Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Show me your 1 X ?? build [mdm81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to know! I am usually mid 80s so unless I have a big downhill or big tailwind I should be fine. Might get a 52 for my other crank that way if I need to I can switch it up. Wish they made a 52 for 110 bcd though. Maybe soon.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your 1 X ?? build [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jrielley wrote:
Good to know! I am usually mid 80s so unless I have a big downhill or big tailwind I should be fine. Might get a 52 for my other crank that way if I need to I can switch it up. Wish they made a 52 for 110 bcd though. Maybe soon.

Maybe I am misunderstanding you, but SRAM most definitely makes a 52T chainring for a 110bcd crank.

http://www.artscyclery.com/SRAM_Red_Black_Chainring_52T_110_BCD/descpage-SRCRR52110B.html
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your 1 X ?? build [aarondb4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes they do. But not the x sync one which seems to be the one thats needed for a 1x system. But if I am wrong let me know!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jrielley wrote:
Yes they do. But not the x sync one which seems to be the one thats needed for a 1x system. But if I am wrong let me know!

Gotcha. I know some people have run a regular chainring and just kept the front derailleur to keep the chain in place. Remove all the cabling and just set it where it will hold the chain on if it tries to come off. Not as clean, but I hear it works.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could just put a bash guard on both sides of the chainring; I imagine that'd be enough to keep it on in almost all cases.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just for the record I believe the offset is different on the X-Sync chainrings to try and improve the chainline over normal outer rings.
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your 1 X ?? build [pyrahna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know what the chainline is on a standard ring vs the X-Sync or other specific rings.

I believe my Fibre-Lyte was 46mm but if I flip it, it was 43.5 which worked so much better.
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your 1 X ?? build [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I honestly have no idea where I read they were different, but I certainly can't find it now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, I had an epiphany (small one) and remembered where I read it.

http://www.tririg.com/articles.php?id=2016_03_SRAM_1x_Road_Review&page=2

Nick talks about how the chain ring is offset to be in the middle of a traditional 2 ring setup, which makes sense, but there is no mention of actual measurements.
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your 1 X ?? build [pyrahna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I measured mine so I know what they were but I believe that I read somewhere that 43-45 was around a standard chainline for a road bike. I would have to look it up again but 43.5 is working great for my build.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ahh makes sense. I guess I could try that too since I won't be taking the hanger off since it is affixed to my frame. Not ready to go all in just yet.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Someone needs to come up with a super simple light weight carbon chain guide when running 1x systems for road bikes. Maybe my next project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The narrow/wide chainring works great. They are cheap and available from multiple sources. Anyone who has a 110 bcd crank and complains that 50t is the biggest chainring they can buy is not getting any sympathy from me. Get a new crank or deal with coasting above 35mph.

I need to post a pic of my "new" bike - Trek Emonda with a 44x11-32 setup. I road up King's Mtn with a buddy last weekend and occasionally found myself reaching for one more gear on the way up (it always seems like I am one gear short regardless of gearing), but found 44x11 to be plenty on the way down.

Last year I raced Tahoe 70.3 with this same gearing and had the same experience.

I did just get a Wolf Tooth Road Link and Shimano 11-40 XT cassette and want to try that out for some steeper unpaved climbs.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only picture I've got at the moment, but I'm digging the 1x and very much digging the new 2016 http://DimondBikes.com

@christopher_borden •
Spinning Spoke • Dimond Bikes • Flo Cycling • Castelli Cycling
Last edited by: Borden: May 3, 16 15:46
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your 1 X ?? build [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah there's no reason for me to complain! I had a 50/34 then changed to 52/36 so for me it's more of a I don't want a big change. But I'm very excited about the simplicity of it!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your 1 X ?? build [Borden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That bike looks SO good with a 1x setup.

/kj

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok finally got around to snapping a pic of my "new" bike on my quick ride at lunch today.

Frame - Purchased from ZachBoring through ST classifieds
Wheels - ST Classifieds
Power Meter - ST Classifieds
Brakes - ST Classifieds
Saddle - ST Classifieds
Drivetrain - Stripped off a 2004 Madone I build up with Ultegra Di2 (switched from external to seatpost battery)

Currently set up with 44x11-32. I did a ride up King's Mtn (my favorite local climb) and felt gearing was ok on the way up and way down. I did pick up an 11-40 XT cassette that may be better for longer/steeper/unpaved climbs. I was thrilled to discover the Emonda fits Paris Roubaix tires (labeled 27mm, measure 30 on my wheels).

I don't race road, so this bike is only for training/enjoyment and the top gear of 44x11 really doesn't bother me. I pedaled up to 38mph today on a descent and then had to tuck and coast.

My goal of being free of front derailleurs has finally come true, but I will be the first to admit that for long, sustained climbs and descents a 2x setup is superior. But I love the simplicity and for rolling hills (very few real flats near where I live) 1x is absolutely fantastic. Plus it just looks great - now if I could only figure out how to get rid of the front derailleur mount...

/kj

Last edited by: kjmcawesome: May 4, 16 15:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Am I missing a 50t new (4 bolt 110) Shimano single ring anywhere? Other than Fibre Lyte? Or SOL?

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Drill out the rivet! Looks great!
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your 1 X ?? build [zachboring] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And hope that it is not bonded like I believe my Cervelo is. I am holding off drilling out the rivets for now until I am sure 100% that 1x is the way to go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
True. That could be problematic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BUT you never know until you try right. I just want someone else to try first THEN I might try it myself. lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not my bike so I say KJ tries it :)
Last edited by: zachboring: May 5, 16 7:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha. Thanks.

I did drill out the rivets on my Speed Concept. Bonded. Bummer. I assume it is the same with the Emonda (rivets are positioned the same and the hanger looks identical), but I'll let someone else give it a go first.

Already filed off the lawyer tabs, so my warranty is probably shot anyways. I can probably save 1/2 a gram by drilling out the rivets!

/kj

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's going to be my issue with my DA too. I don't want to drill it out yet because if I go to a hilly race I might want to go back to a double with a tighter cassette. I am just mad now that I missed the UPS delivery of my ring and new cassette. So now I have to wait another day to get the parts.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply

Prev Next