Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Snitch or not to snitch?
Quote | Reply
Local Sheriff is seeking info for a cyclist who damaged concrete for $2000 damage. It’s a rural area and few cyclists and took me about 2 minutes to find a group of 4 cyclists on Strava who were on a gravel ride and crossed that intersection on the evening in question. Also, the shared photo appears to show a Speedplay or similar clip in the print left in the wet concrete.
The cyclist has given us all a bad name (you can imagine how the comment section is going on the sheriff’s Facebook post looking for information) so I’m torn whether I point them to Strava or not since I don’t have any direct info but odds are fairly high it would be one of this group given how remote this spot is.
Last edited by: wjoiner: Jun 16, 23 21:15
Quote Reply
Re: Snitch or not to snitch? [wjoiner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will you get a reward? Haha!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks more like a SPD cleat (in a MTB shoe) to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree. Mountain bike riders. Rat them out
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$2,000 in damage?

Did it dry so they have to rip it all up and repour it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Post a comment on their strava activity with a link to the damages and tell them you trust they'll do the right thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Snitch or not to snitch? [Slowrunner711] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowrunner711 wrote:
Agree. Mountain bike riders. Rat them out

No way. MTBers are cool. Roadies riding gravel, like the OP said.
Quote Reply
Re: Snitch or not to snitch? [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lurker4 wrote:
Post a comment on their strava activity with a link to the damages and tell them you trust they'll do the right thing.

This.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how about turn a negative into a positive. start a go fund me page, raise $2,000 (or more), present it to the city on behalf of cyclists who're ashamed of what one of their own did. and call the local paper once you have the money raised. share the link here. i'm happy to contribute.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Snitch or not to snitch? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
how about turn a negative into a positive. start a go fund me page, raise $2,000 (or more), present it to the city on behalf of cyclists who're ashamed of what one of their own did. and call the local paper once you have the money raised. share the link here. i'm happy to contribute.

This is a good idea.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Snitch or not to snitch? [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattyK wrote:
Looks more like a SPD cleat (in a MTB shoe) to me.

MTB treads in the tire tracks, too, maybe?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Last edited by: RandMart: Jun 17, 23 7:50
Quote Reply
Re: Snitch or not to snitch? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How could you differentiate between mtb and aggressive gravel treads these days?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

Not sure if I agree this is a positive idea. Bunch of irresponsible cyclists do deliberate damage that will cost taxpayers money and will inevitably reflect bad on everyone in the cycling community. And then the OP, will go and do the work to fix the bad apples blunder without any of them having to even own their mistake?

I would call them out on Strava and say, hey..do the right thing, otherwise we will report this.
Quote Reply
Re: Snitch or not to snitch? [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Engner66 wrote:
Slowman wrote:

Not sure if I agree this is a positive idea. Bunch of irresponsible cyclists do deliberate damage that will cost taxpayers money and will inevitably reflect bad on everyone in the cycling community. And then the OP, will go and do the work to fix the bad apples blunder without any of them having to even own their mistake?

I would call them out on Strava and say, hey..do the right thing, otherwise we will report this.

to me, optics trumps justice in this case. the audience i'm most interested in - in the context of this kind of thing - are non-cyclists. they agree to pay (or not pay) for bike lanes, bike paths, etc., and to create a cycling-friendly environment. they do or don't vote to pass defensible space laws (minimum distance between cyclists and cars). they also do or don't try to run me over with their cars, depending on mood. nobody needs to convince (most) europeans that cyclists are friends and not enemies. it's not that way in the U.S., but perhaps it could be.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was it with intent to damage,or lost cyclist just getting on the road cause daylight is fading away?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about doing both? Start the GFM page and turn them in. Some justice will occur and some good will for the “good” cyclists will occur.

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Re: Snitch or not to snitch? [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M----n wrote:
How could you differentiate between mtb and aggressive gravel treads these days?

Honestly, I can't; that's why I posted "maybe?"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only crime here is a $2000 price tag. 100% esthetics, 0% functional risk. In two years all that cement will be cracked with tar used to patch it up. You shouldn't feel the need to snitch unless there was a crime committed. Your efforts would be to shame someone, which will make you feel better about yourself vs actually solving a real problem. Would you snitch on your neighbor's 5 year old child who wrote, "I love my dad" in the cement?
Quote Reply
Re: Snitch or not to snitch? [Jimbotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a good point, too

Do a few footprints and a tire track really affect the performance of the road? I highly doubt it

And who's gonna notice as they drive or walk by?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Engner66 wrote:
Slowman wrote:

Why not both - start the go-fund me, and send the link to the cyclists in question suggesting that they consider a sizeable contribution to the effort considering wink wink nudge nudge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jimbotri wrote:
The only crime here is a $2000 price tag. 100% esthetics, 0% functional risk. In two years all that cement will be cracked with tar used to patch it up. You shouldn't feel the need to snitch unless there was a crime committed. Your efforts would be to shame someone, which will make you feel better about yourself vs actually solving a real problem. Would you snitch on your neighbor's 5 year old child who wrote, "I love my dad" in the cement?

The crime here would be vandalism.

And, no, a 5-year-old doing something is very different than (possibly) four adults.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jimbotri wrote:

The sheriff’s post was seeking help in identifying the individual, so I assume they feel there is a crime as minor as the charge may be.
Quote Reply
Re: Snitch or not to snitch? [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lurker4 wrote:

UPDATE - this is what I did (without accusing, just making aware) - posted a comment on one of the group riders who crossed that section. He quickly deleted and messaged me an hour or so later by other means. He thanked me for letting him know about the sheriff’s post and said it wasn’t his group but knew who it was. He contacted the individual and claims they have already identified themselves to the authorities. He’s a good guy so trust him at his word.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Engner66 wrote:
Slowman wrote:

to me, optics trumps justice in this case. the audience i'm most interested in - in the context of this kind of thing - are non-cyclists. they agree to pay (or not pay) for bike lanes, bike paths, etc., and to create a cycling-friendly environment. they do or don't vote to pass defensible space laws (minimum distance between cyclists and cars). they also do or don't try to run me over with their cars, depending on mood. nobody needs to convince (most) europeans that cyclists are friends and not enemies. it's not that way in the U.S., but perhaps it could be.

I like the idea of a Gofundme for the optics, but I’m too cynical I guess. I feel those who are negative on cyclists aren’t going to change their minds because we raised some money. Plus, reaching out via Strava got the individual to identify themselves to the authorities.
Quote Reply
Re: Snitch or not to snitch? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
The crime here would be vandalism

I'm pretty sure that to be charged with vandalism (also falls under criminal mischief in some states) malicious intent had to be proved

"Oh shit! That was cement and it was still wet" would be a reasonable defense

I'm no lawyer, of course, but my daughter works for one - I could ask?

Quote Reply

Prev Next