Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shoulder Chafing while swimming
Quote | Reply
I've been doing a little more swimming lately and I'm starting to have some chafing on my shoulder where it contacts my cheek after a breath. I only breath on my left side and my left shoulder is the only one with this problem. It's almost starting to scab. I swim with a masters group in the evenings and have stubble by then if I shave in the morning.

Does anyone else have this problem?
Quote Reply
Re: Shoulder Chafing while swimming [Spartan_Pat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Might be a sign you’re crossing over.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Body glide before, and lotion after until the skin is healed up? I used to get chafing in my armpits and it usually resolved itself over time. Not swimming as much any more so I haven't had the need recently.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You’re probably crossing over and breathing late.

I have a tendency to do the same thing. It’s one of the main things I’m working on in practice

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe you need a shave??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spartan_Pat wrote:
I've been doing a little more swimming lately and I'm starting to have some chafing on my shoulder where it contacts my cheek after a breath. I only breath on my left side and my left shoulder is the only one with this problem. It's almost starting to scab. I swim with a masters group in the evenings and have stubble by then if I shave in the morning. Does anyone else have this problem?

I had this problem a few yrs ago and solved it by looking back when I breath, e.g. instead of looking straight out at the lane rope or side of pool, look back at the side of the pool behind you. Obv you don't want to lift your head but rather just angle your chin back a bit, kind of like Popeye in those old spinach commercials. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did when I swam more .. like others have pointed out it was probably a technique issue as I always breathe on my right side. I used Vaseline during swimming and post swimming ... did the trick to stop my skin from chafing and also get it to heal more quickly when I used it afterwards.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spartan_Pat wrote:
I swim with a masters group in the evenings and have stubble by then if I shave in the morning.

Then your shaving technique leaves much to be desired. Shave correctly and with the right tools, you won't have stubble in the evening.

Seriously. Not pink.

Greetings from the German Wine Route,
Roland
Quote Reply
Re: Shoulder Chafing while swimming [snail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second the vaseline.
My armpit get chafed between my triceps and latisimus. This tends to go away as I get to race weight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get it on the same side as i breath but it is not during my breath that it scrubs but during the reach on my non breathing stroke.. maybe i am reaching over a bit but i always have some stubble on my chin with a small goatee or vandyke however you want to call it.
Quote Reply
Re: Shoulder Chafing while swimming [Bioteknik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to have this too. As others have said, it was a technique issue. If I recall correctly a combination of looking back, timing, not crossing over and getting full rotation. I don’t think it was just one thing with me that necessarily fixed it.
Quote Reply
Re: Shoulder Chafing while swimming [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. I definitely have a cross over. If this is it, I should be thankful for such a strong cue
Quote Reply