Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Simple, sturdy and fast treadmill ?
Quote | Reply
Suggestions on a real simple, but quality, sturdy and fast treadmill?

I dont need any fancy screen, smart functions, etc. Just pace/speed is enough. I always just run flat, so no inclination needed either. Its going in the garage, so no need for silence either.

Needs to be able to handle intervals until 20 km/h / 12.5 mph. Sturdy in the sense that the feeling of running is good and steady, not like a cheap hotel-fitness room machine :)

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Simple, sturdy and fast treadmill ? [Mulen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing to add except following with interest. Looks like it is the season more than ever for treadmill purchases!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reward yourself with a Landice L8 and you will be very happy. Only goes to 12.0 MPH, but otherwise solid, well made and very durable. I love mine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that many treadmills tend to top out around 12 mph - at least mine (True PS100) does. I believe that Woodway and some other top brands have models that can go to 15 mph (4:00 miles), but you are paying a lot to get that extra speed.

I wonder if some health clubs are dumping treadmills and other gear now with many shutting down - maybe a place like Craigslist is a good place to start. I am in the Boston area and the health club chain I belonged to shut down - I'm curious as to what they are doing with all the equipment.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is pretty tough to find a treadmill that goes that fast.

In chatting with a Precor rep this fall he told me that most commercial treadmills are now limited to12 mph as it is a liability issue for the gyms, however, I have used some of the older Precor models that get down to the 4:00 per mile range.

I've run on nearly every treadmill brand and Precor is definitely my favorite in terms of quality, feel and aesthetic, and they can often be found at a decent price from a commercial gym if you aren't wanting to use part of your retirement savings to buy one brand new if you can find one.

One other option is to simply run at a slightly higher incline once you want to drop below a 5:00 per mile pace to hit interval and rep workouts with the added benefit of building a bit more strength and recruiting a few more muscles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought the Proform Smart 2000 in January. It came with iFit for 3-years. I think it was $1600 +/- $100

Things I like:

1. iFit allows me to program my run courses (via google maps). The treadmill will adjust incline/decline to match road. So I can run the actual race routes in my basement. I've also programmed some Zwift run courses assuming they are in real cities like Richmond or London.
  2. It's quiet
  3. Speakers are fantastic. No more headphones...unless you live in apartment or close to living space. I have workout room that I sound proofed as much as I could.
  4. It has decline option
  5. One touch speed and incline controls (most treadmills have this)

Things I don't like:

1. It bricked after two weeks and took almost 9 weeks to get up and running again. Part of the delay was the pandemic. Nobody could come out and fix it. We bumped heads a lot and I even went through the BBB, which resulted in CEO contacting me. They kept sending wrong parts to me and expected me to install. Once I got it working, the speed was way off. 3MPH was more like 5MPH. I asked for new treadmill they declined saying I was out of warranty for replacement unit. I am out of warranty for replacement because they kept sending the wrong damn parts. Once Michigan opened up again, a repair man came out, did a bunch of stuff and it's been flawless since. I will say they are VERY responsive to fixing it.
  2. Takes a minute or two to turn on. Annoys me because I'm always late to Zwift.
  3. Fans suck. They point at my belly button. Not big deal since I use a big floor fan.

Quote | Reply
I bought a used Precor commercial, it's a massive machine, it runs at 4 minute miles and is solid as a rock. it cost me $500 bucks, it will last forever
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Sole F85. Been happy with it going on 3 years now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have heard Assault Airrunner Manual Treadmill is good. I haven't used it. It's something I read on the internet. It could meet your requirements.
Quote Reply
Re: Simple, sturdy and fast treadmill ? [bobliver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks a lot y´all :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a pair of completely refurbished Cybex 550T Pro3 treadmills for my training studio 5 years ago and they are perfect. I demoed about 20 different models and I went with the 550T because the bed felt the most natural, it has an incline range of -2% to 15%, and gets up to 12.4mph. I'm in NYC and we have a bunch of gym stores that do in house rehabs/refurbs, give solid warranties, and will let you test all the machines pre purchase. Depending on where you are located, that would be a great option. Or just pick up a 550T, you can't go wrong!

I'll be selling one of my treadmills in the next couple weeks so if you are anywhere close to New York, you're welcome to come give it a run.
Quote Reply
Re: Simple, sturdy and fast treadmill ? [TriBy3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where abouts in NYC are you? Could be tempted to visit and take a look, but without a truck it might be difficult to get a machine back home (Stamford)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought an Xterra trx3500 last year and Im happy with it.
Only paid like $700.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sole F80 owner here, great matchine. 12 mph max speed but you can do 3-4% if you want to hurt more.
Quote Reply
Re: Simple, sturdy and fast treadmill ? [samills610] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m in Brooklyn, Gowanus area. You’re welcome to come by and check it out. The bed separates from the rest of the unit, which makes it easier to transport, but yeah, without a truck it’ll be a challenge for sure.
Quote Reply
Re: Simple, sturdy and fast treadmill ? [Economist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We've got the Nordictrack Commercial 2450, which is a cousin to the Proform but with a better shock absorption for middle-aged knees setting. I agree that quality control is not their strong point- we had a problem with hairline cracks on the deck after about 8 months of use that got covered under warranty.

I did not think the smart features of it would be a big deal and had been planning on just putting an iPad on the stand and watching movies or something as I ran. It turned out I loved the global trainer-led workouts and after spending a couple years where I was largely pretending to be a runner, I'm starting to feel like I am a runner again. The on-air talent is good and as cheesy as it sounds, I actually really enjoy the simulated Swiss Alps and such.

iFit is also in the process of a big software upgrade that will make it a lot easier to override the preset speeds and inclines of their trainer-led workouts instead of having to do it all manually. And maybe in 2021 they will actually come through with a fully functional workout search function.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mulen wrote:
Thanks a lot y´all :)

Where do you live? Like another poster stated, a also have a commercial Precor. Built like a tank. I’m near a Chicago/ Milwaukee and would be willing to part with it if you are interested.
Quote Reply