Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Should you remove the rear derailleur when packing a bike?
Quote | Reply
When packing a bike for travel in a clam shell style case should you remove the rear derailleur? If not should it be facing the top of the box or bottom or does it not matter?

------------------------------------------------------------
Matt
NSDQ!
Quote Reply
Re: Should you remove the rear derailleur when packing a bike? [citadeltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Should be able to leave it on...you really think UPS cares what side is up?

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Should you remove the rear derailleur when packing a bike? [citadeltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I unbolt it. It's a snap and it's cheap insurance.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never do....my buddy always does.

I've never had a problem.....he recently stripped his hanger.

You decide which is right for you.

Clam shell bottom

Foam

Wheels (floor plump, misc gear)

Foam

Frame (w/bar folded and seat post off) derailluer on the inside

Wetsuit

Foam

Clam shell top
Quote Reply
Re: Should you remove the rear derailleur when packing a bike? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with Tom. Remove it (but not the cable) and stick it in a plastic bag and tape up the bag so that it does not scratch up your frame or anything else.
Last edited by: devashish paul: Apr 19, 05 14:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have done both. Shipped in a Trico, on the first trip my 58cm frame had the rear D cable damaged when leaving it attached. So, I take it off now.

Always shipped it facing up before adding foam then wheels.

Pink.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I unbolt it and cable tie it to the frame so it won't move around at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I left it bolted on when traveling to Halfmax last year. Day before the race I noticed it was shifting funny so I had it checked by mechanic @ site (on race morning!)---it was slightly bent. Luckily he tweeked it back into place and everything was fine. Needless to say I take it off from now on.

RunFAR Racing Services
http://www.Run-far.com
Team Cambridge
Hilltop Bicycle Repair
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Regardless of what you do with the derailleur (I usually take them off in our TriAll3 case, and wrap them in bubble wrap and a bag), be sure you put some sort of spacer between the dropouts to keep them solidly spread. An old hub with a quick release works great but is kind of heavy, you can accomplish pretty much the same thing with a notched dowel or similar piece of wood and some electrical tape, or a purpose built gizmo that might have come with a new bike, or even some threaded stock and some washers and nuts.
Quote Reply
Re: Should you remove the rear derailleur when packing a bike? [runningmanrick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I unbolt 100% of the time. The only thing to be careful about is not to cross thread it on the way back in. The risks of not unbolting it are damage to the derail or frame, or not having working shifting in the event. If you can just thread the derail in without messing up one bolt you are safe. Saying that, it is pretty easy to mess it up, but no easier to mess up than pedals. G
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always take mine off, takes 10 seconds and has never been a problem putting it back on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well last time I shipped my bike, the rear derailleur got crushed.. cost me 100$.. That was with fedex and I didn't take a picture so they never reimbursed me.. this time, not sure what I will do, I don't know how to "unbolt" a rear derailleur!
Quote Reply
Re: Should you remove the rear derailleur when packing a bike? [Marisol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's pretty easy...just need the appropriate hex wrench. If you are not comfortable experimenting, have your someone show you how to do it, and how to put it back on. If all you do is unbolt it, you won't have to adjust anything at all when you put it back on...
Quote Reply