Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sleeve or No Sleeve Wetsuit for IM 70.3 Lake??
Quote | Reply
Hey All,

What do you recommend for IM 70.3 race with lake swim? Beginner - full wetsuit or no sleeve wetsuit?

I ask because I have the Men's Maverick Comp full wetsuit, and I feel restricted. Not sure if it takes more getting used to or no sleeve feels better.

Also, feeling of overheating, takes time to get used too.

Thank you!!
Quote Reply
Re: Sleeve or No Sleeve Wetsuit for IM 70.3 Lake?? [Gtri24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sleeves are always faster. If comfort is your priority, then sleeveless. If speed is your priority, then sleeves.
Quote Reply
Re: Sleeve or No Sleeve Wetsuit for IM 70.3 Lake?? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guess I just need to get used to it. I’m 2:00 per 100M in the pool (roka shorts).. about 2:30+ per 100yard in open water in wetsuit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whoa, that is a huge delta between pool and OWS. I am a little faster in good condition ocean swim in a wetsuit vs pool without. In a pool, I am 10 sec/100 yd faster with a wetsuit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the full suit restricts your movement then it's either too small, you have it on wrong or it's the wrong suit for you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've heard good and bad reasons for why people believe a full sleeve is faster than sleeveless, as well as plenty of tests that lack many things such as sample size, nuance, and context. But the most compelling evidence I've seen is looking at a pro ITU race where you see everyone in full sleeved :) Those people likely have the best access to expert opinion and data. Part of it may be more hydrodynamic than your skin, and letting in less water.

In your particular case though I'd say if you're feeling restricted the sleeveless may be faster. Might be worth asking at what point you feel restricted, i.e. is it only after 300 meters, or is it right after swimming 1700? Is the water cold enough where wearing a sleeveless would be an issue for you? At what point do you feel overheating? If you feel overheating during an easy to moderate swim, that will only worsen when you're going at race pace.

Professional interests in Genomics, Bioinformatics, Hardware/Software interfaces, sports interests are running from 800 to half marathon, sprint tri to half iron, cycling road races

https://brave.com/ - A safer and faster way to browse the web
https://www.strava.com/athletes/3757906
Last edited by: adaykin: Jul 28, 21 18:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Being comfortable is your thing. Timberman isn't going to be so cold you need the fullsleeve, and being more comfortable will make you more relaxed and burn fewer matches on the swim that you'd rather burn on the bike and run.
Quote Reply
Re: Sleeve or No Sleeve Wetsuit for IM 70.3 Lake?? [adaykin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Pro-ITU temp cut-off is 68 degrees F so they are never dealing with borderline overheating temps. I'd be wearing a full suit all the time under 68 degrees.

For those people that are in swims higher than 78 degrees like some RD's allow, a sleeveless can make sense some times.
Quote Reply