Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Small Rider Bike Fit Question - Hold and Upgrade or Buy New
Quote | Reply
Good people of Slowtwich,

I am a little over five feet tall with a 28 inch inseam. No, I am not a jockey. I am currently riding a size 45 Cervelo P5-6 with Dura Ace mechanical shifting, and 650c Zipp carbon clinchers. I have not been looking for a new bike because, rightly or wrongly, I believe someone my size should be riding 650c. But the bike industry has other thoughts... Let me also preface my comments/questions by acknowldging that my P5 is not holding me back. However, I do feel left behind by advancements in frame design, wheel, and tire choices. Here are my questions. Will I compromise my fit by buying a new frame with 700c wheels? Is my P5-6 no longer that good of a bike because of the advancements in frame design? Or, should hold onto my existing bike until I run out of tires and look to make some upgrades (i.e., TriRig Alpha, Di2, etc.)?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.
Quote Reply
Re: Small Rider Bike Fit Question - Hold and Upgrade or Buy New [JFTGreene] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would suggest sticking with the bike that you have.

What is your crank arm length?
Quote Reply
Re: Small Rider Bike Fit Question - Hold and Upgrade or Buy New [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you. My cranks are 162.5.
Quote Reply
Re: Small Rider Bike Fit Question - Hold and Upgrade or Buy New [JFTGreene] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm your size. I used 145mm cranks-was able to spin better plus able to get into a more aero position. I did have Di2 installed-loved it as I could just shift quickly to a more reasonable gear.
I wonder what all those small Asian people ride?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There haven't been any meaningful advancements in frame design from your bike. Bars have become a lot better than the Aduro if you still have that on your bike. Ultegra 12s Di2 and some nice bars would be a good refresh.
If you do want to look at a new bike so that you don't get orphaned with no good tyre options we'd need to know your position measurements.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 5 foot 3 inches and still ride my 650C tri and road bikes. Now i mostly do time trials and not triathlon

I bought a 48cm Felt IA and I'm slower on it than i am on my 48cm DA and 45cm P2.

I went back to my DA.
Quote Reply
Re: Small Rider Bike Fit Question - Hold and Upgrade or Buy New [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Small Rider Bike Fit Question - Hold and Upgrade or Buy New [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you! I appreciate your feedback. I do have the original Aduro bars.
Quote Reply
Re: Small Rider Bike Fit Question - Hold and Upgrade or Buy New [frenchfried] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for your response.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JFTGreene wrote:
Good people of Slowtwich,

I am a little over five feet tall with a 28 inch inseam. No, I am not a jockey. I am currently riding a size 45 Cervelo P5-6 with Dura Ace mechanical shifting, and 650c Zipp carbon clinchers. I have not been looking for a new bike because, rightly or wrongly, I believe someone my size should be riding 650c. But the bike industry has other thoughts... Let me also preface my comments/questions by acknowldging that my P5 is not holding me back. However, I do feel left behind by advancements in frame design, wheel, and tire choices. Here are my questions. Will I compromise my fit by buying a new frame with 700c wheels? Is my P5-6 no longer that good of a bike because of the advancements in frame design? Or, should hold onto my existing bike until I run out of tires and look to make some upgrades (i.e., TriRig Alpha, Di2, etc.)?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Last-gen 45cm P3 rider here. IMO you won't find a more advanced frame than what you already have.

Premier Tactical still sells 650c 25mm wheels, which might be wider than your Zipps: https://www.premierbike.com/...front-wheel-clincher

Tires will always be an issue. Good recommendations here: https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...650%20tires#p7904223
Quote Reply
Re: Small Rider Bike Fit Question - Hold and Upgrade or Buy New [geetee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you very much!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should be using 150mm or shorter cranks.
Quote Reply
Re: Small Rider Bike Fit Question - Hold and Upgrade or Buy New [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks again! I am going try shorter cranks. I wanted a power meter when I bought my bike and the shortest crankset available from Quarq was a 162.5.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep your present bike. Wait for some NOS 571mm GP4000's to pop up on ebay and slam them on the Zipp's, then save them for race day; you might also consider a disc cover (EZ Gains is quite good) on the rear. Pick a used 650c wheelset (they also pop up on ebay from time to time) and fit it with cheap tires for training rides. If you are training often on a direct drive trainer, tires will last for years. Good luck
Last edited by: jollyroger88: Jul 28, 23 5:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can fit a quarq spider into a Cobb crankset all the way down to the 145mm length. At your height and riding aerobars, I have put riders shorter still. 135-145mm is probably a good range for you to maximize your aero while not losing any power.

