Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Smart trainers, worth it?
Quote | Reply
Wife is using my trainer more and more so is time to get another one, I have a kinetic road machine which I plan on letting her keep, I have been considering getting a smart trainer for some time, is it worth it?. The added benefit that appeals the most to me is the controlled resistance to interact with the virtual courses and workouts, I think it may make the time on the trainer less boring.
Quote Reply
Re: Smart trainers, worth it? [Art M.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
only you can decide if it s worthy.

if you already have a powermeter, it wont bring anything new to your training? If you like zwift like many of my age group or pro, changing gear on a dumb trainer work very well to simulate course changes as you ride.

as a coach, i dont really recommend them to someone with a powermeter. but i have nothing against them if you want something new and more toys!

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Smart trainers are different to just having a powermeter and I prefer TrainerRoad with the smart trainer controlling power.

I upgraded a Kurt Kinetic RnR with a Smart Control unit, mainly so I could have my powermeter on my road bike and set my tri bike up on the trainer full time. I'm very pleased with the setup, although I would have like ANT+ from the KK Smart Control unit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Smart trainers are a motivation tool. That's it. If you are already training properly and with a power meter, nothing will change. Frankly, I think they have more potential to interfere with proper training for those I coach, than they do to enhance it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I debated this for the past 2 years, and finally before Christmas bought a Kickr Snap in a 20% off sale (used the link on DC Rainmaker's site). I had already been using Trainerroad with a dumb trainer, and I started a new Trainerroad plan after getting the Kickr. I do find increased motivation with the smart trainer, and it is mentally easier for me to get through the workouts when I just have to focus on pedaling and not on watching if I'm in the right power zone. I'm 10 weeks into training with it and the extra motivation hasn't worn off yet, plus it feels great to nail the workouts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the big thing it depends on is if you can afford it or if the extra money you’d save from smart to dumb would be better used elsewhere.

If it’s not a big deal then go smart if it could be better used to dumb.

I’ve been rolling with a dumb trainer and powermeter for years and have been fine. I’ve thought about buying a smart trainer but I can always find something else to use that money for that would benefit me more.

But that’s me. If you need the trainer to control your motivation then a smart trainer might be worth it.

I ride/Race on Zwift all the time with no issues if that’s a concern of yours.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd invest in a power meter before I'd invest in a smart trainer.
And if I had a power meter, I'd see very little need to spend $700+ more on a smart trainer compared to a solid fluid trainer that carries a lifetime warranty. I know some people swear by ERG mode...but I don't care for it.

But if money were not a concern, sure, I'd go with a smart trainer over a fluid dumb trainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have both power meter(s) and smart trainer.... love EGR mode on trainer road. Couldn't go back to dumb trainer.

Jeff

You can't fix stupid ..
Quote Reply
Re: Smart trainers, worth it? [Toothless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toothless wrote:
I debated this for the past 2 years, and finally before Christmas bought a Kickr Snap in a 20% off sale (used the link on DC Rainmaker's site). I had already been using Trainerroad with a dumb trainer, and I started a new Trainerroad plan after getting the Kickr. I do find increased motivation with the smart trainer, and it is mentally easier for me to get through the workouts when I just have to focus on pedaling and not on watching if I'm in the right power zone. I'm 10 weeks into training with it and the extra motivation hasn't worn off yet, plus it feels great to nail the workouts.

^WHS.

It's way more fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tacx Neo

Next to power meter I bought 8 years ago, single best training tool I have ever bought.
Quote Reply
Re: Smart trainers, worth it? [RCCo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Besides a bike, it's the best tool I've bought for training. I feel like my indoor workouts are so much more productive. I use it with Zwift and Trainerroad to change things up. Wahoo sometimes does 0% financing which makes it much more bearable to pay for (free money and small payments over a year).
Last edited by: rdros: Jan 17, 18 5:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mostly ditto everyone else, but here is some elaboration.
  1. If you do not have a power meter, get one of those first. A PM with a dumb trainer is better than a smart trainer and no PM.
  2. Smart trainers can improve your workout quality. A lot. With a dumb trainer, you must focus to maintain your prescribed power targets for the intervals. I found that I would often lag when tired with my dumb trainer. On a smart trainer, you will maintain your power targets, or the machine will destroy you.
  3. Smart trainers gamify training. They make it fun, with programs like Zwift or The Sufferfest.
  4. Smart trainers let you check out and watch TV or a movie without having to concentrate specifically on the effort at hand. It is like an out-of-body training experience. You just have to show up, and the trainer and program take care of the rest.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the simplicity of a dumb trainer if u have a PM.

No power matching to worry about.
Less stuff to break and not work.
I have no problem matching power and watching tv.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a Wahoo KICKR and use with Zwift.

For me, absolutely 100% worth the investment, easily one of the best sports-related purchases I've ever made.

