Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Slowtwitch & Business
Quote | Reply
Since I talked to Tom at Bikesport, I thought about the influence of Slowtwitch on business and man, it's huge! I got to triathlon about a 2 years ago and almost immediately join Slowtwitch forum. Here is how I got influenced :

You guy's helped me choose a bike.

Reading about how good Desoto client services was, some thread about the T1 and Tom's review of the T1 wetsuit made me buy one. Since them I also bought them some shorts and am now a Desoto fan.

Winter was coming and I was looking for a trainer so after reading a couple of threads, I bought the 1up.

Readed about great videos so I now have 6 Spinervals dvd

Readed about Total Immersion. Bought the book. Now also have the DVD.

Some thread were about good books and it got me buying : Gold in the water (WOW!!!), running with the buffaloes, Triathlete training bible, Going long, some book about a SEAL, once a runner, etc...

Since you guys made me understand the importance of fitting, I drove 13hrs from Quebec city to Detroit to get fit and finally meet Tom Demerly. Once there, I had to buy the Assos jacket.

Bought the Seal Mask and later the Caiman goggles

Reading about Lanzarote influenced me in registering to it's IM

Even if I don't have one, I am now a Cervelo fan because of this forum and Gerard participation in it.

Etc (includes a lot of items).

But most of all, you guys kept me motivated witch probably is one of the reason why I am still investing in this sport. By the way, of all those things I bought where Slowtwitch forum influenced me in my choice, there is not ONE I regret. Thanks to all! It's still scary to write them down!

If you are in the triathlon or even in one of the three sport business, you HAVE to be on Slowtwitch. It influence triathlon business but also books, videos, music, cars,etc.

So, what purchases did slowtwich influenced you?

Richard

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever" - Larry Andersen
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch & Business [rferron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, let me think...

I went to a bike dealer close to where I live that has a very good reputation for great fitting, and bought a new bike (that solved my back problems, thanks slowtwitch).

I purchased powercranks (too early to say if it yields positive results).

Most importantly : I learned a lot about Triathlon (although I thought I knew already quite a lot) and other things.

Now : i did not buy a Cervelo cause they are a bit too expensive in Switzerland, but would consider them in the future, because of Slowtwitch.

I will still make huge mistakes when training, and get injured often, but I'll be able to put the blame on ironguide or any other coach on slowtwitch for posting on training (just kidding !!!).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
got the t1 based on positive reviews on the forum and on tom's site.

got the caiman goggles based on the same.

learned the importance of bike fit and drove 4 hours to see paul levine.

bought the same books as rferron, mostly based on tom's input. going long, running with buffalo's, gold in the water, etc.

i own a cannondale but think that riding a cervelo would make me faster based on this forum.

and alot more...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My kids needed Christmas gifts ideas for me. I recalled reading some threads about the movie "The Bourne Identity" so I threw that out as a possible gift for me. I have learned that I resonate with much that is discussed here on Slowtwitch and even though I have never seen the Bourne Identity, it's gotta be better than a sweater if y'all like it so much.
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch & Business [JDub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The movie is good, but go get the book, it's great.

Richard

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
- Campy Record grouppo because Record10Ti was such a little bitch about its superiority. I needed to see what the deal was.

- Computrainer because Mike Plumb offered an irrestistable deal.

- QR Caliente a couple years ago after seeing (and reading) the light and realizing QR has their geometries in order.

- 82 wetsuits knowing that the folks on SlowTwitch would have my back (about 30 sold to STers so far).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This forum has assisted me in purchasing:

My Kestrel Talon (which i love)

My wheels

My baby jogger

My 1st IM entry

My treadmill

My trainer

Tri clothing

My Arione seat

And more....

Also has given me tons of training and racing tips!

Slowman is the Best!

-----------------------:)
SUPPORT OPERATION REBOUND:
http://www.operationreboundcalifornia.kintera.org/ejs3

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch & Business [JDub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second rferron's suggestion to get the book. As a matter of fact make sure you get the series it is awesome, much better than the movies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so true.

