Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Slowtwitch getting Bad Press
Quote | Reply
Looks like this board is getting some bad press over on Gordo's forum.

Be careful what you say....they're watching.

http://www.coachgordo.com/...x.php?showtopic=2714
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch getting Bad Press [Brian286] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I like Gordo's forum and I like the atmosphere there too. These are just two different boards and I am sure this forum does many times the visitors and traffic so it isn't as intimate. Interesting that the thread there has also taken a turn and is no longer really about the original post:)

If you get angry about anything posted here it is time to step away from the computer for a while, self included :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's unfortunate what people say/write, particularly when other people are involved in the commentary. People that they don't know or don't seem to care about. It's also dispointing that these people are anonymous and we have no idea who they are. It's the best/worst thing about the internet, quite frankly.

This is just my personal view - others are are free to have their own as it's, thankfully a free soceity we live in, but I would never say anything here that I would not say in public in front of the person that the thread was addressing or say in open public.

Stephen Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't know that was necessarily "bad press", just some people whining about not being able to accept opposing point of views. Or complaining about a "thread hijacking". (I mean, come on, how many conversations do you have amongst your friends that don't end up going in a myriad of directions? How many times have you said "now, what we talking about in the first place?")

Argue either viewpoint, but the fact is that if any of us had an acquaintance in a similar situation (pregnant, still married and the father not being the husband--not yet anyway), while there might be some congratulatory wishes....there would still be some talk about "the situation". It's human nature.

It's not necessarily a "conservative" or "liberal" thing, it's just a thing. And it's a natural extension of the original posting "Lori is pregnant..." At some point, it will, because of the situation, raise an eyebrow or two.

But as with most---if not all---topics on this, or any Internet forum, it's nothing to get frothy at the mouth about.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well deserved bad press, mind you. The self-righteous jackasses on this board tend to get a little carried away from time to time.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Casey [ In reply to ]
Re: Slowtwitch getting Bad Press [jhendric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like their thread will go slightly ascue(sp?) also :)

Chris

Chris
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
― Hunter S. Thompson,
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch getting Bad Press [jhendric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow....harsh words.

Uncalled for and not very appropriate.

On another note, the gordo board is getting testy with the subject.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Last edited by: jhc: Mar 10, 05 13:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hrrmm... I'm the guy who first mentioned Slowtwitch on that thread. I didn't mean to open a can of worms. I simply wanted to warm the original poster that the Lori Bowden thread here got a little bit out of control. Nobody can deny that :-).

I strongly suspect that people behave better on Gordo's forum because when you are there, you kind of feel like you are a guest in someone else's house (and you behave accordingly). This place is more like a bar, where people let their own agendas get the better of them.

This forum is great. Gordo's forum is great. Trinewbies is great. You just gotta learn how to separate the wheat from the chaff at each site.

-Mark Rebuck, http://www.markrebuck.com/
Last edited by: MarkRebuck: Mar 10, 05 13:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perhaps, but true.
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch getting Bad Press [Casey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It appears that thread is degenerating as well. Proof it's the topic, not the forum. Quite a controversial topic and it sure stirs lots of passion.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch getting Bad Press [jhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's self-righteous? I don't give a shit one way or the other if someone's married to, gonna get married to, or is just contemplating cohabitating with the other person participating in the impending pregnancy, but I also don't give a shit if someone else doesn't like the tenor of the discussion, especially when the discussion itself was brought on by the very public announcement of the pregnancy.

I think there's enough self-righteousness going on in BOTH forums over this issue. And what's with a dude (or dude-ette, as the case may be) who's PROUD of looking like an amphibian alien, huh? ;-)

Tony
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I happen to really like the "Romper Room meets happy hour" spirit to this forum.
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch getting Bad Press [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leave it to Tony to cut to the chase and tell us whats really on his mind.

He uses big words and bloviates alot, but you know where he stands....just don't stand too close....
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch getting Bad Press [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
It's also dispointing that these people are anonymous and we have no idea who they are. It's the best/worst thing about the internet, quite frankly.

On a personal level, I've never see the benefit to anonymity. I've only seen negative effects. Way back in 1989, when I first starting posting on internet newsgroups, I used a username that had been created automatically. It took me a while to realise that I was saying stuff online that I would NEVER say in person. So I decided to never be anonymous. I use my real name every time I post something, and I pretend that I'm saying it face to face, to a real live person. Keeps me civil :-).

-Mark Rebuck, http://www.markrebuck.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch getting Bad Press [MarkRebuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I strongly suspect that people behave better on Gordo's forum because when you are there, you kind of feel like you are a guest in someone else's house (and you behave accordingly). This place is more like a bar, where people let there own agendas get the better of them.

Great analogy. Tom, of course, is Clif Claven.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plus, they're stealing our jokes ...

"The gentleman in question works for Ironman wetsuits, his name is Kevin Simmons. Don't know if he's related to Gene of KISS in case any one asks."

Did you notice the allusion to the P-word ...???

"Fortunately there's always this forum to find a peaceful asylum."

... followed by a direct slam ...

"Yeah... peaceful tribe... my a**!"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch getting Bad Press [MarkRebuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Too true, Mark.

As you can see the most of the most hyperbolic comments on this thread are being made by anonymous posters. That is off course with the exception of The Big Kahuna, but then again he is the Big Kahuna and has a reputation to live up to!

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Too bad his site just augered in...

Brett

"Du or Du not-there is no Tri" - Yoda
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch getting Bad Press [MojojojoMasterG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Quote:
I strongly suspect that people behave better on Gordo's forum because when you are there, you kind of feel like you are a guest in someone else's house (and you behave accordingly). This place is more like a bar, where people let there own agendas get the better of them.

Great analogy. Tom, of course, is Clif Claven.
Now that is a fairly nasty thing to say about Tom. ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch getting Bad Press [Mike C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
...pregnant, still married and the father not being the husband...
She isn't "still" married.
Last edited by: cray: Mar 10, 05 13:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He uses big words and bloviates alot, but you know where he stands....just don't stand too close....

Hey, I use big words to compensate for my shortcomings in, uh, other areas.

And I ALWAYS say "excuse me" when I bloviate :-)

Tony
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch getting Bad Press [5280] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting that the thread there has also taken a turn and is no longer really about the original post:)

Yes, and interesting that there's already a threat of censorship (from a party probably not qualified to enforce it) tossed into the mix already.

Me, I like it here, where grown-ups pretty much have to speak for themselves.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch getting Bad Press [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like it here, too. Gordo's place is a "flame free" forum. I think it is much better to be challenged when you're guilty (as I occasionally am :)) of talking shit.
Quote Reply

Prev Next