Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Show me your 1 X ?? build [sooners175] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, I love it. What type is the toptube bento? And do you race in black kit?

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your 1 X ?? build [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could also go to the 11-30 SRAM 22. You will not notice a differnence in the 11-28, but get the extra gear, when needed.
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your 1 X ?? build [georged] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bento is Bontrager speed box. Kit is predominately black. Bike is no longer 1x though. Upgraded to etap.
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your 1 X ?? build [Trentw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im in the market for a 1x bike and got an offer for a bike with 11-32 with a 54T chainring. In your experience with 50t 11-32 how difficult do you think 54t would be? It seems a little crazy and that a 52 would be better especially considering im not in a completely flat area but I'm also curious if anyone else has 54t 1x experience?

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your 1 X ?? build [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
Im in the market for a 1x bike and got an offer for a bike with 11-32 with a 54T chainring. In your experience with 50t 11-32 how difficult do you think 54t would be? It seems a little crazy and that a 52 would be better especially considering im not in a completely flat area but I'm also curious if anyone else has 54t 1x experience?

Playing with Sheldon Brown's gear ratio calculator (http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gear-calc.html)
it can be determined that a 54t with 32 rear has the same gear ratio as a 50t 30 rear. A 54t with an 11-34 would be the same for climbing as a 50t with 11-32.
Depending on your current ride, you can play with the different gear ratios and see how much gear you need. Find the equivalent of 54t-32 and see if you like it.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your 1 X ?? build [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have run both 54 and 52T 1x setups and decided to keep it at 52 in order to meek my chain line a bit more straight in the races I do. With an 11-32 there shouldn't be much of a range difference between the two. If you experience one then maybe your terrain is too varied for a 1x setup.
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your 1 X ?? build [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Finally pulled the trigger and got this going:

Argon 18 E-116
SRAM Red 170mm cranks
52T X-Sync w/ 11-32 10spd cassette
Force 1 derailleur
Zipp R2C shifters, and I kept the front shifter for grip and aesthetics.

Apologies for the shadows, was best pic I could get with some sunlight!

I migrated from SRAM 53/39 TT rings upfront, 11-28 XG cassette and full SRAM Red drivetrain. Gearing-wise this combo will be slightly tougher than 39/25 - good enough for the hills I ride here in Las Vegas for the most part, and motivation to get stronger anyway.

Can't thank the guys at Las Vegas Cyclery enough for the fast turnaround and very helpful talk-through of how the setup went. If ever anyone is in Vegas, see these guys, they are a great shop and do the best work in the city.
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your 1 X ?? build [zachboring] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just like to know how real-life riding has been - chain drops etc?

Does the etap RD keep enough tension on the chain, or do you think a clutch version is necessary?

Really want to do a 1x etap build, especially with the release of the mid-cage etap RD...
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your 1 X ?? build [jeremyebrock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeremyebrock wrote:
...Apologies for the shadows, was best pic I could get with some sunlight!...

Fuck you and your champagne problems... I think it's rained here something like 8 out of the last 9 days ~ just seeing a stray patch of blue sky off in the distance while driving is cause for excitement.
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your 1 X ?? build [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha so I shouldn't complain about the cold here in Vegas either?
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your 1 X ?? build [SAvan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SAvan wrote:
Just like to know how real-life riding has been - chain drops etc?

Does the etap RD keep enough tension on the chain, or do you think a clutch version is necessary?

Really want to do a 1x etap build, especially with the release of the mid-cage etap RD...

I don't have etap, but you absolutely do NOT need a clutch for chain retention. The narrow/wide ring handles that. I could see it helping if chain slap is a problem, but for riding on the road, a clutch is not required.

I have done 5 clutchless 1x builds (CX/commuter, road, road, mtb, TT) and the only dropped chains have come during crashes.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jeremyebrock wrote:

Cold & clear would be a major improvement right now (at least down to the mid/low teens anyway; below that gets to be pretty sucky again)... Instead our office soundtrack is the splatterblast of overflowing raingutters beating on the concrete 2 stories below in the alley behind our bldg. And it's only about 34*, but unlikely to get cold enough to actually snow, so it's the worst of both.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jeremyebrock wrote:

In Vegas this week and it's been absolutely PERFECT lol

Brent

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your 1 X ?? build [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks KJ

YMMV...
Hi have a 1x build currently on my TT bike. Initially I went with just a normal Sram mid-cage RD and did experience a couple chain drops even with a NW chainring (admittedly nearly all were at the exact same spot on my usual training ride - a fast downhill where there is a bumpy section I am in the 11t cog so low chain tension). It may also be that I have a custom oval NW chainring, so chain tension may not be consistent throughout the pedal stroke...

While the drops were very rare, it did start playing on my mind and bothering me so I decided to change to the Rival1 clutch RD and haven't had a chain drop since.... very happy and confident in this.

Anyways, given my experience with the non-clutch vs clutch RD I would feel a lot more comfortable running an etap 1X build if anyone has experience with it and think it is better than the sram non-clutch RDs...
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your 1 X ?? build [gabbiev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have SRAM Force 22 crankset (standard force 22 deur) and would like to switch to either absolute black direct mount
or Sram 1x chain ring (48 or 50t). Anyone have any experiences with the Absolute black on sram crank? Oher than
cost any pros/cons?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm considering a 1X build, but I'm not 100% sure on the chainring options. Do I need a chainring specifically designed for a 1X application (such as SRAM X-SYNC) or can I use any chainring? I'm looking for a 55 or 56 tooth option and there don't seem to be options out there that are designed for 1X.

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your 1 X ?? build [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Best to choose one that's designed for it really. We recommend that people ram in the B screw to increase tension which helps too, you might be alright on a normal ring if you run a short chain though?

AeroCoach UK
http://www.aero-coach.co.uk
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For that size I would contact Fibre-Lyte and have them build you one. I have a 50t on the way from them.

I have had extremely good luck with their single chainrings and do not use a clutch RD either.
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your 1 X ?? build [SAvan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SAvan wrote:
Anyways, given my experience with the non-clutch vs clutch RD I would feel a lot more comfortable running an etap 1X build if anyone has experience with it and think it is better than the sram non-clutch RDs...

But isn't the etap rear derailleur also a non-clutch??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with BMANX, fibre-lyte has made a couple of chainrings for me and I've always been impressed.
Xavier's (aerocoach) ARC chainrings can be custom made as well and look interesting.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your 1 X ?? build [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You do not need clutch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BMANX wrote:
For that size I would contact Fibre-Lyte and have them build you one. I have a 50t on the way from them.

I have had extremely good luck with their single chainrings and do not use a clutch RD either.

thanks for some reason I had forgotten about those guys - just went with a 56 - this is gonna be fun!

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just finished building my eTap Omni. It's just over 19 pounds with cages and pedals.

Last edited by: smjenkins: Jan 2, 17 21:20
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your 1 X ?? build [smjenkins] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice. What choices did you make with the 1x and rear cassette?

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:

thanks for some reason I had forgotten about those guys - just went with a 56 - this is gonna be fun!

Shit, 56? I'm a pretty good cyclist, but I was thinking 50 max. Which cassette will you use with that? Did you run a 1x at ultraman?

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply

Prev Next