Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ski vs Snowboard?
Quote | Reply
I just spent the last three days in Breckenridge snowboarding. I boarded once last season and then three days so far this season. I spent years surfing, so boarding was a natural pick for me. I've gotten pretty comfortable in only four days, but have yet to step up to any blacks.

Nevertheless, how many of you ski vs board? My girlfriend skis and she says that skiing is "safer" (as far as risk of breaking arms/legs) compared to snowboarding... Thoughts? I'm still going to snowboard over ski, but I want to limit the risk of destroying my triathlon season.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Ski vs Snowboard? [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was at Breckenridge snowboarding two weeks ago. I don't go down any blacks unless it's by accident so it was mostly the blue runs on peaks 7, 8 and 9.

Personally I think there is less of a risk of twisting an ankle while snowboarding vs skiing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
I just spent the last three days in Breckenridge snowboarding. I boarded once last season and then three days so far this season. I spent years surfing, so boarding was a natural pick for me. I've gotten pretty comfortable in only four days, but have yet to step up to any blacks.

Nevertheless, how many of you ski vs board? My girlfriend skis and she says that skiing is "safer" (as far as risk of breaking arms/legs) compared to snowboarding... Thoughts? I'm still going to snowboard over ski, but I want to limit the risk of destroying my triathlon season.

https://journals.sagepub.com/...177/0363546511433279

I've had multiple knee injuries skiing, none major. However, I ski like I drive so...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ski. Never had any injuries. My buddy broke his back though, so YMMV.

Hitting trees or other people hurts equally bad on skis vs. snowboard. Be smart & wear a helmet and you should be fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Ski vs Snowboard? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
I was at Breckenridge snowboarding two weeks ago. I don't go down any blacks unless it's by accident so it was mostly the blue runs on peaks 7, 8 and 9.

Personally I think there is less of a risk of twisting an ankle while snowboarding vs skiing

I'm really tempted to try the two blues off Peak 6... But being that far above treeline is a little intimidating. hah. Plus I hear Peak 6 gets really icy.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two planks for life. EDIT: I think skiing has a more gradual learning curve, thus "safer". Always relative to the amount of assumed risk.

https://www.youtube.com/...g4HuIQt9c&t=181s
Last edited by: Paused: Dec 30, 19 10:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Peak 6 wasn't open when I was there this year but it was last year. I don't think it was any more difficult than any of the other blue runs.

https://connect.garmin.com/.../activity/3223152785
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ski, but my son (23) went to the dark side. It's his fourth season and he boarded Steamboat top to bottom last year.

On Xmas day he just took his first bad fall - at our (icy) home mountain in NY, Hunter. Caught his front edge, fell face first and banged his right shoulder bad. He had huge bulge on his shoulder. I took him to first aid and they said it wasn't a separation. Lost mobility but wasn't in terrible pain. I convinced the wife the ER was a waste of time and on Thursday we got him to an orthopedist. X-ray and MRI showed sprain but no breaks. Thank god or the wife would've killed me. A few weeks rest and he'll be fine.

So, yeah, injuries can come from either. Personally I think 2 planks are safer but mostly it's ability, conditions and common sense. Either way, nothing beats going down a mountain!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the first few days are harder to snowboard but after that the learning curve is much easier then skiing

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Started on skis at 3, switched to snowboarding at 9 and never looked back. I did jump on some skis to help my wife learn a few years ago. It was much easier to teach her that way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done both for most of my life and lived in Colorado living the ski bum life for a bit as well. I learned to ski growing up mainly because snowboarding was barely a "thing" yet (I'm 38). I got my first board when I was maybe 12 and then alternated back and forth until going full time snowboarding because I felt like I was in on the ground floor. All in all I had more upper body injuries snowboarding (wrists, shoulders, lower back) and more lower body injuries skiing (twisted and sprained knee mostly). With that said, I went a lot harder boarding then I ever did skiing so those injuries were to be more expected. IMO if you're staying on the blues and groomers you should be pretty safe assuming you're competent and pay attention to those around you. Once you start doing bump runs at high speeds, disappear into the trees and finding new things to jump off, well then all bets are off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well let's see...been snowboarding for 33 years and never broke, pulled or sprained anything...contrasted to both Sony Bono and my father in law who both died skiing...I'll stick with boarding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just got back from Mammoth for the start of my second season of skiing. I've had a few falls but the skis released when they were supposed to and so far no injuries. No interest in taking up snowboarding although I enjoy the sense of humor of the Angry Snowboarder on Youtube.
Quote Reply
Re: Ski vs Snowboard? [jond81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jond81 wrote:
Once you start doing bump runs at high speeds, disappear into the trees and finding new things to jump off, well then all bets are off.

