Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Silverman - temps
Quote | Reply
You all silverman alumni...I was in LV a couple of weeks ago and stopped at the cycling store there (forgot the name). Anyway, the guys were saying that by the time Silverman comes around, the temperatures are far from soaring and it's actually fairly cold.

How cold does it actually get? Suggestions for TT/Tri cycling gears to ride in the cold (without negating a good aero position, and aero gears with a big jacket)?
Quote Reply
Re: Silverman - temps [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did Silverman in 2007 when the daytime temperature ranged from a low of 53 to a high of 73--the normal low/high range was upper 40s to 70. Of course, the weather gods seem to throw lots of curves at Silverman participants, so my best advice would be to be prepared for anything. For 2007, I started off the bike with a light cycling jacket, but stuffed it into my back pocket within 10 miles. I was one of the few wearing a jacket, but I'm a wuss when it comes to cold. :)

By the way, when researching "typical" weather for races, I usually go to the historical data available at Weather Underground. Get several years' data for a specific date, and you'll get a better idea as to what can be expected.

Good luck!

Jim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
You all silverman alumni...I was in LV a couple of weeks ago and stopped at the cycling store there (forgot the name). Anyway, the guys were saying that by the time Silverman comes around, the temperatures are far from soaring and it's actually fairly cold.

How cold does it actually get? Suggestions for TT/Tri cycling gears to ride in the cold (without negating a good aero position, and aero gears with a big jacket)?

When I did Silverman (2007) I rode in a set of bibs and a tight long sleeve cycling jersey. I don't think it slowed me down too much, I had one of the better biking splits. I think I ran in shorts and short sleeve shirt.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Silverman - temps [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Temps are usually between 50 and 75 during the day. If it's a long day (and it usually is for the full silverman folks), remember it does get nippy after the sun goes down.

Last year, a freak storm came thru and between the winds whipping up and the cold rain/hail, it was quite chilly on the bike....until the sun came out a few hours later. I was glad i'd stashed a light jacket in my T1 bag to wear during the first half of the bike (especially during the time i spent shivering by the side of the road trying to change my flat in the middle of the cold rain!)....

Be prepared for anything and everything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
in 2006 it was in the 60s I think. I did the 1/2 and was comfortable in a tri suit during the race. But when I stopped moving I was freezing. In November, when the sun goes down or behind the clouds/mountains it can be cold.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
check out Wunderground weather for last year's race. Yes it was cold. A vicious cold front came through near the end of the swim. The weather was moving west to east. The bike course to the turn-around was west to east. With the storm. So for two hours was in the weather. Cold rain and some hail and thunder. And strong crosswinds initially. After awhile my toes and fingers were numb.

I don't do well in cold weather so was urinating heavy every 30 minutes. Took me out of my A game.

So be prepared for any type of weather.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did Silverman last year and it was very cold. Every day before and after race day was 70+ and sunny. Race day it was in the 50s and windy/rainy. I think it even hailed. I wore arm warmers, full finger gloves and a wind vest for the entire bike and run and was fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Knowing how much you enjoy cold, if I were you, I'd bring a spare wetsuit to change into after the swim. And some booties.
Just confirmed that my bike has a ride up there, now I need an airline ticket so I can race the half.

I'm bringing arm warmers, gloves and a vest to be safe, maybe a shirt to pull on over my race kit for the bike.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Aug 18, 09 13:34
Quote Reply
Re: Silverman - temps [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Knowing how much you enjoy cold, if I were you, I'd bring a spare wetsuit to change into after the swim. And some booties.
Just confirmed that my bike has a ride up there, now I need an airline ticket so I can race the half.

I'm bringing arm warmers, gloves and a vest to be safe, maybe a shirt to pull on over my race kit for the bike.

No need to worry. Francois wussed out of the real Ironman in November and is going to do the watered down version. ;)
Quote Reply