Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Smoker in office
Quote | Reply
I share a relatively small office (10' x 25') with a chain smoker. There's no nice way to put it - he stinks. The office has poor ventilation. I've tried an air-filter, a fan at the door, taking frequent walks out into the cube farm, etc. I'm at my end. It's obvious he's not going to quit killing himself or move from the office. The smoke clinging to him continues gives me headaches. Any suggestions on how to deal with this problem?

R2DM

Relax2dmax

"Just remember there is only 2 letters difference between STUD and STUPID." Heard on the course of the 1998 Lost Boys Ultramarathon
Quote Reply
Re: Smoker in office [relax2dmax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you talked to your boss about it?

Wilfried Heinle

Artificial Intelligence can never beat natural stupidity.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can relate to you also.... For me, its smelling him and the stench coming from the 'Safety-Kleen' tank at the same time. They both make my eyes water.

I'd say try to re-position your cube area some way, but 10x25 is small.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jihad against this devil.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Smoker in office [WHeinle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Talked to the boss. He said, that sucks, I'll take your office. I'm just about willing to let him have it and give up the window view.

R2DM

Relax2dmax

"Just remember there is only 2 letters difference between STUD and STUPID." Heard on the course of the 1998 Lost Boys Ultramarathon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ouch, that's a tuff decision. Maybe a clothes pin would work :D

Wilfried Heinle

Artificial Intelligence can never beat natural stupidity.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Smoker in office [Klep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does the guy actually smoke in the office or does he go outside for smoke breaks?

If he goes outside and is a chainsmoker then it might be worth pointing out to your boss the amount of productivity lost.

The other thing is, that if your boss is willing to take your office, why don't you suggest that he takes the smoker's office. That way you'll get to keep your window seat.

Yurtie
Quote Reply
Re: Smoker in office [Yurtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ack! He's hacking away right now. I often have people ask me during disrupted telephone conversations "is he is o.k.?"

He goes outside for smoke breaks. I never thought about the old 'have the boss usurp his office location' ploy. Excellent. I'm also bringing a can of Lysol to spray the room (him, actually but I'll say I'm spraying the room).

R2DM

Relax2dmax

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Dave, Maybe you should give him your Degree Team uniform to wear. Isn't that stuff supposed to eliminate body order?

Gary Mc
Team Stinky Reject

Gary Mc
Did I mention I did Kona
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In NY you can''t smoke inside any public builing. You could move :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
C4? :-)

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
"Jim, I happen to agree with you" DougStern
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you want one of us to kill him, just come out and say it. A little extra cash could put Tibbs over the top for his P3. Two birds with one stone!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought this was about a hot chick...

Hit him with Febreeze, every time you see him. Even if it don't work, you'll feel better.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stop showering and wear your dirty, sweaty training clothes to work...
Quote Reply
Re: Smoker in office [LarryCalifornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
can't you sue him for "murder attempt"? ;-)
that he kills himself is fine...his choice, but that he tries to take you and others with him, that sucks...

was back in France for 1 month in June and man did I hate to breath all this sh.t everywhere!
Quote Reply
Re: Smoker in office [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definately a different attitude towards smoking in France. We even see it in Quebec as they have the highest % of smokers in Canada.

Just read an article that second hand smoke is 40% as dangerous as actually smoking yourself. In much of Ontario it's now become illegal to smoke in public places, including pubs and restaurants.

At one time several years I used to go out to a favorite bar to listen to a really good in house blues band once a week. Always smelled like an ashtray the next morning. It's great that smoking is now banned. Just wish that band and bar were still around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stop being so selfish. He's not allowed to smoke in the office so he goes outside to smoke, right? Or is he blowing that shit in your face? Depending on where you're at, he may not even be allowed to smoke in a bar......give the poor fool a break.

**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mate, just fart, and fart a lot. As you find his smell offensive, why not you create a smell as equally as offensive. I find protein powder generates some beaut odours.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are women who wear perfume which is as offensive as cigarette smoke. There are other people out there who just plain stink......and not from cigarettes. I have a friend who rides in a vanpool with a woman who has horrific body odor, supposedly the woman showers, it's just that she gives off this 'scent'. What are the 'odor police' going to do about these people?

**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suggest changing your username as a first step, you are OBVIOUSLY not relaxed. After that, swapping offices is your best, most truly American response. You have the freedom to switch offices, he has the freedom to smell the way he chooses. For crying out loud, the guy isn't smoking in your face. How would you deal with an ugly female who had a perfume you were allergic to? How about if she was hot? You'd put up with it if she were hot, and that would be far from honest compared to complaining about the ugly one.

In the US we are supposed to have the freedom to do as we choose so long as we're not harming another human. Smelling bad to another is not harming them. Learn to actually relax a bit, even though I agree smoking people stink like limburger cheese, that guy has a right to smell as he pleases.

I would swap offices with your boss. Your boss sounds like a good guy - he gives his employees the better offices and is willing to trade with you. I would NOT suggest he trade with Mr. Stinky as then you'd have to sit very close to your boss.

Find something real to complain about in your life. You have a job. You have your health, and apparently enough disposable income to be a triathlete. Go find a cancer recovery group therapy program and stay for a meeting or two then go back and complain about stinky smoking guy. Even better - take him with you, let him see what he's in for.

--------------
Elivis needs boats.
Quote Reply
Re: Smoker in office [mojozenmaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>There are women who wear perfume which is as offensive as cigarette smoke. There are other people out there who just plain stink......and not from cigarettes. I have a friend who rides in a vanpool with a woman who has horrific body odor, supposedly the woman showers, it's just that she gives off this 'scent'. What are the 'odor police' going to do about these people?<<

Actually........EEOC Administrative Decision
- Fragrance Illness Accommodation -
Roberts v. U.S. DOT

Complainant alleged in her complaint and affidavit that she suffers from a condition called Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MCS) which was triggered in 1983 when she was exposed to paint fumes in the work environment. Complainant averred that when she is exposed to fragrances such as perfumes, she becomes ill by contracting respiratory infections, which require her to go on sick leave and take prescription medications.

Failure to Accommodate

An agency is required to make reasonable accommodations to the known physical and mental limitations of qualified individuals with disabilities unless it can demonstrate that doing so would impose an undue hardship upon its operations.

You can read the entire decision here:

http://users.lmi.net/~wilworks/ehnhompg/eroberts.htm

As for stinky people.....the Human Resources Dept. should have a discrete chat with them. And in relax2dmax's case, he should also bring this up with HR, in writing.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Last edited by: ironclm: Aug 12, 04 6:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Go to HR. Tell them your situation is "making me sick and I am having real trouble concentrating on my work. I don't feel very productive and can think of nothing else than trying to get through the day without vomiting. Can you reccomend a doctor who knows about second-hand smoke/smell?"

>>>>>>>>>>>Exactly let HR do your dirty (or cleaning in this case) work. If he stinks, then everyone else feels the same way. Basically, this guy is hazard to the work environment and is a disruption. Don't move your office just yet, but you will have to be patient. It might take making noise at least 2 times before something happens (because, let's face it, nobody wants to have to confront this guy, it's an uncomfortable thing to do). But, when it does, your problem will be solved. good luck and down with smokers! kitty
Quote Reply

Prev Next