Ha! My nephew, a Colorado native, disappeared into the trees at Steamboat last year on every run. He showed us his Go Pro after the first day. I knew then, for sure, I wasn't following him ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Ski vs Snowboard? [stillrollin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of the above posts had an article that I agreed with and thought was common knowledge. Skiers get lower body injuries more and boarders get upper body injuries. pretty logical as boarders have there feet hooked onto a common surface and move together. Skiers have independent moving legs. I think the biggest injury factor of boarders are going over the high side. If you catch that edge you get slammed over the top very quickly. Thus they have lots more wrist, shoulder and collar bone injuries. Skiers seem to get an acl tear. New developments in boots, easy to turn skis and bindings have reduced a lot of injuries. The study also mentioned more head injuries among boarders. Which seems feasible.
Hitting trees and other immovable objects all bets are off. I think too, some of the snow board injuries occur while jumping and doing tricks. I was too old to catch the snowboard train in my youth, but am amazed at how much fun they seem to be having on the hill. They seem like the happiest people on the mountain.

Used to be only racers wore helmets. Now it is the norm, glad to see that. The first 20 years or so that I rode no one wore helmets either. I always feel really bad when I see someone going down the hill on the sled. Be safe out there folks.
Quote Reply
Re: Ski vs Snowboard? [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
as a surfer and skateboarder ... I think the weight transfer of snowboarding is quite different.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, ski injuries tend to be knees and legs, and can be pretty horrific. Snowboard injuries are more often wrists and arms. You can mess yourself up badly doing either, but IME the risk is higher generally with skiing. I ski raced competitively through most of my teens and switched to snowboarding before I was out of high school. To really hurt yourself snowboarding you've got to be going really fast or get lots of air. My worst injury was on a snowboard, but that was a torn hip flexor resulting from overshooting the landing on a jump. My brother, on the other hand, got a compound tib/fib break from a relatively low speed fall on skis.

Once I had kids I stopped getting to the mountains altogether, but recently started teaching my daughter to ski, so have been back at it. I'm not all that worried about injury at this point because I'm not riding like a teenager. Assuming you're not either, I think you'll be fine either way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started snowboarding when they were still banned at many resorts.
I liked snowboarding but when skis went parabolic I switched and never looked back.
Having a set of poles to get through flat sections is also a big advantage.

That being said, I haven't downhilled in many years cuz nordic skiing is more convenient and I don't need an expensive lift pass.
Quote Reply
Re: Ski vs Snowboard? [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
surfNJmatt wrote:
the first few days are harder to snowboard but after that the learning curve is much easier then skiing

As they say: what’s the difference between a beginner and an expert snowboarder?
About 3 days.
Quote Reply
Re: Ski vs Snowboard? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
That being said, I haven't downhilled in many years cuz nordic skiing is more convenient and I don't need an expensive lift pass.

Alpine touring/ski mountaineering? No expensive pass, great workout, can get great sunrises on dawn patrols, all sorts of freedom, pick your terrain/difficulty (conditions permitting), etc etc.

Granted Nordic can be more convenient, but touring is still pretty awesome.
Quote Reply
Re: Ski vs Snowboard? [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I caught a back edge on my board one time last winter, fell back and whipped the back of my head on the "packed powder". Had I not been wearing a helmet I might have done some damage. I replaced that helmet.

As for going through the trees, I've tried it but am not good enough for tight areas. There was a place at Winter Park CO and Vail that had areas with sparsely spaced trees and that was a lot of fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went through some of the trees this past weekend on a few blue runs. Granted, I wasn't going full blast, but sliding through some of the trees and having to scrub off some speed was a blast. Definitely the most fun I've had so far. I also unintentionally got caught in some moguls on the top of one of the blue runs off Peak 7. I of course spent most of my time on my butt, but it's a pretty cool feeling when you can link a few turns together.

Quote Reply
Re: Ski vs Snowboard? [Northy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Northy wrote:
surfNJmatt wrote:

As they say: what’s the difference between a beginner and an expert snowboarder?
About 3 days.
I've been snowboarding for close to 20 years and splitboarding for about 5 and I don't consider myself an expert haha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yea, I'm not good at moguls either. If I had a smaller board I might be able to turn fast enough but if I get caught in them I'll normally just do the falling leaf until it levels out a bit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:

I'd agree. When I started boarding we met a nice guy who was retired and was waiting to meet his sons for their annual holiday. He was a great guy and watched us board and gave us some tips that helped in the first few days. He said he'd completely messed up his knee ligaments by twisting them too many times in skiing falls. But could board fine as both legs are strapped into the same thing so they are locked in a solid triangle. He wouldn't of been able to keep going to their annual thing without boarding.

Having said that I damaged the cartilage in my chest and had minor whiplash while boarding but I'm an idiot and no-one told me you aren't supposed to go straight down the slope on day one.
Quote Reply

Prev Next