I bought a Cervelo on the strength of TD's review and the general esteem in which they are held. I would always ask the forum for advice before any major purchase. It just seems like a smart move.

kiwipat

per ardua ad astra
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
considering compact cranks and visiontech aerobars

bought Arione saddle/love it

was already a DeSoto fan

went to Musselman/ Jeff Henderson is a great guy/met Longspur by accident

met Ken Lehner and Mercer Craft

Herbert from Litespeed was a great help.

still waiting for my TSR jersey!

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch & Business [frogonawire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, I'll chime in here, too.

- Guru Cron-alu
- Fizik Arione
- Kaiman goggles
- first IM entry (LP '05)
- Rudy Project glasses
- Speedplay zeros
- FSA/VisionTech basebars and aerobars
- Spinervals
- Xlab
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have based just about every purchase I've made in the last three years on information I learned here. These include:

Trainer -- Kurt Kinetic

Yaqui Manzanita tri bike that I'm now selling because . . .

I learned of the Bicycle Sports sale here on the forum and bought an Aegis Trident frame and an X-Terra wetsuit.

My car -- I bought a Honda Element because of what I read about them here. I've had it almost two years. I still think it's dreadfully ugly, but its practicality more than makes up for its looks.

I'm building my new Aegis up with Campagnolo, mainly because of Record10 (as someone else has already stated).

I also avoid integrated headsets and race on tubulars (despite being quite slow) because of the bunnyman.

Yes, lots of good info floating around this place.

RP
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tons of great info.

De Soto T1- Thanks Monty

Fizik saddle-very nice

Some great Asics shoes and shirts-Thanks Shawn

Lots of laughs just about every day!

Thanks everyone.
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch & Business [jman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've only been pos(t)ing here for a few months, but so far I picked up the following based on feedback and input from here (and in some cases, in spite of the same):

Kurt Kinetic trainer (for $209) and also the power computer (comp. just arrived TODAY), He shoots, he scores!

Book - "Be IronFit", I like it.

Zipp 404 'race' wheels (lightly used via eBay) - 'race' in ' 's cuz I got clinchers - sorry, I can't make the leap to tubies just yet. Mebbe after this season, I will re-Bay the wheels (did I just coin a new phrase?) and get a 404 or Alps tubie front and a Renn disk rear. Them thar would be RACE wheels, no ' ' needed.

I'm entering the Timberman 1/2 IM 'cuz so many spoke so highly of it.

I asked Santa for a Profile aero bottle, and some other odds and ends based on feedback I got here too. Plus, there's the items I'm considering for future purchase, such as:

Renn disk - woulda never known about 'em if not for this place. Why pay more?

Fizik Arione saddle, to replace the "broomstick" (love that review from roadbike.review) Pave' saddle I currently have.

Nike Free shoes - I like running barefoot (and think it really helps yer form), but you can't always, hence these shoes.

And of course tons and tons of great training do's and don'ts from the peanut gallery.

edited to add: Oh, and the Bourne books are WAY better than the movies. I remember when I was reading them, thinking, "these stories would make a kick-ass movie, or 2 or 3 - I wonder why nobody made them yet?"

float , hammer , and jog

Last edited by: Murphy'sLaw: Dec 7, 04 13:35
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch & Business [jhendric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
- Campy Record grouppo because Record10Ti was such a little bitch about its superiority. I needed to see what the deal was.
Well...was I right?

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch & Business [Record10Ti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm still trying to get used to the shifters. Much more comfortable to hold that Shimano, but the ergonomics of the thumb lever is irritating (I basically have to move my entire hand to use it).
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch & Business [jhendric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really? I love the thumb lever and can reach it from seemingly anywhere, I often shift with my finger tips though, or the inside of my right hand.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch & Business [Record10Ti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure it's a function of my riding style, which came about on Shimano levers. It'll probably just take a little time to adapt to the Ergopower levers. Definitely more comfortable in other aspects, namely riding on the hoods or out of the saddle.

