Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Show us your open water!
Quote | Reply
We had a beautiful start to the day! The lake temperature was 80 degrees and air temp 63 degrees. What a great time of year for OWS! We try and get out at least twice per week before work at first light. Show us where you swim!

Quote Reply
Re: Show us your open water! [bmpskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Our new back yard. Bonus points for starting the swim off the diving board.
But the water temps are no where near what you are talking about.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been swimming this weekly for 14 years...

https://vimeo.com/...pZpUNDv16XOB_S6l4UoY

Chris
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
― Hunter S. Thompson,
Quote Reply
Re: Show us your open water! [Smil'n Hawaiian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spectacular scenery. Thanks for sharing the video. Pacific Grove is certainly beautiful. Looking forward to seeing others...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Coronado, CA. Bay side.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't get to swim here often, and it's more of a snorkelling spot, but it was spectacular:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
St. Margaret's Bay, Nova Scotia. Water temp of late has been around 70/72 (depends on the wind). The last few years the water has been the warmest we have ever seen.

Andrew Inkpen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great thread.This is where I am for half the year.
Mae Pim Beach,Rayong,Thailand.Home of the Thailand Triathlon Federation,the ITU Asia Cup Sprint Triathlon
,Thailand National Champ's and the Thailand Double Iron.
Last edited by: ThailandUltras: Aug 7, 19 4:39
Quote Reply
Re: Show us your open water! [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i hate you all.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Avila Beach, CA
Water Temps between 52 - 58 all year
Air Temps between 55 - 75 Oct - Mar, 60 - 90 Apr - Sept

Occasional Shark
Many dolphins
Many seals and otters

Three piers, one ship lane, many miles of swimming

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shaw’s Cove – Laguna Beach, Ca. July 4th Float Parade

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: Show us your open water! [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL. How about showing us your favorite OWS spot that doesn't include a race venue? A picture you took. It's really fun seeing all of the great places. CA seems to be well-represented. The opening thread pic is in the Sierra Foothills. How about more from the Midwest, South, Northwest, etc. CA works too. Any place with water, a beautiful sunrise/sunset, and great for swimming is perfect IMO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Southern Hemisphere needs to be represented in this thread .. ;)

I live in a city full of ocean pools like this (this one is oly size with a shallow kid’s end), but it’s not always the best place to swim open water as on many days - the ocean is warm, clear and crystal blue teeming with abundant and colourful fish, including some friendly shark.

On calm days, swimming in the ocean is like swimming in a pool - but no black lines or ropes, and with lots of fish keeping you company. On others, a bit of fun in chop and waves.

Last edited by: snail: Aug 7, 19 4:23
Quote Reply
Re: Show us your open water! [snail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Always sheltered, flat, calm. Shallow, warm and clear water. No sharks or other big things with teeth.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hate your lives! This thread reminds me of the "share your pain cave" photos where everybody seemed to have the finest state-of-the-art facility and I was turbo-ing in a shit tip of a basement staring at my gas meter.

Options for OW swimming are seriously limited when you live in West Yorkshire, UK. Landlocked, no large/safe lakes (mostly drinking water reservoirs with massive dangerous sink holes), and shit rainy windy weather that swirls the silt around in whatever body of water you do find.

I swim in what is, basically, a large duck pond. Or to put it another way, a large body of duck shit soup. It is pretty much the only local option for an OW swim for miles and miles around and is the headquarters for our club. I love it dearly, even though it makes me ill almost 50% of the times I swim there. The pontoon on the picture here is where the ducks choose to sleep (and therefore shit) and sometimes the staff come out and do us "a favour" by sweeping the duck poo out into the water, ready for us to jump into.

One other option if you are happy with unsupervised wild swimming is a local reservoir. It's a bit small and generally pretty cold.

I need to move :-). But on the plus side I got to swim in Eidfjord this weekend so I can't complain too much.

Cheers,
Rich.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My swimming hole. It's not perfect, it has it's share of jellyfish (although not this year), seaweed and other floaties but it's usually calm and peaceful!

Last edited by: Zenmaster28: Aug 7, 19 4:34
Quote Reply
Re: Show us your open water! [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steinsee - a small, nice, clean lake south of Munich/Germany. A half mile long straight is marked with 5 buoys. Good for ows and simply beautiful!
Last edited by: motorcity: Aug 7, 19 5:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Playa Lisa, Santa Pola.

15 minutes' drive from home, 6km return from the kitesurfing beach to the harbour. Makes for a good SUP/swim area.

SUP Santa Pola

Quote Reply
Re: Show us your open water! [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fellow Yorkshireman here!! I feel your pain, but I moved to the South Wales coast many years ago, will post a pic of our swim beach later when I get to my PC !!
Quote Reply
Re: Show us your open water! [AndrewPhx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndrewPhx wrote:
St. Margaret's Bay, Nova Scotia. Water temp of late has been around 70/72 (depends on the wind). The last few years the water has been the warmest we have ever seen.

You seen Pumpkin lately???

(for those of you not from around here) https://globalnews.ca/...white-shark-pumpkin/

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Aug 7, 19 7:40
Quote Reply
Re: Show us your open water! [motorcity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motorcity wrote:
Steinsee - a small, nice, clean lake south of Munich/Germany. A half mile long straight is marked with 5 buoys. Good for ows and simply beautiful!

Your OW is worthy of being seen without clicking. For others, use the little picture icon on upper right to post. Spectacular photo.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My photos are too large to upload according to the error message I get. But we have a couple beautiful reservoirs here in Vermont for open water swimming. For anyone who's bored, here are a couple links since I can't post directly.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzlDbBeBZTF/

https://www.instagram.com/p/By5BD1qheI4/

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Re: Show us your open water! [70Trigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Workaround: I just did a screen shot of a photo from my Instagram account. Much smaller in size so now I can upload :-)

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its a little warm but you sure get fast swimming from all the things trying eat you.

Quote Reply
Re: Show us your open water! [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Typical Texas lake. I love this lake a lot because water temp is 85–88 degrees right now. I can't swim in cold water, so I go out there and swim as much as I can during summer.
Last edited by: s13tx: Aug 7, 19 12:58
Quote Reply

Prev Next