Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Slowtwitch SoCal Hill Climb roll call
Quote | Reply
ok, the event is on for Saturday the 24th, up Mt. Baldy.

Who all is going to be there? It's not going to be all fast people, so don't be intimidated, all abilities are welcome. I know Rich posted a good review of the course earlier, but I think he had part of it wrong. Any chance of a new review Rich or Jay?

Ride starts at 7:30 sharp!

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch SoCal Hill Climb roll call [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am in, only one thing is that I am on call. I may have to cut out during the ride or get a late start. I sure hope this heat lets up a bit, it was 90 on my run this morning at 8am.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah ... I guess I should. Unless my Crest ride gets un-cancelled, I'll see you all there.

Dre'

-----------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's about a 7-8 mile ride from Encanto to GMR(Glendora Mountain Rd.). Lots of rollers. Just after the turn on GMR, there will be a water fountain for refueling, the last place to do so for the next 1:30 to 2:30, depending on your pace.

This opening section is quite steep. It's actually the w/u before you get to GMR proper. We'll probably have to get off the bikes and go over the barrier at the top of that stretch as the road is almost always closed to motor vehicle traffic. There's a sign welcoming you to the park and the next ~8 miles is the course for the uphill TT stage of PVSR. It's always fun to time yourself up this one(27 and 32 minute records for men and women). It's steady 6-7% grades for the most part. 3/4 of the way up there is a short descent before the final part of the ascent. Any time under 40 is smokin'. When we go as a group in the course of normal training(not hammering), times are usually bt. 42 and 55. At the top there is a nice stone wall to sit on and wait for other riders.

After a very short descent, we'll turn on GRR(Glendora Ridge Rd).

The next couple of sections are as Rich described: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...guest=1607749#155009

This is the easiest stretch of the route but there is definitely more climbing than descending. I convinced some guys to continue on this stretch w/ me once and they were quite upset with me for describing this section as rolling. Ok, so it rolls uphill ;) This section usually takes me about an hour. It descends into Baldy Village where there is water and a little cafe.

Rich has done the last stretch more than I have. Read his description. The last part is steep. If you plan on going all the way up to the lifts please bring at least a 25. Your knees will thank you.

We usually come back a different way, traveling all the way down Baldy rd to Baseline and taking that and Route 66 home. I thought maybe we should come back via the same route this time. It will make the ride a bit tougher as there will also be climbing on the return trip on GRR. There would also be far less traffic this way and the GMR descent is a blast!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in.

Mike

TheBikeRacer.com
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch SoCal Hill Climb roll call [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I and my 27-12 are in.

Rich Strauss
Endurance Nation Ironman 2013 and 2014 World Champion TriClub, Div I
Create a FREE 7-day trial membership
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch SoCal Hill Climb roll call [Rich Strauss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm looking forward to it with my 34/28.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'M OUT!!!!! :-D But maybe I'll see ya Tuesday morning! :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be there. And, Mike, based on your time/pace up Palomar, I would guess you could do the Time Trial portion of the climb in about 34 minutes. That's pretty quick. I'm planning on a 40 min pace, but will likely get coaxed into going a little faster I'm sure. And, being a crosser - which means I'm neither a roadie nor a multi-sporter, I'm looking forward to riding with a bunch of tri-guys and gals. See you all there.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bump da de bump

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be there if I get off work on time that morning, probably with a few from the Inland Inferno Tri Club of verying abilities. We do this ride, minus the ride to the ski lifts on a regular basis.

Mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike P.

When are you driving up? Is Emily going? I'm about 90% for the ride - just trying to work out the logistics...

:)
Shari
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch SoCal Hill Climb roll call [Charlee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not sure just yet, still up in the air. If Emily goes, we're going to make a night of it and get a room at a hotel somewhere close. If she doesn't go, then I'm driving up Saturday morning. Should know for sure in the next day or so, I hope.

Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch SoCal Hill Climb roll call [Charlee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shari,

I'm driving up early Sat. morning and then heading over to Big Bear. You can ride with me and maybe catch a ride back to SD with someone heading back Saturday afternoon or tag along to Big Bear (bring your Mtn. bike) and head back to SD after the races Sunday.

Mike B

TheBikeRacer.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I'd like to ride it, however:

no car, near Pasadena AM, riding to OC PM...

It's just a detour ;~/
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch SoCal Hill Climb roll call [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another bump. Are the fires effecting the air quality in that area? From the top of Newport Yesterday, it sure looked like the smoke was heading in that direction and settling in.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch SoCal Hill Climb roll call [JM3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not that I've noticed.
Quote Reply