Time for more hell, I mean meetings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I need to work less and post more. Not enough of you are buying ASICS ; )

-Shawn, ASICS America

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch & Business [ShawnF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I might actually have a few question for you since I' m about to buy new shoes...and you should indeed post more ;) I dont have time right now but will post again later today.

Maybe that with this thread some companies will see how much they can learn and make by posting on slowtwitch with the effect of slowtwicher making better decision and cies improving their products and services.

thanks all for posting

Richard

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmm...where to start.

Race wheels - Renn disc + Spinergy Tillium; both based on reviews i read on here.

Pedals - Speedplay Zero's

Saddle - First the azoto, now the arione, via slowtwitch.

Goggles - Seal mask, thanks to ST

Desoto T1 - reviews on ST

Goretex N2S gloves - Tom D's review of N2S

FSA Carbon Elite Compact Cranks - Thanks to all the positive reviews of compacts on here (+ sex appeal ;)

Wolf Fork (on my guru i might add) - Thanks to gerard posting on ST

Ideas for next bike - definitly off of here.

As well...i think i may have found a new coach off of ST...so that could be huge!

"Anyone can work hard when they want to; Champions do it when they don't."
Last edited by: Kevin Gregg: Dec 8, 04 4:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shawn, I was partner in a specialty running store for 6 years and each year Asics was the #1 brand in "Running Stores". Has this changed? Kill Bill certainly helped with the fashion end of sales (ie the "lifestyle" section on your website) but it seems that as long as Asics brings technical shoes for "real" runners to market that they do so knowing that the people that buy on looks (ie Nike Shox, Adidas ClimaCool etc.) are never going to evolve into your core customer. As someone in a previous post stated, the masses are basically sheep and whoever has the biggest ad budget will get more than their fair share...whether it's deserved or not. I don't know many people that would say that a Nike Kantara is technologically superior to an Asics Kayano but Nike will outsell Asics in almost every instance.

That being said; I was already a big fan, and owned, Elite bicycles (I have two), Zipp race wheels, DeSoto Sport clothing, Speedplay pedals, Craft baselayer, Syntace bars, King headsets and asics/mizuno lightweight trainers long before I lurked/posted on this site. ST definitely influenced my decision to purchase the Fizik Arione and DeSoto T1 (although the test swim @ Wildflower really closed the deal). Also, I'll probably end up riding a compact crankset before the end of the '05 season due in part to what I've read here and while I've done 2 Ironmans I now feel compelled to do one off the continent...perhaps Brazil or Korea :)

Yup, ST has definitely helped me spend money I don't have on equipment that I don't need.

Miguel in the 'No...El Tribato

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Michael in Fresno
"Do you spend time with your family? Good. Because a man that doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man" V. Corleone
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Not enough of you are buying ASICS ; ) "

I think that's the only brand I've bought in the last 2 years.... Thanks for the great shoes, but please quit messing with the 20X0 series.. it seems that the "odd" ones in the series have been much better than the even ones. (just my opinion).

Currently stocking up on 2090s while I still can. Looking for 2070s, but can't find them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about an ASICS haiku contest like the one jhendric just made up, or something like that... it'll get people talking more about ASICs...

Get your boss to give you 10 pair and distribute with a fun and stupid contest on this forum...perfect advertising.

Trev Williams
http://www.thedoctrine.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch & Business [Tribato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kill Bill I and II have definitely helped the Onitsuka Tiger line. The OT line will be featured in a number of big budget movies coming out next year, and that's very exciting for all of us here. ASICS is committed to the core athletes, running specialty, and those looking for the best technical running shoes. We are also a business looking to broaden its customer base, so you'll start to see different styles in more stores, places we really haven't been before. You'll also start to see our ads in more mainstream magazines as we try to get the brand out in front of new people. However, the technical line, the Kayanos, Nimbus, 2000 series, etc. will remain the bread and butter of the company. Sales are very strong this year and early orders for next year are well above projection. It's a good time to be here. Thanks for the support. And yes, we are still number one or two in most running specialty stores.

-Shawn, ASICS America

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Last edited by: ShawnF: Dec 8, 04 11:37
Quote Reply