- Direct drive is really good
- ERG mode, fantastic for power-based workouts
- Resistance (terrain) feedback very clever

Combined with Zwift (I mostly use their pre-set custom workout / plans, but combined with a weekly group workout and some 'just ride' stuff on the varied terrain), I actually WANT to ride my bike.

Overall, I don't find it makes trainer time 'less boring' - as yet, I don't find it boring at all. As I'm in the UK, right now, I have no desire to ride outside!

Only you can decide if it's 'worth it', but for me (and I'm just Joe Average that wants to stay fit, train with his wife and do a few TT's and Tri's, not going to be contending for any podiums anywhere, but wants to get better), it has been a great purchase.
Quote Reply
Re: Smart trainers, worth it? [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KingMidas wrote:

I have a couple of wheelsets with G2 powermeters and a Cyclops Hammer. What is the power matching you speak of? :) Seriously, I still do workouts where a powermeter and a dumb trainer would be fine, but I love having the option of riding video routes with the smart trainer changing resistance with the elevation profile. I'm riding routes all around the world and doing a lot more climbing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm loving my new smart trainer. So much more motivation to get on the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been kicking tires on getting a smart trainer as well. Did all the research on them and laid out the costs of a smart trainer vs. A dumb trainer with power meter and other accessories to make it Zwift compatible. Direct drive was considerably higher in price but I found a deal through Zwift. CycleOps Magnus with ant+ dongle, USB extension and a year membership to Zwift for $630 USD. Seemed like the best deal I could find given our exchange rate at the moment. It makes getting on the bike in the winter a lot easier. Training for spring races is hard but having the smart trainer with Zwift makes it fun. That’s my opinion. If you have the money to spend on it. Do it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed, plus...
Materially better ride quality on a fluid trainer in my opinion (and I usually don’t notice minor differences in Ride quality, tire width etc) and the fact that you must stay mentally sharp I think is a good thing because you won’t be able to relay on that trainer to target your watts outside.
Quote Reply
Re: Smart trainers, worth it? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone else struggle on .95+ IF rides in ERG? I love a smart trainer for long / steady power sessions but still prefer the dumb trainer for Sufferfest rides.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The smart trainers are a better option if you are entrenched in racing on zwift and want the best possible immersive simulation. The Erg mode allows for importing of pre planned workouts and you simply pedal and don't have to "think". This is incredibly valuable for apps like trainerroad. Now with that being said if you already own a power meter then they don't actually add anything new other than Erg mode and virtual ride simulation. I personally think they are worth the investment and they make indoor training more enjoyable and subsequently often more effective.

They do have downsides, the biggest being lag in high intensity intervals, the electronic brake often has to catch up making intervals under 1 minute difficult. This can be evidenced in Zwift as well where you hit and hill and the trainer does not adjust the slope for a few seconds. Accuracy of the trainers is often very good assuming you follow spin down protocol and update firmware (Elite drivo does not need a spin down calibration). My version 3 Kickr is regularly within 1-2% of my quarq.
Quote Reply
Re: Smart trainers, worth it? [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
power meters first, then if you have the money, sure knock yourself out- especially if you love Zwift
Quote Reply
Re: Smart trainers, worth it? [elf6c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
100% agree. I should have added that, always a power meter first. I think my other favorite part about the smart trainer is the ability to do long endurance rides and multitask. This last weekend i set up a workout for 4 x 60' 210w, 10 rest between intervals and then watched football games and got some work done. Never once thought about the pacing or holding my pace. Ended up with exactly 4 hours in zone 2 and no wasted time.
Last edited by: Ron_Burgundy: Jan 17, 18 10:11
Quote Reply
Re: Smart trainers, worth it? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
KingMidas wrote:

I have a couple of wheelsets with G2 powermeters and a Cyclops Hammer. What is the power matching you speak of? :) Seriously, I still do workouts where a powermeter and a dumb trainer would be fine, but I love having the option of riding video routes with the smart trainer changing resistance with the elevation profile. I'm riding routes all around the world and doing a lot more climbing.

Right. I don’t zwift. Maybe that’s why I don’t see benefit. I just do TR.
powermatch is discrepancy between my power meter and the smart trainer. They are never perfectly aligned. Even a 5-10W difference is a huge difference when doing 20min at 90%.
Quote Reply
Re: Smart trainers, worth it? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the replies, I already have a power meter on the bike, which is what I have been using so far with my dumb trainer. Riding outside during the weekdays is out of the question and the trainer gets to be tedious some times, so I'm looking for something to make more entertaining and engaging
Kinetic is having a 20% off sale on their smart control trainers, would you consider this a good option?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KingMidas wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
KingMidas wrote:

Right. I don’t zwift. Maybe that’s why I don’t see benefit. I just do TR. powermatch is discrepancy between my power meter and the smart trainer. They are never perfectly aligned. Even a 5-10W difference is a huge difference when doing 20min at 90%.

I was being facetious. You cannot powermatch with a G2 powertap and wheel-off smart trainer like a Hammer or Kickr.
Quote Reply

Prev Next