Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Show me your 1 X ?? build [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
Tri_Joeri wrote:

I've been thinking about the best way for me to go to 1x, but I'm having some difficulties. Right now I have a 11-28 11 speed Shimano cassette so 11-12-13-14-15-17-19-21-23-25-28 gears, and 52/36 chain rings in the front. Even though I'm still spinning around 95rpm, the shift from 52x19 to 52x17 but mostly from 52x17 to 52x15 often feels heavy, leaving me spinning at over 100rpm to keep the speed over 40km/h (25mph). The Miche 14-32 cassette seems ideal in that it has 14-15-16-17-18-19-21-23-25-28-32 gears so I have smaller jumps in that range. However, that kinda limits my max speed. And if I'd want my chain line to be as straight as possible at race speeds, I'd need a 56 front chain ring (4.1-4.2W/kg FTP, 65-66kg). The 56x32 still allows me to ride up a hill at around 20km/h (12.5mph) at a cadance of 90-95, which was about the speed I did up 1-2.5km climbs at 5-6% average during the 70.3 Luxembourg recon I did. However the 56 seems a bit daunting being a little guy and having about 600m (1800ft) of climbing on course..

There are 11-32 cassettes with a 16t out there. The options I was considering:
Edco 11-12-13-14-15-16-18-21-24-28-32
Rotor 11-12-13-14-15-16-18-20-23-27-32

These are good options for having small jumps for most of the cassette while still having 11-32 range.

Thanks for the suggestion! The Rotor one seems like a good option paired with a 54t chain ring, although with the jump from 18 to 16 I'm wondering if it will feel as heavy as it does now from 52x17 to 52x15 since I don't have the 17t on the Rotor or Edco cassettes.
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your 1 X ?? build [Tri_Joeri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The "heaviness" 16-18 jump will be right in between that of a 15-17 jump and a 17-19 jump.
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your 1 X ?? build [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Premier Tactical 1x. Pretty crap photos as it has been on the trainer for a while. Hope to get it outside soon.

I have since put a longer chain on so the derailleur is not so far forward. 11-25t & 1x Absolute Black 50t.
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your 1 X ?? build [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you provide some info on the carbon chainring cover I assume?

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your 1 X ?? build [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cmscat50 wrote:
Can you provide some info on the carbon chainring cover I assume?

Glen (Alden Carbon) made it based on measurements I provided. Really pleasant to work with and does good work at an even better price. Glued it on with JB Weld.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I keep seeing that ‘show me your 1x’ so I guess I’ll finally post. Pretty basic setup, stripped down from the etap. The 1x is SRAM Force1, 50T upfront when I am not running a 52 oval, and XG-1190-A-2 11-28 cassette. I have a 32t if there is going to be any real climbing. For short course I take the top tube bag and bottle cages off and just run an x-lab hydroblade which is just like the Torhans except it isn’t garbage. Wheels are setup tubeless so I don’t worry about carrying a flat kit. Just a C02 and head in my pocket just in case. It is just over 19lbs in weight. I am thinking about going to AXS because it has been great on my other bikes.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those wheels have got to be light. Regardless, colour me impressed! I thought I had a good weight on my Da at 17.75, but sub 15?? Well done and she looks sharp too.

BMANX wrote:
Finally have my build ready to test ride.

14.75 lbs. of aero goodness. I have a few more tweaks to make but it will get its maiden voyage this weekend.

Brake pads shown are for tomorrows ride as I will use my FLO 30's

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Re: Show me your 1 X ?? build [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you. The wheels are about 1282g , Conti SS tires are about 160g each and the tubes are about 56g each so a nice light aero set up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Updated picture.
Gutted left shifter, new 40t front narrow/wide ring and steerer cut to size finally.

Last edited by: BMANX: Aug 19, 19 12:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Decided to get my P4 back in order...just couldn’t get over the 21 lb speed concept...this is just under 18..:

https://postimg.cc/gallery/1gvf36ps2/
Last edited by: zooropa: Aug 24, 19 4:58
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your 1 X ?? build [zooropa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stunning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just finished the build. Lots of tri rig with an aero coach 1x 54tooth.
Everything is smooth as silk
TriRig brakes, Skewers,delta cover and alpha one aerobars.
Last edited by: jtriathlete: Aug 23, 19 18:23
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your 1 X ?? build [jtriathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can’t wait to see it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right. I can’t seem to post a photo from the phone! 🤨

Jim Hallberg
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your 1 X ?? build [jtriathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can’t either so not a worry
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Dash saddle, Sram etap, Tri rig Alpha one aerobars, Tririg omega x brakes, Try rig delta cover. Aerocoach 1x 54T. (cause the 52 I had wasn't cutting it) And yes lots of high Vis reflective yellow. (Race wheels are Zipp disc 900 tubular, and Hed 3 front Tubular)

Jim Hallberg
USAC level II
USAT Level I
http://www.d3multisport.com
WATTS UP!!
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your 1 X ?? build [georged] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
georged wrote:
I wonder when we'll get 1x12. If 11 is good, 12 must be better, right?

