Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Slowtwitcher on XC Skis: Who is on Snow ???
Quote | Reply
Oh man, I had a totally awesome 2 hour 30K XC ski this morning before work. Sun was rising in the background with the light coming through the trees with newly fallen snow all over them. The trail was perfectly groomed and after 2 weeks of solid training (I took 6 weeks off after the tri season), I was ready to hammer.

This is what I live for ! It was almost as nice as being at the summit of the Col de Galibier with the sun setting this past summer. Training at sunrise and being one with nature makes getting out of bed worth it. Totally awesome.

Any of you guys in the Sierras, Vermont, Alaska, Idaho and Montana on snow ? Who is coming out for the Lake Placid 50K skate race and for the Keskinanda Worldloppet 50K (I was skiing some of those trails this morning) ?

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitcher on XC Skis: Who is on Snow ??? [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crap, I'm so jealous. The GF and I just got new skate skis this fall, and we're dying for some freakin snow down here so we can use them. All it does is hover just above 0C and rain. Our ski country got about 10cm late last week, and then it rained all weekend and washed it all away. What a waste. Oh to live somewhere that actually gets seasons!

Enjoy it...and send some white fluffy dreams our way!

Ian MacLean
http://www.imfit.ca
Success comes when fear of failure goes
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitcher on XC Skis: Who is on Snow ??? [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went up yesterday morning. I'm still learning, so it's infinitely frustrating. But you can't beat the beauty of the high mountains in winter.
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitcher on XC Skis: Who is on Snow ??? [jhendric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just got back from the first Super Tour races in West Yellowstone. Skied 10 days, twice a day most (the first 7 days trained 22 hours!). 15KM classic race and 1.5K sprints too. Now back to NE and on the rollerskis again. I think VT has some snow (mostly man made) so I will do something this weekend. As for LP or the Keski not sure. I will do National Masters, the Birkie and few other select marathons that the team (Alpina/Madshus) wants me to attend. Otherwise, the local NE race scene. Btw, if i do the Keski, I will do 25K classic then 50K skate back to back.

kurt@cycle-smart.com

http://www.pbmcoaching.com
USA Triathlon Level 3 Elite Coach
USA Cycling Level 1 Elite Coach

Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitcher on XC Skis: Who is on Snow ??? [trukweaz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well guys, it was hovering around freezing for the past three weeks. Sunny days as expected were below zero, but cloudy days with precipitation were above zero. Finally we got lucky yesterday. I was mainly running, doing weights and roller skiiing the past 14 days.

Kurt, I'll do the Keski 50K skate and perhaps enter the sprints on the Friday. If you are itching for snow, you can always drive up to Ottawa (~ 7 hours from Boston Area). We are supposed to get more snow this weekend.

With the arrival of snow, all good intentions to ramp running mileage in prep for Boston this spring are sliding out the window...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No snow in VT yet. Very jealous. Can't wait to skate!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn. That's impressive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We've already had "ski-able" snow twice in Michigan this year, including eight inches of perfect powder on Thanksgiving morning. Looks like it is going to be a good year for XC. I just bought skis a couple of years ago, but we have had crappy winters so I haven't gotten out much. I'm hoping to work on it this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like a great forecast for XC skiing for us over the next four days: 5 Day Forecast from Environment Canada

Thursday Thursday night Friday Saturday Sunday Monday A mix of sun and cloud Periods of snow Periods of snow Periods of snow Chance of flurries Risk of freezing rain Low -7°C Low -4°C Low -4°C Low -2°C High -5°C High -7°C High 3°C High 3°C High 0°C POP 40 % These icons are a summary. See complete text below

Text Forecast[/url] from Environment Canada
Ottawa North (Kanata - Orleans): Issued 11.00 AM EST Thursday 2 December 2004
Today .. A mix of sun and cloud. Temperature falling to minus 5 this afternoon.
Tonight .. Cloudy. Periods of snow beginning overnight. Amount 2 cm. Low minus 7.
Friday .. Periods of snow ending in the afternoon then clearing. Amount 2 to 5 cm. Temperature steady near minus 7.
Saturday .. Periods of snow. Low minus 4. High plus 3.
Sunday .. Cloudy. 40 percent chance of flurries. Low minus 4. High plus 3.
Monday .. Snow. Risk of freezing rain. Low minus 2. High zero.

