Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Show me your 1 X ?? build [duduardoman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got bored the other day and removed the hanger from my Speed Concept. Need to clean it up a bit as the adhesive took a little with it even after the heat gun treatment.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Last edited by: Morelock: Jun 19, 17 8:08
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your 1 X ?? build [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is the protocol for this "heat gun treatment"?

I drilled out the rivets on my Speed Concept but then gave up and haven't bothered trying to pry off the hanger.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your 1 X ?? build [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I put it on high for about 30" (depends on the power of your heat gun I suppose, you just want to warm up the metal and adhesive a bit, not get it white hot or anything) jammed a screwdriver into the hole (where the fd mounts) and lifted lightly. It actually popped off with little pressure, could have done it with my hands (well... with thick gloves)

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your 1 X ?? build [RussTKD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RussTKD wrote:
P2 with a bunch of SRAM Force 1x stuff and a Zipp Vuka Stealth cockpit:

do you have any pics of your fit with this setup?
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your 1 X ?? build [MacCTD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check out USA Made Components; they have a line of narrow-wide chainrings that fit both 110 and 130, ranging from 38T to 48T. And you can't beat the price! https://usamade.myshopify.com/...h-pro-130-bcd?page=1
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your 1 X ?? build [jjstains] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jjstains wrote:
Check out USA Made Components; they have a line of narrow-wide chainrings that fit both 110 and 130, ranging from 38T to 48T. And you can't beat the price! https://usamade.myshopify.com/...h-pro-130-bcd?page=1

Those look good, is the 1/8" for 11 speed and the 3/32 for 9 and 10 speed. I want to do 11 speed and they do not specifically state they are 11 speed compatible.
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your 1 X ?? build [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone running a Sram Rival 1 crank set, thinking this may be a better option than getting a narrow wide chainring for my current crank set.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you like your current crank, just get a SRAM 1x ring for it. The offset makes it play a little nicer moving all the way up and down the cassette. I have used 5-6 different 1x rings and the SRAM ones are really great when using the outer positing on a 2x spider. I'm not aware of other 1x rings made with an offset (to keep a decent chainline in the outer 2x position), but I can't say I have been looking in the last year.

The Rival crank isn't bad, but there's not many cranks out there it would be considered an 'upgrade' to.
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your 1 X ?? build [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:
If you like your current crank, just get a SRAM 1x ring for it. The offset makes it play a little nicer moving all the way up and down the cassette. I have used 5-6 different 1x rings and the SRAM ones are really great when using the outer positing on a 2x spider. I'm not aware of other 1x rings made with an offset (to keep a decent chainline in the outer 2x position), but I can't say I have been looking in the last year.

The Rival crank isn't bad, but there's not many cranks out there it would be considered an 'upgrade' to.

Agree that Rival is not high end, I currently have a FSA Team CF cankset which is 130BCD, limited chainring choices, and uses an older style BB.
I was thinking the Rival 1 would give me a better chain line also.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MacCTD wrote:
dangle wrote:

Agree that Rival is not high end, I currently have a FSA Team CF cankset which is 130BCD, limited chainring choices, and uses an older style BB.
I was thinking the Rival 1 would give me a better chain line also.

I'm not disagreeing with you, just pointing out that the "1x" SRAM cranks are the exact same thing as their 2x cranks except the logo. The spiders are identical. The only difference is their 1x rings are offset so that the actual teeth line up in the center (of where the 2 rings would on a 2x setup). If you lay a SRAM 1x ring on a flat surface with most other 1x rings, the SRAM ring will be a few mm thicker because they need extra material to offset the teeth (6mm?) from the mounting holes. It keeps the SKU's (and costs) down for SRAM and provides some welcome interchangeability. The chainline argument is sort of out of the window since the chainring is what 'centers' it in the SRAM instance.

You're spot on with the 130 bcd limiting choices. I don't think many triathletes that pay for their own equipment have any business riding a 52 or 54 front ring. I'm a 50 up front and by the time I shift down the 11 on the tri bike, I'm usually better off tucking in tight and coasting. My 'gravel' setup is 42x11 and even that is enough top end.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are my choices for 11 speed bar end shifters? looks like only a couple options out there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MacCTD wrote:
What are my choices for 11 speed bar end shifters? looks like only a couple options out there.

I don't know what derailleur you are using. Shimano and Microshift work fine for Shimano derailleurs and I like the 'look' of the Microshift way better. I have never seen anything that allows you to buy only the right/rear shifter.

I took apart my Shimano 10 speed bar end shifters and 11 speed bar ends shifters and the only difference was the little toothy gear ring on the right/rear shifter and one piece was black instead of silver. I had once read there was an African company that (I don't know anything about patent laws, so forgive me here) was making small parts so people could upgrade SRAM mt bike shifters and Shimano bar end shifters to 11 speed for $20-30 by replacing the one part instead of shelling out $100+. I can find reference to the SRAM solution, but nothing else.

One thing to note, my left shoulder was driving me crazy when I went 1x. I had a rounded bar end plug, pushed the extension out a little, rotated.....but it wasn't until I put the front shifter back on that my shoulder pain went away. Holding the shifter vs. holding the extension was way more comfortable for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:
I'm not disagreeing with you, just pointing out that the "1x" SRAM cranks are the exact same thing as their 2x cranks except the logo. The spiders are identical. The only difference is their 1x rings are offset so that the actual teeth line up in the center (of where the 2 rings would on a 2x setup). If you lay a SRAM 1x ring on a flat surface with most other 1x rings, the SRAM ring will be a few mm thicker because they need extra material to offset the teeth (6mm?) from the mounting holes. It keeps the SKU's (and costs) down for SRAM and provides some welcome interchangeability. The chainline argument is sort of out of the window since the chainring is what 'centers' it in the SRAM instance.