For a couple of weeks I have been thinking about doing a 1x12 mechanical TT build. The other night I finally decided to do so and it was a lot more straight forward that most would think. I will post photos later but in short, the only "12speed" components I used were a 10-33 AXS Force cassette and a 12speed Eagle (mtb) chain. Front ring is a 50t X-Sync. More to come...
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your 1 X ?? build [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My omni, M size with alpha 1, 165mm Dzero, 52T rotor 1x chainring, 12-25 cassette, speedplay zeroaero pedals dash saddle and 90/disc FLO wheels

Speed kills unless you have speed skills!!!
Last edited by: playero: Aug 25, 19 11:08
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your 1 X ?? build [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I figured out Miche allows you to basically completely configurate a cassette. So after some thought, a 12-13-14-15-16-17-18-20-23-27-32 cassette paired with a 52T front chain ring seems like it gives me the necessary range while maintaining small jumps at or above race speed. 16-17-18 will give me the straightest chain at my race speeds, and 27 and 32 can serve as bailout on hillier parts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks good to me!

I should probably mention that my attempt to combine Shimano cassettes hasn't worked very well. When you create a spot where the shift ramps don't line up properly, the shifting gets balky. Hopefully the Miche design is more forgiving of customization.
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your 1 X ?? build [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! What kind of shift ramp do you mean that was giving you issues? I didn't see any issues in the jumps I'm going to have since on a mountainbike cassette you often have bigger (5 teeth) jumps in between gears but I'm a newb when it comes to 1x so I might be wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri_Joeri wrote:
What kind of shift ramp do you mean that was giving you issues?
rruff is referring to how the cogs are shaped.

Here's a close-up of a six-speed SunTour Perfect freewheel, a common design circa 1980:

Although some of the teeth are tapered at the tip, the cogs mostly have a very simple shape, almost like using a cog-shaped cookie cutter on a steel sheet.

Here's a modern six-speed Shimano TZ20 freewheel:

Notice how the cogs have more complex profiles. Not only are the teeth tapered much thinner, there are also areas where the cogs have "lowered" regions, and there are round pins embedded in the cogs.

This sort of cog shaping was introduced in the late 1980s by Shimano, who branded it "hyperglide." It has since become ubiquitous. These shapes are the "shift ramps" being referred to.

With the older-style cogs, the derailleur needs to practically rip the chain up and off of a cog and then drop in onto the next cog. Modern tooth profiling helps the chain "flow" off of a cog, and (especially on shifts to larger cogs) helps the next cog "catch" the chain and get it flowing onto itself.

The thing is, in order to work properly, the shapes rely on the links of the chain being positioned and oriented a certain way. This depends on the cog that's being shifted from. The 28-tooth cog on that TZ20 freewheel is specifically designed to be paired with the 24-tooth cog next to it, and so on.
When you combine two mismatched cassettes to create a custom cassette, the cogs at the "joint" aren't necessarily designed to be paired with each other, and the shift between them might be un-smooth as a result. Sometimes it ends up working fine anyway, sometimes it doesn't.

This same stuff is true of chainrings. If a 50-tooth chainring is designed to be paired with a 34-tooth small ring, and you swap the 34-tooth small ring with a 36-tooth chainring, the upshift from the small ring to the big ring might suffer. It might not suffer, but it certainly isn't guaranteed to work well.
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your 1 X ?? build [HTupolev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That all makes sense, thanks for the explanation! Learned something new again :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know 1x is a bit in trend now in TRi and I nearly bought into it, but I don’t see the point. If you have ever been in a race and just stuck between gears with your effort it sucks. Back when I raced on 2x9 this was an issue, 2x10 occasionally and now 2x11 rarely, if you go 1x this will be an issue all the time. If I see a big hill it’s not hard for me to bang it in the small chain ring and climb it, if I’m on the flats having close shifting gears it is important to me. Also, it doesn’t seem to save money to do this build, the wind tunnel data doesn’t back it up either. And who really wants to be changing front chain rings and adjusting links in your chain every time there is a new course on your race plan. Let’s leave 1x to MTB and stick with what is best for tri, 2x.
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your 1 X ?? build [Gilliga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
However I should also add, thanks for sharing your builds I appreciate everyone has their own best set ups and you all have done some cool stuff.
Quote Reply

Prev Next