Normals for the period .. Low minus 7. High zero.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev,

don't rub it in. Just about to head out for a rollerski. They are saying snow for tomorrow maybe.

kurt@cycle-smart.com

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was trying to bait you into driving up to ski in the Gatineau Park this weekend :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You must live in Canada if you have snow already!! How's your igloo and dogsled? :)

No snow in Toronto yet, but my kids are just *dying* for some.

D.
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitcher on XC Skis: Who is on Snow ??? [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dawn, they have been on snow in the Sierras for three weeks now :-).

Yes I am in Canada and my igloo is well equipped with a Vasa swim trainer, treadmill, weights, and Tacx ergo trainer. Unfortuntately, the endless pool has not been installed, as the water might freeze and certainly the cost would result in a deep freeze in spending on all future tri toys for 5 years. Much cheaper to just ski :-).

Fortunately, my son has not asked for a dog for a while now :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have been skiing in Leadville since the middle of October around the lake.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Paul

Web site for race info. tughillskiclub.

Dirt

Slowtwitch bitchist place on planet earth
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No snow in the North Cascades. Here I sit with 200km of groomed trails out the door, new classic skis, waxed skate skis, running snowshoes and NO SNOW! It has been cold, 14 this am, but clear. Hopefully, we may get some this weekend. Otherwise, it is more CT and Treadmill time.

"It is never too late to fix your childhood!" Tom Robbins

Dean Wilson
http://www.anaerobiczone.com
Bicycle Protection Indoors & Out
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitcher on XC Skis: Who is on Snow ??? [isbr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We've had snow but I'm in a damn valley/heat sink it melts 2 hours after it hits the ground.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitcher on XC Skis: Who is on Snow ??? [confused] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leadville does not count. You guys have snow, but no oxygen !!!
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitcher on XC Skis: Who is on Snow ??? [Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FYI, the last day in West Yellowstone was -20F when I headed out for my final ski. Classic ski, no glide but plenty of kick!

Today, 47F skate rollerski. 90mins total with 60mins no poles. It sucked.

Kurt@cycle-smart.com

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was able to get out for a couple hours on Thanksgiving and the day after on my local golf course. Pretty nice skiing for SE Mich in November. Got warm and has mostly melted now ;( I'm hoping northern MI will have some snow soon, especially since the racing will begin in less than a month.

Anyone in Michigan looking for something to do this winter check out the Mich Cup Racing Series at www.nordicskiracer.com
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitcher on XC Skis: Who is on Snow ??? [dirtball!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dirtball, that would have been a perfect event, but it is the same day as the local Winterlude tri. You can read about last year's race here:

http://www.xtri.com/article.asp?id=1125
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in N. WI and we got about 6 inches overnight/this morning! I've been on snow for about a week (hallelujah, no more rollerskiing) and am heading to Michigan tomorrow for some good skiing. I would love to make it to the Lake Placid Loppet some year.....the idea of traveling to other large marathon races outside of my region would be great. Good luck this year.

-Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitcher on XC Skis: Who is on Snow ??? [matti58] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LPL is without a doubt the hardest skate marathon in the US. Craftsbury is the hardest classic, and they often fall on back to back weekends. I miss them both this year with the National masters in the Twin Cities.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Altitude can be a killer when xc skiing. I remember trying to xc ski at Donner Pass XC center near Tahoe a few years ago at 10,000 feet. It felt like I was skiing with a 1/4 of one lung operational. 5k felt like 10K. Brutal!

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitcher on XC Skis: Who is on Snow ??? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went riding today: in sleeveless jersey, sockless.

It is almost 80 degrees here in the middle of the day. I know it should be winter, but there isn't one here.

God bless the State of Florida.

Gotta go enjoy the weather.

http://www.Felipe-Bastos.com
--------------------------------------------
Blog: felipebastos.blogspot.com
Facebook: facebook.com/felipebastos
Twitter: @felipebastos1
Quote Reply

Prev Next