Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Snowflake Classic, virtual, holiday, multisport challenge. Positively your last chance to race in 2004.
Quote | Reply
Ok, Here's the holiday race, same format as the Turkeyman. You do the race, record your own times, TIME STOPS DURING TRANSITIONS, you have max one hour for each transition. This allows you to drive home from the pool or whatever. Race does not start until christmas morning, I must have all entries by the end of 2004, any entries recieved after 2004 will not be accepted. I have decided no age groups this time just men/womens. Please register on this thread (or complain/comment) I will open a results thread on Christmas Morning. There will be a third race catagory however, see below:

Tri: 500m swim, 20k bike, 5k run.

Du: 5k run, 20k bike, 5k run.

Ski: 10k ski, 20k bike, 5k run.

Skiing is crosscountry, NOT DOWNHILL, skiers may stride or skate. We just don't have enough people to diffrentiate.

The rules:

Easy to enter: No entry required except posting your times by the cut off.

No entry fee: thats right absolutly free (beat that IMNA)

Awards: Awards will be given out in each division going 3 deep. Rewards will consist of bragging rights only, given the cost of entry that seems fair.

The rules: (note anyone caught breaking the rules will be banished to the lavendar room with Hottie thread privileges revoked)

1) Have fun.

2) Race may be completed anytime between 12am 12/25/04 and 11:59pm 12/31/04, in other words anytime between Christmas Morning and New Years Eve.

3) Race must be completed as one continious event except as noted below.

4) Swim leg, 500m please keep accurate track of your laps, I suggest having someone count for you or using some device to record laps. immediately after you complete 500m STOP YOUR WATCH you have one hour to begin your bike leg. This allows you to go home and ride on the trainer, or outside if possible. Note if you stop or get out of the pool during this portion the clock keeps running.

5) Duathletes, you will also have 1 hour after the first 5k, this probably isn't necessary but it keeps thing even.

6) The bike, 20k, try to be as accurate as possible. If using a trainer you may set the tension as light as you like but the wheel must touch the tension device. remember that your computer will not register if the magnet is on the front wheel. If you stop or get off the bike the clock keeps running. When you hit 20k STOP YOUR WATCH. You have one hour to get to your run location.

7) The run, 5k, either treadmill or outside. try to be as accurate as possible. I am using a certified 5k course in my town for this. When you are done STOP YOUR WATCH. This will be you total time. I will open a seperate thread to be used to post times only, use this thread for comments. That way I don't have to wade through the comments to get everyones times. If you have your splits post them, if not overall time is fine include age, gender, and wether you did the tri or du or ski.

7.5) The ski. I thought 10k sounded like a fun doable distance, any one have a comment on this let me know.

8) Transition times should not be included in any way. Basically everyone has a 1hr t1 and t2.

9) drafting on the bike will not be tolerated, drafters will be forced to handwrite the powercranks vs. rotor cranks thread in it's entirety.

10) above all see rule #1

So who's up for a race?

Obiligatory idiot proofing:

The above bears no responsibility in any way shape or form for any injuring to person or property suffered during this event. Triathlon is a dangerous sport, any risk of injury or death is solely the resposibility of the participant. Slowtwitch .com is in no way affiliated with this production.
Jim

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Last edited by: Jim: Dec 21, 04 5:43
Quote Reply
Re: Snowflake Classic, virtual, holiday, multisport challenge. Positively your last chance to race in 2004. [Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Helloooo........Damn, is everyone still at that party?

Jim

Quote Reply
Re: Snowflake Classic, virtual, holiday, multisport challenge. Positively your last chance to race in 2004. [Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim, I organize an training event called Winterman in Ottawa, that consists of a 10K run followed by a 50K ski on Dec 31st. Now I will need to ride the rollers for 20K when I get home to qualify for the Snowflake Classic.

