statement like that?

Lower than what?
Unsurpassed cornering consistency??

Hmmm...looks to me like the "recommended tire pressure" is actually a range of 8-12 bar (i.e 118-176 psi) for their top of the line clincher (Fortezza Tricomp):

http://www.vredestein.com/...erSessionID=36701167

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

These (and other tests I have seen) shows which tire that rolls best on smooth metal drums.

All IM's I know of, have quite different surfaces, where other tires (and other pressures) are more optimal.

Please explain by what physical mechanism a tire that has poorer rolling resistance than another tire on a smooth surface will somehow have better rolling resistance (in comparison) on a rougher surface?

The standard test method for tires in the transportation industry uses a smooth drum. There's a reason for that.

Quote Reply

Prev Next