Great bike though. You should maybe keep it.

I have had marginally more success fitting shorter riders to current bikes in recent years, even as most 650 bikes have gone bye-bye again.
Quote Reply
Re: Small Rider Bike Fit Question - Hold and Upgrade or Buy New [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jollyroger88 wrote:
Keep your present bike. Wait for some NOS 571mm GP4000's to pop up on ebay and slam them on the Zipp's, then save them for race day; you might also consider a disc cover (EZ Gains is quite good) on the rear. Pick a used 650c wheelset (they also pop up on ebay from time to time) and fit it with cheap tires for training rides. If you are training often on a direct drive trainer, tires will last for years. Good luck

These tires for training:
https://www.bike24.com/p2195115.html

These tires for racing:
https://www.bike24.com/p2361383.html

I buy from this store in Germany very often.

Delivery to the US is about 10 business days and it's 20 euros shipping total even if you buy several tires (I normally but 8 at a time) with no VAT tax.

The 162.5mm crank is fine, you don't need to go out and find something smaller. If you're buying a new bike then sure, try out something smaller but unless you are super low you won't need it.
Last edited by: jaretj: Jul 28, 23 15:46
Quote Reply
Re: Small Rider Bike Fit Question - Hold and Upgrade or Buy New [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Small Rider Bike Fit Question - Hold and Upgrade or Buy New [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Small Rider Bike Fit Question - Hold and Upgrade or Buy New [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a hair under 5 feet with a 27 inch inseam and very short arms relative to my torso length. Having tried a number of bikes, I think the Cervelo 45cm bikes are the best fit someone our size. I have tried "XS" small bikes with 700c wheels. I get toe overlap.

Keep the bike. Stock up on 650c tires. Keep an eye out for used HED 650c tri-spokes. They are great for training and basically indestructible. I don't know if Renn Multisport is still in business, but Frank Rehnelt builds a great 650c disc that worksd beautifully with the Cervelos.

Good luck!

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: Small Rider Bike Fit Question - Hold and Upgrade or Buy New [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! That seems to be the consensus. Based on the great feedback I received, I am planning on making some upgrades, but will hang onto my frame as long as I can. I appreciate your response.

Thank you,

Todd
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've recently upgraded my 2012 P5 to a 2013

162.5mm cranks are short for my proportions. The 11spd parts were a stopgap while waiting for 12s shifters.
With good modern bars and careful selection of parts I strongly doubt you'll find anything faster

Similarly my 2014 S5 - a few carbon touchups and a repaint to keep it going. At the point now where if any of my frames break I'll just get them repaired and keep going, refresh the parts once in a while. Unless the bike industry has some significant changes in design approach there isn't a lot to be gained even for someone that isn't constrained by wheel size.
My sister in law is the same height as you so her P3 45 and RS xs will probably be the only bikes she has for the rest of her life given the abandonment of 650c.
Quote Reply
Re: Small Rider Bike Fit Question - Hold and Upgrade or Buy New [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a 650C trispoke clincher that I haven't used in years.
Quote Reply
Re: Small Rider Bike Fit Question - Hold and Upgrade or Buy New [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What bar/extension combo is that?
Quote Reply
Re: Small Rider Bike Fit Question - Hold and Upgrade or Buy New [geetee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
geetee wrote:
What bar/extension combo is that?

Bar is the Profile Design Wing Ultimate, which isn't available yet. This is the only rideable example (I'm in charge of product design at PD).
Armrests are the PD Race+
Extensions are PD 43ASC-400mm
There will be a 43ASC-340mm available shortly for riders like the OP that can't fit the long ones
Quote Reply

Prev Next