Here is the invite that I posted on a local tri/multisport forum. If anyone is in the area you are welcome to join us:

--------------------------------------------

Dec 31st is only a couple of weeks away, and its time to get geared up for the Annual Winterman Event. This is a free training endurance challenge consisting of a 10K run followed by a ski that can range anywhere from 10 to 50K depending on what you chose to do (and what the conditions are like). There is no timing, and no aid stations. Its just a celebration of the end of the year and the start of a New Year.

RUN 10K (START TIME 7:30 AM, P8)

We start from P8 in Gatineau Parc at 7:30 am and run 10K (5K out and back to Notch Road, turning around just past the overpass). The run tends to be a group event, until a few folks turn on the afterburners and simulate an Olympic 5000m road race back to P8. No need to worry, run it in at your own pace as the ski starts at 8:30 am, so you'll still have time to cruise in and get your skis on.

For those who are injured or have not been running, you can replace the 10K run with a 10K classic ski, that will be graciously lead by James Young

XC SKI 10-50K (START TIME 8:30 AM, P8)

After the run, we put on our XC skis and will head up trail 1 (up Penguin) to the Firetower. You can skate or go classic. You can chose to turn around when you have had enough. On the return, those wanting to do the full 50K will take the Champlain and Gatineau Parkway back to P8. Those content with 40K can stay on trail 1.

In a nutshell:

· Location: P8 Gatineau Parc, Hull Quebec, Canada (http://www.canadascapital.gc.ca/gatineau/index_e.asp)

· Time: 7:30 am Sharp

· Distance: 10K road Run followed by 50K XC ski

· Cost: Zero if you have a Gatineau Parc season pass, otherwise pay the $7 trail user fee

· Level of Physical Difficulty: 9/10 (see XCzone definitions)

· Level of Technical Difficulty: 4/10 (see XCzone definitions)

· Grooming: Whatever the NCC provides on that day

· Timing: none unless Marc Roy and his sportstats crew show up :-)

· Aid Station: None...as they say in the army, "one man, one kit"

· · No Awards: Just a pat on the back

· Post Event Lunch: Let's hook up at Isobel and Jerry's after we are done

Quote Reply
Re: Snowflake Classic, virtual, holiday, multisport challenge. Positively your last chance to race in 2004. [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another winter multisport outing- strap your XC skis to the top tube of your bike- bike to ski trails-ski- bike back. Used to do this in Montana out of neccesity since I didn't have a car.
Quote Reply
Re: Snowflake Classic, virtual, holiday, multisport challenge. Positively your last chance to race in 2004. [nickc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bump

Jim

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim,

I'm in (tri). Looking forward to seeing if my swim has improved any since Turkeyman.

Thanks for running this!

Merry Christmas!

- TwinDad

--------------------
Yes, I too now have a Blog. Don't laugh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in for the tri (have pool access now). Based on my Turkeyman results, I can't wait to kick my own ass next Tuesday morning.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Jim

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mother Nature is going to make this event a little tougher than the Turkeyman. There is only one sunny day next week with a hihg of 26*; the other days are just above freezing but cloudy or worse.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Jim - you'll have to host one of these races other than around the holidays sometime. I'm always out of town visiting relatives during the holidays and don't have access to a pool or a bike. I've love to participate in the middle of January or February, so if you feel like organizing another one this winter, I'm in.

D.
Quote Reply
Re: Snowflake Classic, virtual, holiday, multisport challenge. Positively your last chance to race in 2004. [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
maybe Jim will do a valentines day race? Right Jim...

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Re: Snowflake Classic, virtual, holiday, multisport challenge. Positively your last chance to race in 2004. [Erik Clark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Valentines is possible, how about a couples format? 2 peoples combined times.

Jim

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ok I'm having bad vibes for this race, even though some people went so far as to pm me for this race. I will have a Feb race for all the naysayers.

Why? because it is my birthday, I will be 4 decades old. Goals for forty.....get my 4th degree blackbelt, do an iron distance tri, break 20min for a 5k. I actually think number three is the hard one. My PB as of last year is 22:00 (actual race time) I didnt even run a 5k this year.

Jim

Quote Reply