You're spot on with the 130 bcd limiting choices. I don't think many triathletes that pay for their own equipment have any business riding a 52 or 54 front ring. I'm a 50 up front and by the time I shift down the 11 on the tri bike, I'm usually better off tucking in tight and coasting. My 'gravel' setup is 42x11 and even that is enough top end.
Agree with you on the cranks being the same and the offset on the 1x rings... I used my old Force22 cranks to mount my 50t 1x SRAM ring...

I bought a 130 spider and swapped it out to try a 54t 1x SRAM ring and so far I like it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ordered all the pieces today, found a place that sells just the 11 speed single shifter, thanks for the link to the place that sells the kit to change from 10 to 11, figured for a few dollars more I would just get a new shifter.
I needed a new bottom bracket and the cost for the whole crankset is not that much more than the X-Sync ring by itself so I figured I would upgrade to the newer stuff. Not sure I mentioned it but going from 53/39 with 12-25, the new gearing will give me a little more climbing power and a little more on the top end, based on previous races both changes will be beneficial.
I will post an update once I have it all together, this is what I got for right around $350
Rival 1 crankset with 50t X-Sync
Rival 1 medium cage 2.1 derailleur
GXP team bottom bracket
1130 cassette 11-36
1130 120 link chain
Sram 500 11 speed shifter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Show me your 1 X ?? build [P McCatty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is NICE!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very clean. Swap in some Speedplay pedals and Viewspeed skewers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MacCTD wrote:
What rear derailleur do you have? Many shifter choices... I'm a SRAM user, so with SRAM you have 11 speed in two flavors of the old school lever that moves up and down, two flavors of R2C and then there's E-tap with a couple of blip choices. Numbers are relative... but I think there are a lot of choices.

Shimano and Campy have options as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your 1 X ?? build [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am going to be using a SRAM Rival 1, I ended up going with a SRAM 500 shifter, there was a seller on Amazon that sells just the rear shifter instead of having to buy the pair.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is that a stock paint job? If it is what model/build is it?

I really like the look of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone successfully removed the mech hanger from a Scott Plasma (I'm on a plasma 3 premium - 2012)?
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your 1 X ?? build [pyrahna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pyrahna wrote:
Is that a stock paint job? If it is what model/build is it?

I really like the look of it.

I'm not sure of the model year, but it was originally a Blue/White Cervelo P2 that I got on close-out. I got it custom painted by Carbon Works out of Oakville Ontario. As the season goes on I'll be making a few more modifications - View Speed & FiberLyte immediately come to mind, along with other custom bits that I'm working on.

EDIT: If anyone has a TriRig Omega for sale, I'm all ears (looking for QTY 2).

Last edited by: P McCatty: Jun 29, 17 8:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MacCTD wrote:
Ordered all the pieces today, found a place that sells just the 11 speed single shifter, thanks for the link to the place that sells the kit to change from 10 to 11, figured for a few dollars more I would just get a new shifter.
I needed a new bottom bracket and the cost for the whole crankset is not that much more than the X-Sync ring by itself so I figured I would upgrade to the newer stuff. Not sure I mentioned it but going from 53/39 with 12-25, the new gearing will give me a little more climbing power and a little more on the top end, based on previous races both changes will be beneficial.
I will post an update once I have it all together, this is what I got for right around $350
Rival 1 crankset with 50t X-Sync
Rival 1 medium cage 2.1 derailleur
GXP team bottom bracket
1130 cassette 11-36
1130 120 link chain
Sram 500 11 speed shifter

Installed all the pieces last night, went together easily, couple slight adjustments to the derailleur and it is shifting fast and smooth throughout the entire range. Rode it for 2 hours on the trainer this morning working it through the gears, I did not notice the wide spread as the majority of my riding was in the area of the cassette that is all pretty close. Ended up buying a new set of wheels as my current rear hub could not be upgraded to 11 speed, went with a set of Shimano Ultegra wheels, seemed like a good compromise if I was only going to have one set of 11 speed wheels, they cost $330 which seemed pretty reasonable based on everything I have read about them.
I left the front derailleur cable in for now, I am pretty sure once I remove it it would be very hard to replace, I have read the routing for the D6 is pretty bad for the front. Will probably ride it outside this weekend to try it on the hills but so far so good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I have my mind made up that I'm going to go 1x on my tri bike next season. I have some questions for the 1x mafia.

1. I would like to have 11-32 and 11-36 cassettes, running the 32 most of time and just having the 36 if I have a ride with excessively steep stuff. Will the same chain work with those 2 cassettes? Thinki ng about length with those extra 4 teeth. Not that it'd be a big issue or cost to have a 2nd chain, but I'd just like to know ahead of time. I also have an 11-28 I can use if I'm racing a very flat course, so question goes for that one as well, but assuming 32 and 36 would be main cassettes so more concerned about just those two.

2. I have a 2011 cannondale slice frame. Front der hanger is riveted on. I've read what I can about removing rivets and prying the hanger off, but has anyone just cut the protruding part of a hanger off? I'm afraid of damaging the frame with the heat gun/pry off method. If I like the 1x I'm going to want to get rid of that hanger if I can so it looks clean (and aero, duh!), just want to re open discussion on what to do about those riveted hangers.
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your 1 X ?? build [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PBT_2009 wrote:

1. I would like to have 11-32 and 11-36 cassettes, running the 32 most of time and just having the 36 if I have a ride with excessively steep stuff. Will the same chain work with those 2 cassettes?

Chain it optimally for the 36, it will run on the 32 just fine. You'll only have one more full link that optimal for the 32, and the clutched SRAM 1x derailleur can handle that with no issue.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Oct 24, 17 6:20
Quote Reply

Prev Next