Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Simeoni-Armstrong Act III
Quote | Reply
Act I - Simeoni interrogated talks etc. He is called a liar and sues LA.

Act II - TDF 04, Simeoni attacks and LA counters clearly to tell him, 'you will not win as long as I am here' (if you think it wasn't the intent, then looked at the OLN footage with Lance back in the peloton making a sign with his fingers of zipping his mouth and laughing)

Act III - The Italian Carabinieri are investigating whether Lance attempted to 'intimidate' (for lack of better translation) Simeoni during the Tour. LA may also be interrogated by the Carabinieri
Quote Reply
Re: Simeoni-Armstrong Act III [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's "Carabinieri"?
Last edited by: TriAlbany: Jul 26, 04 7:37
Quote Reply
Re: Simeoni-Armstrong Act III [TriAlbany] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oops sorry...italian Police (actually a type of police but linked to the army)
Quote Reply
Re: Simeoni-Armstrong Act III [TriAlbany] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Simeoni needs to stop crying b/c he got his ass handed to him.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why would the military police be interested in an event that took place in France--or is it related the the lawsuit?
Quote Reply
Re: Simeoni-Armstrong Act III [mts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lance "intimidated" 200 riders the last 3 weeks.

'STICK EM UP PUNK ITS THE FUN LOVING CRIMINAL'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have no knowledge of Italian laws, but could one make the leap that Lance's actions were intimidating in that they threatened Simeoni's livelihood and hence could be construed as obstruction?

I have to admit that Lance went a long way to cooling this long time fan's ardor for him this year....this being just one instance
Quote Reply
Re: Simeoni-Armstrong Act III [BrianE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think that they are referring to chasing Simeoni down. It must be something that Armstrong purportedly said to Simeoni.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
LA may also be interrogated by the Carabinieri
I don't think we're going to extradite Lance to Italy.....

from the information I got (posted on the FFC website, french fed of cycling), LA's actions in the Tour can be seen as intimidation of someone who is a witness in a trial.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The allegation seems tenuous at best. Sounds like some home-cooking. I truly hope Lance rides the Giro next year - it is such a great race. And even better if he goes for the Giro-TDF double. These issues pending and newly-arising in Italy certainly do not further my hopes.
Quote Reply
Re: Simeoni-Armstrong Act III [RA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"The allegation seems tenuous at best"

why? do you have inside information that we do not have?

BTW, yesterday, Simeoni was given the prix de la combativite (combativity prize)...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the so-called intimidation is the alleged statement that "you will not win as long as I am here," the basis for any criminal charge would seem tenuous at best. I certainly do not purport to have any inside information or what else Lance may or may not have said to Simeoni. I also do not purport to have any understanding of Italian criminal jurisprudence, but in America, there must be something much more than what we have seen. A somewhat petty act in the context of an arduous sporting event would never rise to the level of a criminal act. Threat of bodily harm would be different. Or threats specifically tied in to how he will testify or if he will testify would also be different. I find all of these little incidents unfortunate as they are bringing down the glory of cycling as a whole at a time when its popularity, especially in America, is rising dramatically.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this is why I wrote:

from the info I got LA's ACTIONS on the Tour (vague enough, so there is certainly something we do not know) etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Along the same lines, then, should not Ekimov be investigated for battery for blowing snot on Simeoni? Or even better yet, sued in civil court. In America, spitting on someone actually is actionable in the civil courts and can give the person spat upon an entitlement to punitive damages, it being the notion that spitting on someone is a most vile act that brings dishonor on the otherwise civility of our nation. I'm saddened to hear Ekimov acted in such a fashion, but does it surprise me that athletes engage in such vulgarities? No. Should criminal courts intervene in these instances? No. Now checking someone in the face with a hockey stick I would put on a different plateau.

I guess this "intimidation" stuff rings so hollow to me unless there really was a significant threat. Come on, this was a sporting event. If Lance does not want Simeoni to ever win a race, even if it is exactly because he has sued Lance, then so what. Shame on Lance, but don't waste the taxpayers dollars by pursuing criminal action. As someone has already posted, Lance intimated everyone by his performance. I don't hear Kloden or Basso crying.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i agree that there must be something we don't know if they are actually considering charges. If it's intimidating a witness to keep him from winning a race, then Lance would have had to allow Simeoni to win the whole thing if he wanted. i don't think that would hold up.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes, BUT Simeoni is currently a witness in a trial that involves Lance as Ferrari is his doctor/coach/whatever... if you don't see a problem here, too bad...

if Ferrari is considered guilty, then it looks bad on Lance, hence, Lance has clearly some interests in having Simeoni not talking...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]BTW, yesterday, Simeoni was given the prix de la combativite (combativity prize)...[/reply]

It's really too bad Piil didn't make it to the end, as he really deserved that one. I haven't seen the all of the footage, but I think Rasmussen would have been a top contender as well. He did FAR more than Simeoni in my book. Any idea how that's judged? Or is it up to the whim and fancy of a committee, or worse yet, just one person?

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Granted I've got extremely limited knowledge of the pertinent events, but given what is common knowledge it sounds like he can't beat him on the course, so he'll try and beat him in Italian court. Damn, he almost sounds American.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I would see a bigger problem if Lance had physically threatened Simeoni. If Simeoni is in the race then he is taking his chances with winning and losing and he can't expect Lance to lay off him because of the legal issues. Also, although Ferrari generally seems to be considered dirty, he has not been proven so or convicted of anything that I know of. A trial that goes on for a year and a half sounds fishy to me.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Re: Simeoni-Armstrong Act III [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
there is one given daily and one overall.
Simeoni got the one yesterday and Piil overall (as you said, that was a no contest for Piil...did he even know the event was draft legaL :-) )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This award is pretty much based on the amount of time you were on the attack, is that right?

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, ok - I thought you meant overall (I didn't know there was a daily one)

Are all the awards posted somewhere? I've been looking, but haven't seen anything...

Piil rules. CSC/Cervelo had a great tour. Gerard & Phil must have been ecstatic with this years race.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can it not be more simple than that? Anyone that knows anything about LA knows that he is fiercely loyal. LA did not call Simeoni a liar based on things that he said about Lance, but on things that he said about Ferarri. What is wrong with someone taking a stand for a person? Why is society so touchy feely that we could be put off by this kind of behavior in a competitive sporting event?

Good for Lance for sticking up for himself and for his friend Dr Ferrari.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"The allegation seems tenuous at best"

why? do you have inside information that we do not have?
So your saying that since the Italian police are investigating, there must have been some off-camera intimidation as well? In the absence of any evidence of this, I think tenuous is an appropriate description...

Prev Next