Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Snapping sound from seatpost on my FELT DA
Quote | Reply
I've been getting these annoying "snap" sounds coming from my seatpost whenever I'm seated and pedalling. I've cleaned and greased everything I can think of, tightened everything, even took my minoura off the back and cleaned and greased the bolts in that. I have an Arione (non-tri) saddle and checked the rails for cracks pretty thoroughly as well.

Help? Is there something I missed?
Quote Reply
Re: Snapping sound from seatpost on my FELT DA [tripoet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to own a DA 700 and had the same occurrence of noise coming from the seatpost. The solution I came up with was to extract the seatpost and wrap it with teflon tape below the instertion level. This stopped the noise and I did not have any problems afterwards.
Quote Reply
Re: Snapping sound from seatpost on my FELT DA [raysr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Raysr.

Two questions:

1) Can you recommend a type of teflon tape?

2) You thinly wrapped the entire submerged part of the post, down to the very bottom, right?

Damn I hope this works, it's driving me nuts on long rides.
Quote Reply
Re: Snapping sound from seatpost on my FELT DA [tripoet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tripoet,

Any white teflon tape you can pick up at any Home Depot or like hardware store will work. When wrapping, stretch the tape so it does go on thin but not too thin. Yes, it goes on the inserted section. Some tape will come up but, it is easily trimmed. It worked fine for me when I had my DA. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Snapping sound from seatpost on my FELT DA [raysr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a B2 that I use as a training bike. I had the same trouble at first with a Thompson Aluminun post. I am assuming you are using aluminum. I used a heavy grease and that would solve the problem, for a short period. I then shortened the post so that I did not have 9 inches of it inside the seat post. This helped even more. I also had a 27.2 carbon post laying around, I degreased everything, stuck it in, no more problems. Carbon is quiet! My race bike is an original Cervelo P2 and it take a funny sized post. I sure wish I could find a Carbon one for it, its like 25.2 mm. I had to buy a nashbar 25.4mm post and take .2mm off as the original 25mm post slipped as well as the Thompson one that I wasted $80 on.
Quote Reply